How about a sub section for Crows,

old man

Mainly yes, additionally complicated by some kennels by one of the parlours.

7 minutes ago, Spr1985 said:

Primos crow caller, is an awesome bit of kit when used correctly, I’ve watched a very good friend use one to very good effect on carrion crows and jackdaws 

That's the one, sounds like a partially strangled turkey at the moment, a bit of an embarrassment...lol

A real mix of carrion doors and mags

Edited by old man

If the ruddy things are on the clamps and it's all too close to 'civilisation' for the shotgun, hit them from a good hide (perhaps inside a barn nearby ? ) with a rimmy and sub-sonic ammo. No good if they're in the air, I know, but they're not a problem up there ;) You could even use some really quiet ammo like Z-Langs. Very nearly as quiet through a well moderated rimfire as an air rifle going off but more than enough stopping power for rooks'n' stuff.

I've had a similiar issue on one of my permissions. Dairy farm with a clamp and designated flight lines that make it hard to ge tthem where you want them.

What we've done to try and make the most of it but have been lucky that we have some sitty trees close by as well

• Air rifles from hidden positions c.6-10m from clamp (.22 11.5 ft/lb PCP with moderator - pretty quiet and hits quite hard)
  • .22 rimfire (using safe backstop) @ c.20m
  • Use of decoys (full body and flocked shells) in field to draw them to sitty tree which is on the way to the clamp. It's far enough away from clamp/buildings that we can use shotgun as well. If that's not an option, then air rifle can work. 

They also feed off the floor around the buildings etc (also have c.50-100 ferals) so we hide in the buildings a knock a few down that way using air rifles.

We are also lucky that the farmer has no issue with us using shotguns in and around the yard. It's by a pheasant shoot and he says the cows are used to the noise so he doesn't care. We tend not to use them in the yard as the noise reverbarates a lot but there is a nice little spinney next to it and we can hide in there and shoot away from the buildings. 

It does depend how close you can get to effectively use an air rifle. Rimfire is ideal if safe to use. Shotgun is great if viable and you can draw them out into the open air.

I get a lot of pleasure from shooting crows!

18 hours ago, hedge said:

I've had a similiar issue on one of my permissions. Dairy farm with a clamp and designated flight lines that make it hard to ge tthem where you want them.

What we've done to try and make the most of it but have been lucky that we have some sitty trees close by as well

• Air rifles from hidden positions c.6-10m from clamp (.22 11.5 ft/lb PCP with moderator - pretty quiet and hits quite hard)
  • .22 rimfire (using safe backstop) @ c.20m
  • Use of decoys (full body and flocked shells) in field to draw them to sitty tree which is on the way to the clamp. It's far enough away from clamp/buildings that we can use shotgun as well. If that's not an option, then air rifle can work. 

They also feed off the floor around the buildings etc (also have c.50-100 ferals) so we hide in the buildings a knock a few down that way using air rifles.

We are also lucky that the farmer has no issue with us using shotguns in and around the yard. It's by a pheasant shoot and he says the cows are used to the noise so he doesn't care. We tend not to use them in the yard as the noise reverbarates a lot but there is a nice little spinney next to it and we can hide in there and shoot away from the buildings. 

It does depend how close you can get to effectively use an air rifle. Rimfire is ideal if safe to use. Shotgun is great if viable and you can draw them out into the open air.

I get a lot of pleasure from shooting crows!

Mods, please bump this to vermin.

Kennels are the bigger problem noise wise, rimfires out safety wise. Use over limit air at 50 yds but no real cover available and once one down the ferals don't return foe ages. Also staff busy with cattle feeding so birds all regularly disturbed anyway.

Still working round buildings with hushpower 410, air,  and trying to entice birds to a better zone for 12 g.

17 minutes ago, old man said:

Mods, please bump this to vermin.

Kennels are the bigger problem noise wise, rimfires out safety wise. Use over limit air at 50 yds but no real cover available and once one down the ferals don't return foe ages. Also staff busy with cattle feeding so birds all regularly disturbed anyway.

Still working round buildings with hushpower 410, air,  and trying to entice birds to a better zone for 12 g.

That's a bit of a challenge.

I'm lucky that our permission is laid out differently and we have less limitations on making noise. 

We can usually get through the big cow shed with air rifles and get 6-10 ferals before they even get out and about (they are a bit slow on the uptake if we don't shoot them too often). They either a) float about for ages so we can get the shotguns out (`driven` feral pigeon is great fun), or b) they sod off for an hour or so.

Not easy for you if it's a busy yard. Can you set up a hide near where the crows like to settle and use air rifle?

Plan B is decoy them to where you can shoot them with 12g. I actually watched a couple of good videos on You Tube last night where using a crow floater and crow caller seemed to help.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Thanks Mods.

Well the saga continues, only 4 crows and 2 pigeons came close today in about a 5 hr session, I can't honestly say they were attracted to our decoys, more likely nipping in for a laugh but at least we didn't let any escape. Super weather for once till the farmer smoked us out with his flipping fire.

Don't know where they've gone. 

Very busy yard and not safe to shoot inside any sheds. will be using just over limit air next time and hope the workers all on holiday.

Just keeping on, keeping on.