Email issues. Anyone here know about these things?

njc110381

Hi all. Just a passing thought really as there's always someone on PW who has an answer to almost every question!

I have a business email address which was set up and hosted through a local independent computer shop. I bought a website and have used the same name for the email address, and I access my emails through Outlook.

My Hotmail account always works. No issues, messages just come and go. As it should be really, if you have something set up it should just work surely?! My business email is entirely different. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've just been on there today to send out some invoices and when I click send it just vanishes. Not in the chain of previous mails in that conversation, not in my sent box. I then got an email to my hotmail account saying one had failed to send, but there's no report of the other failing to send. It's just gone.

*** is going on and how do I sort it? I'm happy to pay for a service to host it or whatever needs doing, I just need it to work! As it stands I have no idea if I'm missing out on business enquiries coming in, or whether unpaid invoices are due to people ignoring them or not even getting the bloody things in the first place! It's happened half a dozen times in the year or so I've had it, I have a moan at the guy dealing wit it and he gets it working again. The trouble is that's not really good enough, it needs to work all the time!

Any advice? I'm a real novice when it comes to these things. I know how to send an email but that's it! I just need it to work like my Hotmail account always has for the last twenty odd years!

Email from some providers does seem to be horribly inefficient.

I use two email addresses, one BT and the other Tiscali.   When I check for incoming emails on the BT address, it is always slow to respond, and on about 25% of occasions it fails to connect (timed out).   Usually it will work on the second or third attempt, but occasionally I have to give up and try again after an hour or two.  By contrast, the Tiscali email always responds instantly.

The same PC and hardware (BT line, BT broadband and BT router) are used for both addresses, so I can only assume BT’s central mail server is simply not up to the job.   Or is there some other explanation?

My wife has this most every time a new laptop is required.

Is the non-Hotmail address for a Domain (the bit after the @ symbol in an email address) that you own and have hosted by someone?

eg yourname@yourcompany.co.uk  (yourcompany.co.uk is the domain)

Whereever you have your domain hosted would seem be the issue.

A simple thing is to try and "WebMail" your domain.  You can do this from ANY PC, ANYWHERE (maybe not China).

Type into the address bar in your web browser (Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome etc etc)  WebMail.yourdomain   you should be prompted for your username and password.

If this works fine for those times when you are having an issue, it is more likely your OutLook set up or your PC that is the issue. 

There is normally a support package attached to the mail hosting, so you can contact them.

Apologies if none of this helps, but you never know,

RS

PS  Others may want to try the webmail command for their hosted service, I have found it very useful in times of need and no personal hardware with me (even my company has this for my company email system).

On ‎16‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 15:58, njc110381 said:

I have a business email address which was set up and hosted through a local independent computer shop.

I think we have your answer right there; google business email providers/webhosts and inform your computer shop that you wish to have your domain transferred to a proper host, not an old 486 running squirrelmail in a dusty corner of their stock room.  If it is this vital to your business, you need to pay for it.  I've been using 1and1 for 20-odd years and they seem fairly stable, not the cheapest option but not the dearest either.