Mole trap markers

30-6

Like i've mentioned before, i trap moles on a friends farm to help him out and for a hobby / exercise. I have tried various trap marking systems, but still have not found the perfect set up.

I have used cane sticks in the past but these are not ideal. I am using at the moment barbecue skewers with red / white hazard warning tape tied to them, these are great - easy to find and are visible to tractor drivers, but have one BIG fault, they are irresistible to sheep. I try to work around the stock, but this year due to lamb prices being not too good they are late going to market so are still on the farm at the moment.

GPS is not an option, and taking into account markers must be easy to carry / visible to tractors / animal proof, does anybody have the ULTIMATE trap marking system ?

The local farmer is trying to get planning permission for 100+ houses. There has been an environmental? survey in the field and lots of small black boxes placed in the hedgerows. These are marked by a small yellow flag on very thin metal rods pushed into the ground. They are about 12 inches long and the flag is about 6 inches wide. You can see them a good distance away. If i remember i will take a photo tomorrow and put it up.

like this :

https://www.enviroequipment.com/supplies/survey-pin-flags

image.png.77ccff62fb08f2a5132d67c546f5e922.png

The ones in the field are yellow and i would say stand out more than the red ones.

Edited by silver pigeon69

Konnie, if I got those and he got his hands on them I would never see them again. LOL

Silver pigeon 69, yeah they look good, but if made of plastic would probably suffer the same fate as the hazard tape, unless they are available in hard plastic, I will do a Google now and see. Those boxes in the hedge are to check out what mice are in the area.

I have had a similar problem in fields with cows in. I can spot my mounds ok where I have set traps as I put a small piece of turf on top and the mounds are distinctive, until a cow kicks one that is. So I also tie a piece of white ribbon in the fence at 90 degrees. First wire up - up to 10 paces, second 10 to 20 paces etc. As most traps are set on the way out to feeding areas or along fence/hedge lines where the moles are travelling between feeding areas and are close to fences in general this works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying another marker now. I have zip clipped and heat shrink tubed hard plastic plant markers onto kebab sticks, in the hope that sheep leave them alone, a lot of them are going to market next week.

Thanks for all the input. A lot of good ideas for future use.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

You can get a roll of hi vis tape (none adhesive) from the hard ware store tie a length of this to the trap and do whatever you normally do to cover the trap, the end of the tape lays on the ground and is easily visible.... the traps can also be lifted by using the tape,,,,, I use this on both putang and duffus traps,,,, works for me and the tape isn’t easy to lose as it’s attached to the trap,,,, also keeps the site of a trap low profile, and won’t be lost due to animal traffic.......

Like I have mentioned earlier, the sheep are like locusts and chew anything in their path, so any type of tape is fair game to them.

My latest ploy is marker cones like kids use in playgrounds, they are stackable, light, bright orange and can be pegged down and used over and over.

These markers are only to show tractor drivers to be aware. I can work out where the traps are.

Here's hoping 😀