Apple & Pigeon

Old Boggy

The title is not a recipe, but what I found in the crops of the few pigeons that I shot yesterday. The reason being that there is an apple orchard about a quarter of a mile away from my little wood but somewhere that I do not have permission to shoot. This orchard is adjacent to a much larger wood (again, not on my bit) where clearly the pigeons are feasting on the rotting windfalls. It just goes to show that they really are opportunist birds finding food wherever they can. There is an abundance of rape around this area, but they obviously prefer the easy pickings of the apples alongside their roosting wood and so obviating the need to travel any distance for a feed. I`m sure that this is quite a common occurrence

As others have noted previously, pigeons will vary their diet regularly eating small snails, but surely those pigeons would have been of French descent and must have flown in across the channel. :yahoo:

What other strange food has been found in pigeon`s crops, I wonder ?

OB

On 15/03/2019 at 10:34, Old Boggy said:

The title is not a recipe, but what I found in the crops of the few pigeons that I shot yesterday. The reason being that there is an apple orchard about a quarter of a mile away from my little wood but somewhere that I do not have permission to shoot. This orchard is adjacent to a much larger wood (again, not on my bit) where clearly the pigeons are feasting on the rotting windfalls. It just goes to show that they really are opportunist birds finding food wherever they can. There is an abundance of rape around this area, but they obviously prefer the easy pickings of the apples alongside their roosting wood and so obviating the need to travel any distance for a feed. I`m sure that this is quite a common occurrence

As others have noted previously, pigeons will vary their diet regularly eating small snails, but surely those pigeons would have been of French descent and must have flown in across the channel. :yahoo:

What other strange food has been found in pigeon`s crops, I wonder ?

OB

I think they will eat almost anything. I have shot them full of brown bread, peanuts (neither of which are grown by local farmers!), snails, rose hips, buds, worms, rape flowers, ivy berries etc,etc. Just yesterday a big fat old bird on my lawn was waddling about eating those tiny, feathery little seeds on the grass. They are so tiny I don't know why he was bothering, that may be what they are after in the paddocks and meadows, as well as clover.

By the way, they are still on ivy berries on next door's hedge, which established "wisdom" says they only attack in very cold times. This is the same "wisdom" which says they must feed each day -rubbish!!

All I know is that you cannot take anything about pigeon behavior for granted.

2 minutes ago, kitchrat said:

Just yesterday a big fat old bird on my lawn was waddling about eating those tiny, feathery little seeds on the grass. 

Sounds like fat Sarah :hmm: You need Ditchy along to sort her out.:yahoo:

Seriously, you're right they can and do eat anything. I do also agree that they eat ivy berries whenever that are available, regardless of temperatures.

OB

I went into the kitchen about 4.30 yesterday afternoon to make a cuppa, looking out the window I was shocked to see a huge fat woody sitting on the top of one of my cherry trees ripping buds off at an alarming rate,shocked because the tree is literally 10 feet from the window, even though I banged on the glass and waved my arms about it refused to leave, in the end I had to open a window and shout until it left, my missus thought I was going mad. 

I have seen them on the hawthorn hedge many times but now they are invading my garden,  little so and so's. trouble is now i'm worried as it will soon be time to start planting out all the veg, they better not start on them or there's gonna be trouble !!😫

Edited by lakeside1000

Saw one in my garden yesterday nibbling on a conifer tree, possibly the tree that they are nesting in.  Also on the pear tree shoots and of course, the ivy berries. Also observed two males 'facing off' to each other with quick, forward head movements, as if they were both saying ''C'mon, you want a fight?''.   

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎18‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 08:39, lakeside1000 said:

I went into the kitchen about 4.30 yesterday afternoon to make a cuppa, looking out the window I was shocked to see a huge fat woody sitting on the top of one of my cherry trees ripping buds off at an alarming rate,shocked because the tree is literally 10 feet from the window, even though I banged on the glass and waved my arms about it refused to leave, in the end I had to open a window and shout until it left, my missus thought I was going mad. 

I have seen them on the hawthorn hedge many times but now they are invading my garden,  little so and so's. trouble is now i'm worried as it will soon be time to start planting out all the veg, they better not start on them or there's gonna be trouble !!😫

And so it starts - I have a cherry tree outside my front window, I have the "pleasure" of watching the fat little *******s eating the buds, after flowering they will start on the tiny green cherries, they don't even wait until they are a decent size! of course, if any make it to full size, and maybe even with a touch of colour they are still at it!!!! I might add that they are aided and abetted by the local Jackdaws. :mad: :mad:

I can't shoot them in my own garden, my wife even feeds the little blighters, but if they should cross my path when I am on the shoot they won't get a sniff of a chance

Yesterday we were entertained by two Wood pigeons raiding the bird food in our garden and then going on the shed roof to feed a youngster that look more than big enough to fend for itself , the food was mixed bird seed and small bits of stale bread , as it turned out , I saw more more pigeons flying around our back gardens than the rape fields I looked at later on :lol: 

12 hours ago, marsh man said:

Yesterday we were entertained by two Wood pigeons raiding the bird food in our garden and then going on the shed roof to feed a youngster that look more than big enough to fend for itself , the food was mixed bird seed and small bits of stale bread , as it turned out , I saw more more pigeons flying around our back gardens than the rape fields I looked at later on  

I think that most on here welcome the sight of pigeons along with all the other birds, with the exception perhaps of magpies, into their gardens and do what's necessary to encourage them. It is a paradox that we wouldn't think of shooting them (pigeons that is) in the garden (at least I wouldn't) but have no qualms doing so when out in the field.

It's amazing how tame wood pigeons can become in the garden and I've walked past within a few feet of one or two feeding on my bird table but a completely different story when out and about.

OB

Edited by Old Boggy