Who changes chokes?

rayo

In the process of upgrading my Lanber to a Beretta ‘I’ve seen a nice 686 special with fixed chokes 1/4 and 1/2 and that got me thinking I’ve only ever used them chokes in my Lanber so who changes their chokes regularly 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny that! I have just last week bought a Beretta S686 Special, fixed choked at 1/4 & 3/4.  What a lovely handling gun and reminds of the Beretta's I had many years ago.  Traded in a Miroku MK70 Multi Choke with no regrets as I learnt years ago that fiddling with chokes is a total waste of my time.  I have 1/4 & 1/4 in my Perazzi all the time and that has seen my right for clays, game, pigeons and the odd round of skeet. I cant even remember what chokes are in my wife's 692, Skeet and 1/4 I think.

I would say 100% go for it, the 686 will be a definite upgrade to your Lanber, lovely guns. Only thing I would say is see if you can try it first some are low in the comb, fortunately the one I bought has a sporter stock rather than the field model which feels pretty bang on for me. Be worth finding out the age of the gun, look for the date codes on the bottom of the barrels, (mine is AP 1986 but is near mint)...

Edited by Wingman

Once in a blue moon will I change my chokes. Usually if I go to a comp and they're all close skeet or cylinder and fast or most out at 50 yards plus 3/4 or full. 

Other than that I shoot half choke over 90% of the time in the semis and fixed 1/4&1/2 in the 687.

Edited by figgy

I think 1/4 and 1/2 are a pretty decent set up for most sporting clay occasions, I might change them for skeet if I can be bothered.

For game, again, I might go up to 1/2 and 3/4 , but most of the time not.

Horses for courses, it might give you a psycological edge , but practically , unless you are going competitive , not, IMHO

The only multi choke gun I have is my Yilditz 410 with four choices ...I    II    III    IIII markings with the  IIII apparently by the looks full choke.  I have shot live quaryy for two seasons with these with normal success  and have not changed. Duscussions with another ardent 410 shooter indicated that he shot open chokes in his and I knew he scrored very well indeed so I tried the II chokes with no apparent difference in performance....... my average on birds is around 2.7 to 1 ....  I then went back to full and full  IIII   IIII and that is how I shoot today.   The trick I find is putting the bird in the centre of the pattern and not getting too anal about it.

Cylinder and 1/4 in my O/U 12 for a s long as I can remember,  3/8 or 3/4 in my auto for decoying or charlie. Purchased a 20 bore a month ago and have 1/4 and 1/2 in that at the moment, I may change it to Cyclinder and 1/4 or 1/4 before the game season. I'm putting 26gm RC 7's through it and I'm concerned that the pattern may be too open with Cylinder, I'll shoot some paper before making any changes. 

Interesting thread. I have largely spent fifty years shooting SxS with fixed chokes at around 1/4 & 1/2 save for my wildfowling guns at full choke. My daughters gun is multichoke and she shoots improved in both for clays and game and never changes cause they work. It seems to me that the benefits of multichokes are largely psychological rather than of practical application.

Ive had the same chokes in my gun since i bought it (CYL&1/4). Its a multi choke. I do take them out for a clean but they same ones go straight back in. 

I did experiment once and changed them. Couldn't hit a barn door, probably me more than the chokes and the gun. Still changed them back though.

Edited by Jbob

For many years I used quarter and half for everything, primarily because I shot bolting rabbits over ferrets more than any other quarry.

Then I got into shooting full for decoying, which I really enjoy, and the last few months has seen me getting back into clays, and the purchase of two trap guns choked full/full and full/extra full, has seen me prefer much tighter chokes,so now shoot mostly full and full for everything. 

The only exception I make is 3/8 and half in my game gun. 

I don’t have any discipline dedicated guns really, although I wouldn’t use full and full on early season game.

2 hours ago, The Mighty Prawn said:

I love being behind those guys that change chokes for every stand, and sometimes mid stand - taking ten minutes to shoot 5 pairs is so infuriating!

Yep

there is one of those at the two clay grounds we frequent

he has standard length chokes, extended, ported (vented) 

the bloke is a total 🔔 end

and he still misses as many as everyone else