Which caller works on rooks?

Sphil

Hi all, 

I’ve been looking at crow calls on the internet, but I’m not sure which is best and which is most effective on rooks and jacksaws as they are the most common on my farm.

If any of you have experience, your help is appreciated.

Edited by Sphil

10 hours ago, Sphil said:

Hi all, 

I’ve been looking at crow calls on the internet, but I’m not sure which is best and which is most effective on rooks and jacksaws as they are the most common on my farm.

If any of you have experience, your help is appreciated.

Just in case you don't know (not sure when you say you've been looking at calls online), but far better to say this than potentially see you finding yourself in trouble.

It is illegal to use any form of electronic call to bring birds in for the purpose of capture or killing

8 hours ago, B725 said:

Primos works for me. 

Thanks 

8 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

The Primos Power Crow call works well, once you learn how to use it. I've had good success rates calling Crows, Rooks and Jackdaws.

Okay thanks 

7 hours ago, B B said:

use a Lohman crow call had it years.

video on the Lohman off youtube .

Thanks for the helpful video 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

I only have experience of the Primos, but it works.

Yeah sounds like the most popular one 

27 minutes ago, robbiep said:

Just in case you don't know (not sure when you say you've been looking at calls online), but far better to say this than potentially see you finding yourself in trouble.

It is illegal to use any form of electronic call to bring birds in for the purpose of capture or killing

Yeah I was looking into the whistle calls anyway, but thanks for reminding me 

10 hours ago, Scully said:

I only have experience of the Primos, but it works.

In my opinion, it's the best caller. I can call in Crows, Rooks, Jackdaw's and even Seagulls (just to prove to a mate that I could 'bring one in)

The Sam Neyt is good, but costs approx 3 times more than the Primos, and the Primos does everythnig and more than it

2 minutes ago, Sphil said:

Does the primos still take some skill and practice?

Yes, throw away the instructions and listen to the birds. 

When I first got mine, mate was convinced I could call in trains! Nearly every time I blew on it a Carlisle to Settle train would trundle past in the distance! 🙂

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Yes, throw away the instructions and listen to the birds. 

When I first got mine, mate was convinced I could call in trains! Nearly every time I blew on it a Carlisle to Settle train would trundle past in the distance! 🙂

Hahahaha 

On 15/03/2019 at 16:55, steve_b_wales said:

In my opinion, it's the best caller. I can call in Crows, Rooks, Jackdaw's and even Seagulls (just to prove to a mate that I could 'bring one in)

The Sam Neyt is good, but costs approx 3 times more than the Primos, and the Primos does everythnig and more than it

Its is nearly as good Steve... haha. 

The Sam Neyt is far easier to master 😬

Whatever call you get it will take some practice to get it right. Good advice is to do this practice whilst alone over the fields and well away from mates and/or family unless you want to spend the next 10 years being reminded of all the times you managed to sound like a duck being rodgered by King Kong.

On 21/03/2019 at 17:05, Longstrider said:

Whatever call you get it will take some practice to get it right. Good advice is to do this practice whilst alone over the fields and well away from mates and/or family unless you want to spend the next 10 years being reminded of all the times you managed to sound like a duck being rodgered by King Kong.

For the Primos, very true. Personally I have gone from the sick turkey, ill duck,and very ill moose and still need practice.