I was made redundant on Wednesday. Have you been made redundant and what did you do?

theboycalledleaf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Thunderbird said:

* Subject to length of service and / or what's in the contract. It could be that what they have done is perfectly lawful, or it might not be. 

From the OP it doesn't seem likely to be lawful. An employer can't legally just throw you out of work with no consultation and call it redundancy. However, a nice juicy separation package might avoid too much aggravation even if their actions did not comply with employment law.

8 minutes ago, Westward said:

From the OP it doesn't seem likely to be lawful. An employer can't legally just throw you out of work with no consultation and call it redundancy. 

Actually they can. It really depends on the circumstances, which we don't exactly know. 

For example, if someone has served under two years (therefore unable to claim ordinary unfair dismissal in a tribunal), and doesn't have any provision in their contract for consultation etc, then they can be let go on the spot, and paid their notice if there is a PILON clause in their contract.

Edited by Thunderbird
Typo

Thunderbird has it right, and even where there is statutory protection, throwing money 'over the top' of basic normally cures any procedural ills. Indeed, if anyone thinks they will be paying off a mortgage or booking a holiday on a statutory redundancy claim ever, then think again.

Growing up I saw what happened to my old man - hit his 50's and small cog in a massive machine and **** scared about being too expensive / replaced by someone in their 30's. He was lucky in that a heart attack on the station platform at 5.30 a.m in his late 50's got him early retirement on medical grounds. That taught me an invaluable lesson and that is that if you are ever "employed" (and no matter how far up the totem pole you are) then you can be screwed over.

Self employment / how to run a small business  is not taught in schools (which is utter madness if you ask me) and you have to have the wherewithal for that caper and I am lucky that it was in me and I was prepared to work hard and make sacrifices; when I was climbing the greasy pole I worked 38 hours straight in an office on a litigation deadline. I fell over the next day but it taught me that you really can do anything if you want to. Indeed, in my younger years I sacrificed my health for money and now I am going the other way :lol:

My advice, see if there's something you can do on your own or with a partner; I am lucky in that I have a business partner and whilst he drives me mad and I have the feeling that I have to do everything, I know that:

1. if I was in partnership with myself, we would kill each other

2. my partner probably thinks the same about me and so we have a perfect business marriage

What being self employed has show me is that if you eat what you kill, you soon realise that you don't actually have to kill that much to eat well and especially if everyone else around you is actually doing and contributing to the bottom line.

Good stuff Mungler. I've been self-employed since 2007 and apart from being (probably) unemployable by now, I'm happier by far. It's not for everyone but I for one am teaching my son that there is more than one way to go with working life. It doesn't always have to be GCSEs, A levels, and a degree (which the latter is going to cost you fifty large). 

At the risk of wandering somewhat off-topic from the OP one reason is that maybe the Government doesn't actually want people to be self-employed. They tightened up massively on the VAT flat rate scheme recently, and 'making tax digital' is likely to be a right pain in the *** for many people too. 

1 minute ago, Thunderbird said:

At the risk of wandering somewhat off-topic from the OP one reason is that maybe the Government doesn't actually want people to be self-employed. They tightened up massively on the VAT flat rate scheme recently, and 'making tax digital' is likely to be a right pain in the *** for many people too. 

Do you mean that the changes are made to make self employment less attractive?

Self employed for 35 years and on my own for last 19 of them and get busier every year.

Every day I drive past a building site owned by a company I was a contracts manager, promoted up from the tools,how I love every day I am not on that muddy site working with those muppets, or worst still managing them for a bunch of useless  directors..Stupid hours, salary of nothing if you equate the hours put in,the stress and never ending politics,profit profit profit.

You never know what's waiting round the corner,so look at it as a positive and a chance to do what you want. 

5 of us were made redundant with 2 hours notice,

I had been there 14 years,

Manager said you will get 2 weeks pay in Leui of notice....yeah, that’ll be right.

I was entitled to 3 months pay in lieu of notice, and 3 months pay for redundancy...

I eventually got them to pay up.

One of the others was going to tribunal but the company settled on the morning of it.

Looking back it was the best thing that happened to me.

I used some of my redundancy and retrained as an HGV driver and loved it.... made far more money then I could have earned, alas bad health got the better of me after 14 years and had to stop doing that.

Dont look on it as a negative thing, look on it as an opportunity.

:shaun:

I've done all kinds of wierd and wonderful work after 10yrs in the RAF.

I'd worked quite a long time for a business making horse saddle trees, inside all the leatherwork there is a wood and spring steel frame called a tree. The centre of the saddle trade in this country is in Walsall, the gaffer sold out to a Walsall saddler who then absorbed the firm into his own business.

I got a bit of a payout and I'd been doing stained glass/glass engraving as a paying hobby so I set up full time doing that. As it was very labour intensive I didn't make much money doing it but it was really interesting and I got great satisfaction from the creativity.

I got made redundant about 18 months ago after 24 years at the same company due to a restructure. There were 12 of us all area managers and they made our role redundant and created 6 regional managers roles that we could all apply for which also came with a salary increase and improved car perks, the only problem was they couldn’t tell us how much extra salary we’d get and the car perk wouldn’t apply until your existing car was due for renewal. I took my chance and left set up self employed back on the tools as an electrician and haven’t looked back. I just wish I’d done it 10 years ago less stressful, more money and it’s hard graft at times but I’m much happier. 

