Spinone

Fen tiger

Spinone has anybody got one? What they like in water, i am due a new HPR my GSP is 5 and i am starting to think about a Breed with a bit more coat and a slower pace of work. My curent GSP is a powerhouse of a dog, i want a slower paced HPR for a change . What are the Spinones like. ?

If you have the time and patience, they can be great.  They love to work but can have a stubborn streak and want to do things their way.  Males tend to work faster and further than bitches but both will go all day and still be ready for more. 

You may struggle to find one with working champions in their pedigree but I think most have it in them to work.

My first one worked till she was 11.5, she literally worked till the day she died.  I got a male to replace her and he's just finished working his second season and I couldn't be more pleased with him.

On 13/03/2019 at 21:16, Marty J said:

If you have the time and patience, they can be great.  They love to work but can have a stubborn streak and want to do things their way.  Males tend to work faster and further than bitches but both will go all day and still be ready for more. 

You may struggle to find one with working champions in their pedigree but I think most have it in them to work.

My first one worked till she was 11.5, she literally worked till the day she died.  I got a male to replace her and he's just finished working his second season and I couldn't be more pleased with him.

What kind of work you using them for? 

Whats their style? 

Nice to see :) 

I use them on a walk one stand one shoot, which isn't the best thing for an HPR, as they soon learn that when they go on point a spaniel or lab will run in and flush the bird.

That said my two year old will still try his best and will point and flush birds for me, normally I let him down by missing them!

They have a naturally steady style and work at a jogging pace.

I'm sure the spinone club used to organise spring counting tests and FT's through in the borders this k was in about Lauder somewhere.

Wouldn't,t surprise me if was soon usually about the end march)start April time.

Be worth travelling up for a look and meet some breeders although. Not sure how many spinones run as open to all breeds. Used to be another test nearby the following day.

The few I've seen were quite slow and plodding dogs (which in fairness probably looked even slower as the rest of field had some very hot Gsp, Gwp and KG who were almost setting the heather on fire) so 2 very different extremes.

But they covered ground well although slower and really didn't miss much

54 minutes ago, scotslad said:

I'm sure the spinone club used to organise spring counting tests and FT's through in the borders this k was in about Lauder somewhere.

Wouldn't,t surprise me if was soon usually about the end march)start April time.

Be worth travelling up for a look and meet some breeders although. Not sure how many spinones run as open to all breeds. Used to be another test nearby the following day.

The few I've seen were quite slow and plodding dogs (which in fairness probably looked even slower as the rest of field had some very hot Gsp, Gwp and KG who were almost setting the heather on fire) so 2 very different extremes.

But they covered ground well although slower and really didn't miss much

They usually have a Grouse pointing test end of March at Wemmergill Moor near Barnard Castle.

3 hours ago, Marty J said:

They usually have a Grouse pointing test end of March at Wemmergill Moor near Barnard Castle.

That 1 would be a good 1 too watch a very well run moor so should be plenty off points/grouse

I'M m just thinking it's mibbee the bracco' s that hold the test at Lauder

If ur into hprs at all now is a cracking time of year to seedogs work at spring counting tasts

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Had a spinone cross GWP bitch ,so biddable and easy trained, the spinone blood slows them down a bit in a good way,fantastic water dog had to stop her leaping in off bank sides regular,and a great retriever,had to believe her on a scent even if you did not think it was in that direction,she was normally correct.Would have another of this cross any day.

Edited by williamwansbeck

On 18/03/2019 at 07:40, bruno22rf said:

Friends of mine have 6 or 7 of them - I cannot believe anyone could use them for hunting - they are so slow, clumsy and difficult to train. 

Yer know what they say..."Slowly slowly catchee monkey"

Out shooting up in North Wales many moons ago , now a famouse high bird shoot.  A hen pheasant had been shot and the gun had it marked in some heavy cover. About six spaniels and three or four labs, including mine almost destroyed that area and never picked it and someone suggested it may have run on.  A friend then arrived with his 13yr old lab bitch and she slowly walked up into the cover, picked the bird and strolled back looking around as if to say, "Is this what you all were looking for?"   A few red faces including mine and my friend never failed to remind us of it for many years.  Certainly this THING about speed has all but destroyed labradors.  

• 5 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Marty J said:

How's she settling in?

Really well. Loves a nibble which hopefully she will grow out of. Loves meeting new people & dog's. Sleeps all though the night house trained from the day we picked her up,sit's on command good on the lead. Looking forward to her getting older so i can start training her.