Wildfowling- half choke for HP steel in the Benelli

All factory chokes.

I also have a Macnab Highlander fixed choke- quarter and half 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 15/03/2019 at 18:08, The Mighty Prawn said:

I love being behind those guys that change chokes for every stand, and sometimes mid stand - taking ten minutes to shoot 5 pairs is so infuriating!

Precisely this happened to me yesterday.....absolutely raging at the time.

The best shot I know only owns 2 guns, one a 'game' gun long barrelled o/u that is a fixed choke.  The other is his clays gun that is an auto with changeable choke, which he never changes and isn't quite sure what it is!

Always amuses me the people who change chokes at each stand, use different cartridges in each barrel, different colour lenses in their glasses according to the background, lighting, clay colour etc.  They are seldom particularly good shots.

I rather like the old saying "Beware the man with one gun ....... he usually knows how to use it well".  Perhaps the same should apply to chokes!

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The best shot I know only owns 2 guns, one a 'game' gun long barrelled o/u that is a fixed choke.  The other is his clays gun that is an auto with changeable choke, which he never changes and isn't quite sure what it is!

Always amuses me the people who change chokes at each stand, use different cartridges in each barrel, different colour lenses in their glasses according to the background, lighting, clay colour etc.  They are seldom particularly good shots.

I rather like the old saying "Beware the man with one gun ....... he usually knows how to use it well".  Perhaps the same should apply to chokes!

I use the same chokes all of the time, BUT, I will use a tighter shooting cartridge on 'long' targets. I still have the same box in my bag with around 10 left in it, so I do not use them very often. I do change the lens in my glasses, but that comes from a couple of eye operations that has left me susceptible to bright light. This is usually done in the car park before I start shooting, but I do carry a darker lens, should the sun put in an appearance. You are right, I am seldom a particularly good shot, but maybe being the wrong side of 70 and the aftermath of 2 strokes have contributed to that.

11 minutes ago, Westley said:

I do change the lens in my glasses, but that comes from a couple of eye operations that has left me susceptible to bright light. This is usually done in the car park before I start shooting, but I do carry a darker lens, should the sun put in an appearance.

You certainly have good reason to wear eye protection - I also wear dark glasses when shooting in the sun.  I was really having a toungue in cheek 'dig' at those who change from pink to yellow to others  rather than those who need then to avoid excess light.

14 minutes ago, Westley said:

You are right, I am seldom a particularly good shot, but maybe being the wrong side of 70 and the aftermath of 2 strokes have contributed to that.

I'm a very 'average' shot as well and I have 10 years less than you, so you are doing well.  I hopwe you can continue to enjoy your shooting for many years to come.

5 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

You certainly have good reason to wear eye protection - I also wear dark glasses when shooting in the sun.  I was really having a toungue in cheek 'dig' at those who change from pink to yellow to others  rather than those who need then to avoid excess light.

I'm a very 'average' shot as well and I have 10 years less than you, so you are doing well.  I hopwe you can continue to enjoy your shooting for many years to come.

👍 👍    Thanks for that.   Just as a slight aside, I would not contemplate entering a shooting ground without some form of eye protection, sunny or otherwise. I have witnessed first hand the loss of an eye caused by a piece of broken clay from another stand. Totally avoidable if glasses had been worn.

On 15/03/2019 at 21:22, shaun4860 said:

If I had to go to fixed chokes it would be 3/8 & 3/8

That’s the combination I use for clays. Usually tighter chokes for game, quarry/range determines how tight, but still tend to choke both barrels the same. 

So far, I have never been in the field with my deeks set up then seen a Pigeon coming towards me and thought "Oh, I'm going to need a different choke for this one" then change my choke and shoot the incoming Pigeon!

1/4 and 3/4 for me, the same as many.

22 hours ago, KFC said:

So far, I have never been in the field with my deeks set up then seen a Pigeon coming towards me and thought "Oh, I'm going to need a different choke for this one" then change my choke and shoot the incoming Pigeon!

1/4 and 3/4 for me, the same as many.

Yep, that combination avoids having to change the choke back again when said pigeon decides to turn about and push off. :whistling:

Currently using 3/8 & 3/8 for sporting 3/8 & 7/8 for DTL, today I shot a round of sporting plus a little DTL at Auchterhouse so just left it 3/8 7/8 for everything. 

Recently bought a new to me mk38 for trap, so that'll be staying 3/4 & Full. The sporter will then go 3/8 in both once the mk38 comes home 1/2" longer. 

Do I change chokes? If I change ammo I try it through a few different chokes and go with that offering the best results. I've shot the mk38 and it seems to like the ammo I've got, being fixed I'll try a few different brands before I settle on ammo. 

Three of us went to Westlands yesterday, and a full choke didn't too well on the first stand ( two left to right close in dropping crossers ) but nor did it on either of the tower stands. A LM coped with both the tower stands albeit inconsistently, but was impressive on the bolting bunnies, but so was a 3/4 and a full. Driver error.

Great fun seeing if we could do the right to left rabbit before it bounced, and also killing both with one shot as they crossed. Mate did it quite a few times. 

A chilly day with strong winds. Underkeeper only missed two with his Benelli on the skeet layout. Good to watch. 

Obviously there are horses for courses, but you're either on them or you aren't. I was very inconsistent.