CZ 455 Varmint 17 hmr

Major Sharpe

I am considering buying the above rifle (new) and would really appreciate any comments. It has a black synthetic soft touch stock. 16" barrel.

The Tikka TX1 is also on the list, but is slightly more expensive, however not outside of the budget. Whichever rifle I get I'd get a new scope for it. (Total budget £800)

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I have a 455 in 17HMR and it can shoot far better than I can. Tree rats hate it as do carrion crows. Never had any problems with it at all.

Thank you, is yours a synthetic stock and has it maintained its condition?  I read that they can look shabby after a few outings, but I find it hard to believe CZ would continue to use this method if there was an issue.

Mine is a black synthetic stock but you mention 'soft touch' now I would not call mine soft touch.  My stock is as purchased and has had a fair amount of use and abuse over five-six years.

This 'soft touch' stock may be a new addition to their wares since I purchased mine.   Still a great rifle an is the second CZ I have owned in 17HMR, the first was one of the first that was imported wy back when. I sold that to one of the farmers I shoot over and it is still shooting sub moa.

10 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Mine is a black synthetic stock but you mention 'soft touch' now I would not call mine soft touch.  My stock is as purchased and has had a fair amount of use and abuse over five-six years.

This 'soft touch' stock may be a new addition to their wares since I purchased mine.   Still a great rifle an is the second CZ I have owned in 17HMR, the first was one of the first that was imported wy back when. I sold that to one of the farmers I shoot over and it is still shooting sub moa.

It might not be an official description, but one used by one of the RFD's that I have visited. It does not feel like the hard plastic of the Tikka or a Ruger American, but has a slightly softer/rubberlike texture.

7 minutes ago, bumpy22 said:

t1x :good:mine has been fantastic worth every penny

Thank you for that.

Have you had any issues with it at all? or has it been fine right out of the box?

I have the 455 16 inch .17hmr with the t/hole stock very accurate, have the 455 .22 rf soft touch stock, very light no problems, ideal if you do a lot of walking about, had it about a year no obvious marks, again very accurate, no inclination to get rid off either, trust them, they do what I want .

1 minute ago, barbel said:

I have the 455 16 inch .17hmr with the t/hole stock very accurate, have the 455 .22 rf soft touch stock, very light no problems, ideal if you do a lot of walking about, had it about a year no obvious marks, again very accurate, no inclination to get rid off either, trust them, they do what I want .

Thanks Barbel, I appreciate your response.

First question is WHY the Varmint version, do you have a specific need for a heavy barrel (rifle) or do you jut like them?  For the vast amount of field work there is absolutely no benefit of a heavy barrel, it is not more accurate, jut makes you tired holding/carrying it.  Varmint is NOT for me but some do need/like them.

Guy at my rifle club has just bought a TX1 and tricked it up, great gun and if money were no object I would get a TX1 over a 455 any day.

Just the same, I run a whole load of CZ and have used more rifles than I can remember over the years.   I rather suspect the TX1 will be no more accurate, reliable or repeatable than the CZ, I have never found my CZ's lacking for anything for field use and I'll not be rushing out to replace them with a TX1!

:good:

4Shots_1a_numbs.jpg.99537bb9a609e67ec3a2f70085db6f99.jpg

My CZ 452 American HMR, 100 yards, 4 shots, I bottled out of a 5th when I saw the group.  That works for me! :D

Edited by Dekers

23 minutes ago, Dekers said:

First question is WHY the Varmint version, do you have a specific need for a heavy barrel (rifle) or do you jut like them?  For the vast amount of field work there is absolutely no benefit of a heavy barrel, it is not more accurate, jut makes you tired holding/carrying it.  Varmint is NOT for me but some do need/like them.

Guy at my rifle club has just bought a TX1 and tricked it up, great gun and if money were no object I would get a TX1 over a 455 any day.

Just the same, I run a whole load of CZ and have used more rifles than I can remember over the years.   I rather suspect the TX1 will be no more accurate, reliable or repeatable than the CZ, I have never found my CZ's lacking for anything for field use and I'll not be rushing out to replace them with a TX1!

I don't need the Varmint barrel, but I do like the balance of the rifle. I had a CZ 452 American before, that I bought second-hand and wanted to buy new. The CZ feels right to the shoulder and in the hand.

The Tikka looks great but the stock feels a bit hollow and plastic-like. However looking beyond that, will I regret not buying one whilst I have the chance? A question only I can answer.

The CZ, I feel has a fantastic reputation as a very capable hunting rifle and I'm sure it will do the business in the field.

Currently I am watching every you tube vid I can find and reading the internet in an attempt to reach a decision.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

And very nice shooting.

I too wouldn't have taken the 5th shot.

Edited by Major Sharpe

2 minutes ago, Major Sharpe said:

I don't need the Varmint barrel, but I do like the balance of the rifle. I had a CZ 452 American before, that I bought second-hand and wanted to buy new. The CZ feels right to the shoulder and in the hand.

