Ford Fiesta

unico1

Currently my wife drives Vw Polo diesel, only doing short journeys ain’t doing it much good. Just had new EGR, DPF currently has a hole in it.... Anyway come to the conclusion of a petrol would be more justified for her nipping around. Quite fancy newish Fiesta eco boost. Wondering if any one runs a Fiesta and what they are like. Many thanks.

Top Gear magazine hacks absolutely worship Fiestas but they don't have to own them. Surely the overheating engine blow ups are sorted by now, so I reckon your lady would be perfectly happy with one if she doesn't run up a high mileage.

It is after all a Ford and trouble free long term motoring - certainly beyond 80K miles and especially on our 3rd world roads - really is not their strong point.

How much are you looking to spend? 

My missus had a 1.2 tsi polo which was an absolute blast to drive but would still return well over 55 to the gallon. 

I recently drove a 68 plate golf 1.5 tsi around 200 miles and had 53.5  to the gallon average, the diesel focus my partner was using was struggling to hit 51! 

Wouldn't but a new ford for love nor money. 

I had a 1.4 petrol fiesta and was concerned that the 1.0 Eco would no be as good. When I drove it I was very pleased how it went, have had it now for 4 years and really please with it. Have had new Vw polo and several new fiestas and this is the best yet. Really can not fault it so if I was you I would go and ask Ford to let you test drive one, you will be supprised.

We have a few and most people are pleasant surprised. They can hold their own on a long commute and yet pottering around are frugal enough. 

Never known one to play up but I don’t drive them that often. I do hear the moans of a small fuel tank meaning on long trips it may require a refuel before or during the trip home

Me and the Mrs were in the same situation you describe pretty much. VW Golf MK5 TDI 105bhp (PD engine), Journey`s are 4.5 mile each way four times a day and it was not a lifestyle that suited the Golf. I have always had VW`s bar 6 months with a Pug and they have always been great. But with 140k on the clock it was time to replace it and shift to a petrol, with parking spaces getting smaller the wife wanted a smaller car too. So we looked at Ford`s as before we met she had a Focus that she loved, I was not so keen to move away from the VW brand so we drove a 1ltr 100ish bhp Polo....... We were both disappointed with it.

So I caved in and we drove a 1ltr eco boost 100bhp 3dr and am happy to hold my hands up and say its wiped the floor with the Polo as far as we were concerned. So first week of December we bought a 2 year old 3 door 100bhp Fiesta eco boost 4k miles, its great and we love it. It also shifts just fine, we are happy owners. :good:

On 16/03/2019 at 07:16, Jasonk said:

Had a fabia and it was fantastic only changed it because we needed a bigger car so now have a karoq would definitely recommend giving one a go

Chap at work has a diesel one and its on its return from the moon with the amount of miles its done. He won't part with it and swears that other than servicing and brakes/tyres its not needed anything. When the wife's car needs changing I will give then a serious look.

21 minutes ago, walshie said:

I had a Focus 1.0 ecoboost recently as a courtesy car. Supposedly 60+mpg. I had the average mpg down to low 40s by the time i gave it back and I wasn't even caning it. Went well enough though. 

Which is exactly the problem with all those low capacity turbo engines. They can deliver really good mpg figures but the operating envelope for high mpg is much smaller than a non turbo engine of similar output. In other words the mpg is great on engines such as the Ecoboost as long as you drive economically, otherwise the mpg is pretty mediocre. Non turbo engines have a somewhat larger efficiency envelope, meaning less drop in mpg when driving in traffic or hills etc.

2 hours ago, walshie said:

I had a Focus 1.0 ecoboost recently as a courtesy car. Supposedly 60+mpg. I had the average mpg down to low 40s by the time i gave it back and I wasn't even caning it. Went well enough though. 

I used to drive the wifes ecoboost gently and easily average 57/60mpg on a run with CC set at 60mph.Thing was a tad over 2k rpm.

Wife on the other had used to  rag it about and only average 40/45ish. You cant help yourself to be honest as the boost from the little turbo is addictive.

She now runs a 2017 Suzuki Ignis (little white thing in my avitar)(was mine but she took it)Cracking little 1.2 dueljet engine,smooth and very comfortable car.I had it down York a few month back & it averaged 67mpg @ 60mph.Lovely little roomy car but ugley as sin from the back.We've had it 2yrs a still park it with its rear against the wall lol.Would defiantly have another Suzuki with the 1.2 dueljet  engine.I know they do a ecoboost as well but personally i like their naturally aspirated dueljet.Cracking engine,smooth,free revving,plenty of poke for what it is, but excellent MPG.Even round town we are averaging 50/54mpg

Edited by Davyo

My wife bought a new 1.4 petrol Hyundai i30, was delighted with it, so when I needed a new car, I bought the 1.6 i30 CRDI.

Both very nippy, handle well and have good mpg. Cheap to service too.

Our daughter then got the i20 and she also loves it.

So, yes, we would recommend the Hyundai i range.