Air Pollution

krugerandsmith

The pollution level in comparison to what?  Beijing?  Calcutta?  10 years ago, 150 years ago?

All UK air is clean as a whistle even the city centers, the air is "less clean" than the South Downs or Highlands perhaps, but it is still damn clean.

Emissions have dropped by 97% for some pollutants and over 60% for most since 1970:  https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/778483/Emissions_of_air_pollutants_1990_2017.pdf

Don't believe all the Hype currently abounding over 40,000 deaths a year from "Bad air" in the UK.  Do some maths.  if it was only 40,000 in 1970 as well (despite the hugely higher levels) you are talking 50 years x 40,000 = 2 million people dying from air pollution (but more like 3 or 4 million due to increased levels).  Maybe the coroners of the UK would have noticed, you think?

RS

An anti pollution zone (or some such name) is proposed for Bath. The centre of Bath will be closed to traffic that does not meet the latest Euro standards. It's a pretty tough measure. Bristol has gone down the congestion charge route so sooner or later there will be country wide measures. 

Birmingham, a proposed £8 to drive into the central zone if your diesel motor is earlier than 2016, I don't believe this is primarily about pollution.....more like a cash cow for the council to milk!......And it seems they are prepared to accept the reduction in footfall which will inevitably lead to trader losses and contribute to the hastening of the death of the high street?

My 2012 Yeti 1600 Diesel emissions were, I was advised, too low to register on the recent MOT..........but I will, I assume, still have to pay to enter the central zone?.....