I was made redundant on Wednesday. Have you been made redundant and what did you do?

theboycalledleaf

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I been fortunate in my employment history only been laid off once but walked straight into another job ,always been in the same industry now I’m in my mid 50’s I’m too old to retrain but a mate who was coming up to forty got laid off and retrained as a sparky and has never looked back ,follow what ever path you choose as long as you have time on your side ,good luck 

Having pursued a career in IT sales for the past 30 or so years redundancy is an occupational hazard one has to live with - I've gone through it 5 times since 2003.

The morning after it happens...waking up to the realisation that there isn't a job to go to is terrible and puts one in a dark place.   It's really important to bin the feelings of anger and betrayal as soon as you can so that you don't carry it with you into your next job - no new employer wants to hear you whinging about the last place.

Practical things you must do:

1) Sign-on at the job centre It's a humbling thing to do - it ensures that your NI get's paid - so there won't be any gaps in your payments that mess up your state pension allowance years later.  Sure you'll get a bit of money too (you have paid enough tax so get some back - you have quite literally paid already) and the job centre will love you because you will most likely be trying hard to get another job...where as most of the people they see aren't.  

2) If you have a mortgage on your house...contact your lender immediately and get your mortgage switched to interest only until you get another job.  When not working there is a feeling of leaking money...need to get that under control.

3) You should tell your car insurance company that your job circumstances have changed - you don't want to be in a position where you have a bump and the insurance company want nothing to do with it do you?

4) Getting a job - that's changed a lot.  If you can - create a profile on LinkedIn (it's own by Microsoft), it's like having your CV on-line - make sure the summary page has all your skills, acronyms and buzzwords that go with your work experience listed.  Proper recruiters have to pay to search the site - it's worth the effort.