Council Tax Bill

CZ550Kevlar

Between the council tax rise and the increase in the water bill this year it’s disgusting! Less policing, less council run services, schools, libraries, swimming pools closing and the state of the pavements, roads, streets unswept, now they want to install and pay a mayor an inflated salary. That’s just in Newcastle. And after MPs just gave themselves yet another hefty pay rise well above inflation yet again. 

For most people the increase in the personal allowance will more than cover the change in their council tax, so I find it hard to get too wound up by this change. 

Its pretty clear around here that the funding for local services has been pretty much obliterated. I’d rather a few more quid on council tax off set by the reduction in income tax so I can see my money going to local services than pay more into the central pot to go wherever. 

Many  years ago leicestershire sent the council tax bill's out showing a pie chart of what it's spent on and in it was a substatial slice for public service pensions but that was not included in the text of the writeup , Boy did that cause   a bit  of  a ****storm and never again was a pie chart  used .

18 hours ago, Andy H said:

Many  years ago leicestershire sent the council tax bill's out showing a pie chart of what it's spent on and in it was a substatial slice for public service pensions but that was not included in the text of the writeup , Boy did that cause   a bit  of  a ****storm and never again was a pie chart  used .

Pensions are a big part of every council's expenditure 65% of my council's budget goes on wages and pensions

11 hours ago, CZ550Kevlar said:

Sooooooo... Who got their council tax bill emailed to them today? My parish contribution went down 1% woohoo

My Police and crime commissioner payment went up 14.2% Bloody outrageous!! I pay more to the Police than I do to Dover Council. 

Everything else went up a few percent too.

Much the same here; Parish contribution and District contribution frozen.  County Council contribution up (I think it was just under 5%)  Police and Crime Commissioner up by (I think about 10%).  I'm vague because I threw the explanation leaflet away in disgust.

hello, i am happy to pay extra to the TVP  to fund extra officers and support staff but why oh why do you need the Crime commissioners, what can they do better than the Chief Constable or who ever is in charge, TVP even have a Crime Commissions deputy, a former Council leader, talk about jobs for the ****** 

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i am happy to pay extra to the TVP  to fund extra officers and support staff but why oh why do you need the Crime commissioners, what can they do better than the Chief Constable or who ever is in charge, TVP even have a Crime Commissions deputy, a former Council leader, talk about jobs for the ****** 

A lot of fairly mediocre council jobs carry eye watering salaries for no good reason that I can see. One of my step daughters was a housing officer for a London Borough on £47K a year. Even she could not see how they justified that much. She got the job having been doing exactly the same job for a housing association for a little over half that pay.

36 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

A lot of fairly mediocre council jobs carry eye watering salaries for no good reason that I can see. One of my step daughters was a housing officer for a London Borough on £47K a year. Even she could not see how they justified that much. She got the job having been doing exactly the same job for a housing association for a little over half that pay.

Lambeth Council have 213 people on over £50,000 that's one for every 1620 of us.

Sum total of salaries for those 213 is £13,673,000 .

Edited by Dibble

In Norfolk, they couldn't put the council tax up enough so they added an extra separate payment for 'adult social care'. But funnily enough, they still cut the funding for such things despite the extra income. Much the same as everyone else, services decline but tax goes up every year. Norfolk county council has an eyewatering pensions liability which will only get bigger and the poor unfortunate inhabitants are forced to pay. Much like the TV licence, council tax demands are becoming unsustainable, and they will eventually be forced to find a fairer means of funding local services.

Edited by adzyvilla

28 minutes ago, adzyvilla said:

In Norfolk, they couldn't put the council tax up enough so they added an extra separate payment for 'adult social care'. But funnily enough, they still cut the funding for such things despite the extra income. Much the same as everyone else, services decline but tax goes up every year. Norfolk county council has an eyewatering pensions liability which will only get bigger and the poor unfortunate inhabitants are forced to pay. Much like the TV licence, council tax demands are becoming unsustainable, and they will eventually be forced to find a fairer means of funding local services.

Despite the extra income? 

Despite what you might think, local governments have had the money they receive from central government massively cut. 

There is no extra income, that extra charge is unlikely to put a dent in the amount they will lose from CG. 

Nobody wants to pay more taxes, but everyone expects to have top class public services. 

The Tories got absolutely slated when they tried to put charges for home care onto people's houses and make people pay for themselves, they lost loads of support with that idea, yet things like social care are enormously expensive and these days peoples' kids don't want to look after their elderly relatives, they expect the council to provide for their every need, an provide a top class service as well.