Flappers

I see Deako has the 'Flapper Pro Kit' now which includes the timers.

How meny of you use a flapper, are they an invaluble part of your patten or a bit of extra kit to lug around ??

Will they bring anymore to the patten if used with a rotor ?

Does the ' on/off' wing flapping not simulate a bird taking off and spook the incomers ?

Any experiances, I'm sure, will be of use to the Pigeon watch members thinking of investing a considerable amount of money into one of these contraptions... :D:D

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a flapper and I don't think its a waste of time It will pull more birds for sure I run mine on a cable from the hide for the reason I don't won't it flapping when a bird is comming in and spooking them I would like it remote but for the cost of a remote unit at £65 I can buy another flapper I think 2 or 3 flappers would be far more deadly than a rotor.

hope this is of some use to you dead eye

John

Is there ? :D

The "New Flapper" thread is about................. a new flapper. :D

I have not used the electronic one in the field yet.

The old manual/pull the string one I had was quite good, but kept falling to bits and if there were a few birds about, you often forgot to pull the string.

I am not keen on an electronic one that keeps flapping all the time, so a timer of sorts, or some control, is essential IMO.

At the moment I am trying to locate an on/off option, if I can,t find one, I will buy a cheap timer.

HI Guys

Are the old type string operated flappers still available,if so ,do you know where?

I remember seeing one years ago with a foot operated treadle type arrangement that worked pretty well.

All the ad's on the net and mags only offer battery flappers, but i like to keep the weight of my kit down.

Cheers

Dave

Dead-eye, I think that is a risk, but what are the alternatives ?

Have people considered, that the occassional "spooking" effect of the rotary, could be due to its perpetual movement and incoming birds think the decoys are taking off ?

Does anyone know please, where I can get a on/off control for my new flapper, with or without a lead ? :D

I tried my flapper for the first time about three weeks ago so this was an experement for me, ive fitted a simple on/off switch which i opperate from the hide. All that i did was possition the flapper about 20 yards down wind of my decoy pattern, when i saw pigeons crossing wide of my pattren i simply swiched it on and left it flapping, nearly every pigeon that saw it turned and came straight in past the flapper (that was still running) and tried to land in with my deeks giving me the easiest shooting that ive had in a long while.

I'm no expert when it comes to pigeon shooting. But i have used a flapper for about 20 years now,and would not be without one. I tried the magnet when they first come out but soon went back to a flapper. One thing you have to remember about a flapper is that it is supposed to repesent a bird moving forward in the feeding line, and it should be positioned as such.

Over the last 20 years i have found that little and often works for a flapper. E.G. you see a bird passing in the distance then give it a couple of flaps then leave it alone, once the bird has turned it has done its job. Its up to your pattern then to get them within shot.

I have found that if you flap to much that on the whole it will put birds off. Of course we can all site instances where all the general rules are thrown out the window and anything goes. But i think if you do the basics right you cant go far wrong.

PS If you are using the hand pull flappers keep the wings in the down position inbetween use, as i have found that sometimes wings in the up position frighten birds off.

Edited by tiercel

I agree with tiercel, its how we use to use the string pull type.

Thats why I feel constant, or too regular flapping might put them off. :D

So, I need an on/off switch, fixed to 30 yards of wire, or a remote.

It would appear that both, are as hard to find as rocking horse droppings. :D

So, I need an on/off switch, fixed to 30 yards of wire, or a remote.

It would appear that both, are as hard to find as rocking horse droppings. :D

:D Cranfield go to your nearest electrical retailer. ask him for whatever length of twin-core cable you need, a simple on /off switch and the rest is easy.

Connect one end of the cable to the connections on the switch, one of the wires at the other end of the cable to the battery and the other to one of the wires on the flapper. The other wire from the flapper goes to the battery as normal.

It's not rocket science and should cost less than a fiver.

The only drawback in using a long cable to a low voltage battery is that there will be some loss of power due to the resistance of the cable which can cause either a slight slowing down of the flapper and/or a quicker discharge of the battery.

Hope this helps and is what i will be trying on my own flapper.

I tried the flapper together with a pinewood advantage on thursday on a winter rape field.I positioned the pinewood slightly at the right side at the front and the flapper on the opposite side.The bulk of the decoys were at the front/middle of the 2 devices.Birds were decoying extremely well and gave me easy shots.In 2 hours I shot 59.Then I had a small problem with my pinewood and hat to switch it off.Although birds were still flying about they were not decoying very well and although I stayed there for several hours I ended up with 81.I dont know if it was just that particular day but I look forward to try the combination tomorrow!

Thanks ernyha, I have printed off your instructions and will give it a try.

I,m hoping the small amount of actual flapping, will ofset the battery drainage.

I would be interested to hear how you do. :D

Dead-Eye, not being a schoolboy any longer, I am of course not familiar with modern projects.

When I went to school, it was candle power, so the electrical maintenance and construction lessons, were very brief indeed. :D:D:D

Thanks for the kind offer to make me one....not. :D:D :(

I have been using a flapper for quite a while now, as I have posted in the past I find it far better than my magnet and the bonus is its light? as to the question does the "flapping" spook landing birds? imo absolutely not! have tried using a length of wire to my hide and just "unclipping a terminal connector when I am certain a bird or birds have committed? and to me it makes no difference ie the birds if totally committed will happily land next to my flapper flapping or not? I have mine on a timer set to 30secs off 10 on switch it on a start of day and forget about it till I am done|! great piece of kit? unlike my wiper motor?

cheers keith

I have mine on a timer set to 30secs off 10 on switch it on at start of day and forget about it till I am done.

:D Keith those of us who have had the pleasure of meeting you, fully understand why you need a bit of kit that you can just switch on and forget about.

PS What was the excuse given for forgetting to pack your trousers for the YP Bash anyway? :D

:D