Barrel length and extended chokes

Nfinlay22

Hi all, just want to clear up this one in my mind please. Traditionally everyone always associated a long barrel or extended with extra killing power or distance. I have read online that there is no difference in the performance of a 26'' shotgun 12g and 34'' shotgun other than a few FPS in velocity. Inturn for super extended chokes other than making the chokes easy to remove and identify this also doesn't affect pattern or distance shot can penetrate. I tend to shoot at quarry too far away sometimes and stuck by the old wife's tale that a lengthy barrels and a tight choke would take birds out of the clouds.... After reading online looks like I am wrong .. comments welcome

As above really, longer barrels in the spectrum of commercially available barrels and loads won’t make any significant difference to muzzle velocity. They do affect the balance and handling of a shotgun and that is why it is some preference to have longer ones as it makes it easier to maintain a swing once the barrels are moving. Shorter barrels are easier to poke which isn’t necessarily a good thing with shotguns. 

Chokes do make a huge difference to spread pattern and density and the above statements are correct but I will add that with a longer choke the constriction can be made less severe, and this can have small effect on felt recoil. It can also effect how efficient the choke is regarding the pattern but these differences may be difficult to quantify, and may not be applicable to all commercially avaiable shells.