The Tikka looks great but the stock feels a bit hollow and plastic-like. However looking beyond that, will I regret not buying one whilst I have the chance? A question only I can answer.

The CZ, I feel has a fantastic reputation as a very capable hunting rifle and I'm sure it will do the business in the field.

Currently I am watching every you tube vid I can find and reading the internet in an attempt to reach a decision.

I really appreciate everyone's input.

You'll not go wrong with either! :good:   ……..but I still don't like the Varmints!

i own a cz varmint 17hmr and think it’s great the balance is perfect for ME and replicates my centrefire rifles in terms of weight.

i was tinkering with the idea of having a tx1 as I have the centrefire versions and knowing how they are thought it would be a great move. How wrong was I..... it felt really light to hold and not steadily planted like my cz and tikka are not doing a wooden version with varmint barrel to up the weight at present when I enquired.

i Take a lot of free standing shooting shots and not much shots taken off a bipod in the field so for me having a wondering light barrel makes no sense for ME others like a lighter gun for carrying.

im sticking with my cz varmint 👍

I have a SAKO Quad Varmint with the composit stock and heavy barrel, comes with the box. Its immaculate and has done less than 300 rounds. £500 face to face to enable inspection before purchase, or £600 with a very nice condition MTC Mamba. No sound mod with it. I only bought it for a dedicated night vision rig but no longer need two of them. 😔

It's not well known that they have a 5 round magazine - and its flush fitting with no protrusion below the action. It will also of course allow you to fit a .22LR or WMR barrel and magazine to it at some later date.

I occasionally travel through Devon en route to Cornwall from Leicester.

Edited by Dave-G

5 hours ago, Dekers said:

4Shots_1a_numbs.jpg.99537bb9a609e67ec3a2f70085db6f99.jpg

My CZ 452 American HMR, 100 yards, 4 shots, I bottled out of a 5th when I saw the group.  That works for me!

You snatched the first slightly then:good:

Edited by Walker570

You had me thinking and I went into my gunsafe to have a look at my 455 17HMR.  Having lifted it out, then yes I could feel a ????? not what I would call softness, but almost like the surface was covered in soft brushed cotton, is this what you referred too?  If so, then yes I have a soft one..as the actress said to the bishop... and after oh! I can't truly remember, 6 or 7 yrs maybe a bt more, of fairly regular use, then it is still as it was when I purchased it.  Have wiped it down with a damp cloth on occasion when it gets a bit mud splattered.

I own a CZ .17hmr varmint with a 16" barrel and a thumbhole laminated stock, I do a lot of walking on my permissions and sometimes find the rifle a bit heavy........but I am 72 years of age, I also considered changing the rifle for a lighter one - but decided against it as the rifle is so accurate and I knew I would regret the change.

Edited by browning123

8 hours ago, Rst1990 said:

i own a cz varmint 17hmr and think it’s great the balance is perfect for ME and replicates my centrefire rifles in terms of weight.

i was tinkering with the idea of having a tx1 as I have the centrefire versions and knowing how they are thought it would be a great move. How wrong was I..... it felt really light to hold and not steadily planted like my cz and tikka are not doing a wooden version with varmint barrel to up the weight at present when I enquired.

i Take a lot of free standing shooting shots and not much shots taken off a bipod in the field so for me having a wondering light barrel makes no sense for ME others like a lighter gun for carrying.

im sticking with my cz varmint 👍

I felt the Tikka was light,  hollow and plastic like. I want to like it but,....

7 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I have a SAKO Quad Varmint with the composit stock and heavy barrel, comes with the box. Its immaculate and has done less than 300 rounds. £500 face to face to enable inspection before purchase, or £600 with a very nice condition MTC Mamba. No sound mod with it. I only bought it for a dedicated night vision rig but no longer need two of them. 😔

It's not well known that they have a 5 round magazine - and its flush fitting with no protrusion below the action. It will also of course allow you to fit a .22LR or WMR barrel and magazine to it at some later date.

I occasionally travel through Devon en route to Cornwall from Leicester.

All noted, thank you. I know nothing of the Sako, so I'll have to do some research.

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

You had me thinking and I went into my gunsafe to have a look at my 455 17HMR.  Having lifted it out, then yes I could feel a ????? not what I would call softness, but almost like the surface was covered in soft brushed cotton, is this what you referred too?  If so, then yes I have a soft one..as the actress said to the bishop... and after oh! I can't truly remember, 6 or 7 yrs maybe a bt more, of fairly regular use, then it is still as it was when I purchased it.  Have wiped it down with a damp cloth on occasion when it gets a bit mud splattered.

Yes!

This is what I mean. It feels very different to hard plastic and I like it. Very pleased to hear that it survives very well. Thank you for checking.

1 hour ago, browning123 said:

I own a CZ .17hmr varmint with a 16" thumbhole laminated stock, I do a lot of walking on my permissions and sometimes find the rifle a bit heavy........but I am 72 years of age, I also considered changing the rifle for a lighter one - but decided against it as the rifle is so accurate and I knew I would regret the change.

Thank you for your response.