Thank you one and all for your comments. I felt pretty low on Wednesday but am now looking at this as an opportunity.

I've spoken to a solicitor and I'm going to have an initial consultation. Contracts were never issued, just a staff handbook giving guidance on the companies expectations. It was a relatively small company of about 25 and two people including me were made redundant, likely more. We'll see how it goes. I don't feel the need to be overly vindictive but I do need to know if what happened was legal.

Did anyone retrain with a trade after being made redundant? I'm considering plumbing but would struggle supporting my family on an apprentice wage at 49 years old! I'm also trying to be canny and choose something which may be Brexit proof. While we always need hairdressers / barber's and undertakers, I reckon we'll always need trades too?

Great group this, thanks for the moral support and advice.

22 minutes ago, theboycalledleaf said:

Thank you one and all for your comments. I felt pretty low on Wednesday but am now looking at this as an opportunity.

I've spoken to a solicitor and I'm going to have an initial consultation. Contracts were never issued, just a staff handbook giving guidance on the companies expectations. It was a relatively small company of about 25 and two people including me were made redundant, likely more. We'll see how it goes. I don't feel the need to be overly vindictive but I do need to know if what happened was legal.

Did anyone retrain with a trade after being made redundant? I'm considering plumbing but would struggle supporting my family on an apprentice wage at 49 years old! I'm also trying to be canny and choose something which may be Brexit proof. While we always need hairdressers / barber's and undertakers, I reckon we'll always need trades too?

Great group this, thanks for the moral support and advice.

hello, why plumbing ?  if i was looking to retrain it would be in the heating service industry like gas/oil  gas safe engineers are in demand more than plumbers fixing a leaking tap, although you may need to pay for this, what about utilising something from your professional work you do now

42 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, why plumbing ?  if i was looking to retrain it would be in the heating service industry like gas/oil  gas safe engineers are in demand more than plumbers fixing a leaking tap, although you may need to pay for this, what about utilising something from your professional work you do now

Hi,

I use the term plumber rather generically. I do mean gas safe in due course.

I do a little plumbing at home and find it satisfying. I like the idea of working hard, generating your own work, and having a skill that will last. 

It's a first thought hence my query.

It is expensive getting into gas and takes a while when you are self financing and not done it before. I am renewing my commercial gas for the very last time next week as hopefully only have 16 more pay day's then finnish for good. 

I've got out of engineering a couple of times after redundancy but always gone back to it, i found your working longer hours for less money but i didn't re train, i was just driving so as to keep the money coming in.

Have you looked at contracting in your profession? Often good money to be made if your happy doing short term contracting.

I'd imagine starting something completely new at 49  is risky although a fella i know left the police and re trained driving HGVs, full police pension obviously helps.

Happened to me twice , first time I just went on the lash in Spain for a few weeks , second time I started my own company and I can honestly say it's the best thing to ever happen to me . Turns out it was the push I needed .

Someone once said to me "It's never too late to start over" . 

Good luck with whatever you decide to do mate . 

All the best gents . 

Andy . 

Hi, You need sign on at job centre, which will give you a national insurance stamp, even if you don't qualify for unemployment benefit.

It happened to me, and after a while trying find a job in engineering, which I had done since leaving school, I tried going self employed.

It worked, as I was handy at DIY. So I did some decorating, odd jobs and gardening. I had to turn down some work as I had plenty to keep me occupied

and had time to myself if I wanted it.  Best thing that ever happened to me.

I'm sure you will get there, as you have noticed its happened to so many of us.

Best of luck.

Most likely off track for your skills but if you are good at DIY the window blind business might be an ideal opportunity for you, a friend of mine was made redundant about 7 years ago, he setup from home buying in and installing window blinds, he is doing really well at it and tells me it is easy money, he now has a small factory and some good contracts fitting blinds in schools, he said it was really good money.

can you use your skill and carry it on freelance  with multiple other smaller companies who cannot afford your skills full time    higher rates and book your diary to suit you   if you can make £10.00 for someone else you can make it for yourself 👍 

Edited by Saltings

• 8 months later...

So, to anyone still out there, I found a new job in surveying but as a manager.

It hasn't been right for a while, commuting 2 hours a day, dull work, unfulfilling, just generally unhappy. The threat of Brexit hasn't made my job any more secure as projects are getting harder to win.

I've applied to Network Rail and been offered a role add a Signaller. I've worked on the rail as a surveyor, so this stood me in good stead. I head off to signalling school in April. I'm chuffed to bits.

It takes time, but it usually comes good in the end. Good salary, good conditions, good annual leave and hopefully a decent pension. And maybe more time off to shoot too.

Cheers

17 minutes ago, theboycalledleaf said:

So, to anyone still out there, I found a new job in surveying but as a manager.

It hasn't been right for a while, commuting 2 hours a day, dull work, unfulfilling, just generally unhappy. The threat of Brexit hasn't made my job any more secure as projects are getting harder to win.

I've applied to Network Rail and been offered a role add a Signaller. I've worked on the rail as a surveyor, so this stood me in good stead. I head off to signalling school in April. I'm chuffed to bits.

It takes time, but it usually comes good in the end. Good salary, good conditions, good annual leave and hopefully a decent pension. And maybe more time off to shoot too.

Cheers

hello, best of luck with your new job