Card Fraud

Dougy

Well ive been done, never thought they could get me, but the clever so and so's managed to get over 1k out of my account. 

Account now froze and new card coming this week, and thankfully the money will be back into my account end of the week.

I have absolutely no idea how, im a bit stute with regards to banking and on line payment and are pretty well informed on fraudulent actions due to work related issues/ 

I can only say i wish their gonads would fester and they were fed to the maggots that do this kind of stuff.  

I had mine done a while ago. It was a slush fund account so minimal account activity. 

I had made 2 payments, 1 to a big insurance company and 1 to a small country attire retailer. 

Turns out the banks have mapping softwares to analyse transactions and fraudulent activity. 

It was a woman in the account department of the small country company. 

She had set up PayPal accounts and eBay profiles and would create a buy it now auction for a random title with a buy it now then move the money

this was back in the day where you could just use card details to create PayPal accounts without the need for the 3 digit on reverse. All the other info she had from the delivery details! 

43 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It always used to be card copying in Shell petrol stations, how did they get you Dougy?

Yep. Had it happen twice. First time they managed to spend £700 on my card before the card company twigged. Second time they sussed it straight away as I had spent £30 on it one morning (in London) and by lunchtime I was apparently trying to buy something for $9000 in Thailand. Both times it was narrowed to down to Shell petrol stations. And they say cards are safer than cash?

22 minutes ago, walshie said:

Yep. Had it happen twice. First time they managed to spend £700 on my card before the card company twigged. Second time they sussed it straight away as I had spent £30 on it one morning (in London) and by lunchtime I was apparently trying to buy something for $9000 in Thailand. Both times it was narrowed to down to Shell petrol stations. And they say cards are safer than cash?

We had the same with a company I once worked for. Expenses for the month on the company card signed off no problem

one of the lads was early for a meeting so scanned his card statement prior to signing it. A few quid here and there at shell stations (funnily enough) so he passed it off as a sandwich on the run.... another transaction to ... bling blink phones (I kid you not) for a substantial amount. 

Turns out the card had been cloned months before and a quid or so taken every now and again, that turned into a few quid a few tunes a week then a few big transactions, if it wasn’t to such a stupid name he even then may not have twigged! 

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

I think he means have you used a cash point , online payment etc dude.

they need fingers removed.

^^  :good:

Dougy did they buy stuff, shops/online or withdraw cash? How many transactions?

Edited by old'un

Blimey, glad you got your money back, they must have had your long card number and the 3 digit security number?

I had a maximum one lump sum put on mine, but the crafty **** can always spend small amounts hoping it does not flag-up.

Just a thought, if you have only used your card to purchase from 3 companies (online I presume) when was the last time you scanned your computer for key loggers?

Card copying, as above. Mine was done at an ASDA petrol station, as that was the only place I hand over my card. Three different phone top ups and my bank froze the account. Details are usually sold on to dark web sites and people buy the details and usually top up or buy an online business ticket of low value before going for large value stuff.

They dont need the 3 digits, if you pay via Amazon account for example, you set up a payment account, you dont give the 3 security digits to set that up. 

the most annoying thing is, the banks will refund the moneys, but to them its just collateral damage and small loss, they pay out billions a year on fraud yet they still make money. 

For any other business they would not last five minutes paying that kind of compo, 1/2 hour on the phone to the fraud department and they have promised to pay out over 1k. 

The bits of debris that took my money out are walking round well dressed in brand new clothes frem Next, and can gamble for free. Yet B all is done to stop them, no deterrent whatsoever. Next have supplied someone with over 7 transactions without a question, ??? The items were sent to some address in the UK, even post box's need to have an owner to empty them. 

Chip and PIN the answer to all fraud 🐔 the banks were told decades ago it was rubbish . 

The chances are that its an employee of one of the companies i bought from on line. 

i bank with lloyds and they do seem very switched on to card fraud, twice now i have been called by there fraud dept to alert me to some unusual transactions, i buy a lot of stuff online and i suppose its the risk you take, i am sure once my card details were used after buying something online from currys. A few years ago i was buying a new freezer and presented my card only for it to be declined,  after a few minutes my mobile rang and it was lloyds  querying the transaction, after confirming it was legit they unblocked it and the sale went through, i was very impressed by that.

6 minutes ago, paul1966 said:

i bank with lloyds and they do seem very switched on to card fraud, twice now i have been called by there fraud dept to alert me to some unusual transactions, i buy a lot of stuff online and i suppose its the risk you take, i am sure once my card details were used after buying something online from currys. A few years ago i was buying a new freezer and presented my card only for it to be declined,  after a few minutes my mobile rang and it was lloyds  querying the transaction, after confirming it was legit they unblocked it and the sale went through, i was very impressed by that.

I'm with Lloyds and they do seem switched on. They recently declined a payment of mine when ordering a Thai delivery and sent me a text asking if i had tried to make the payment. Weird thing was that i had ordered from this same place using the same card on quite a few occasions in the past.

its rife at the moment we had two last week at work we have procedures in place for this kind of thing, its allways on line done over the weekend both for coffee machines £1500 and £4500 the Midlands is bad for it Wolverhampton we just report it to the fraud department nothing ever gets done waste of time  

Halifax, part of Lloyds are pretty good, I arrange a days simulated game shooting each spring and ask people to pay the money into my day to day account. it doesnt have any more than £1k in it at a time and most transactions are under £100.00. The last two years when I've tried to pay the depost, £2k ish by card over the phone it's been declined immediately. I called the bank when it happened and they explained that as it's a much higher amount than the usual tranactions it's blocked pending approval, reassuring if inconvenient at the time. I now transfer the money online.

Barclays stopped my card paying for my hotel in New York ,good job as i was 3000 miles away in Germany at the time ,shysters at the local garage scanned about 75 cards and flew home to Nigeria a place famed for high standards in banking and finance 

Well just under 1500 taken out in 3 days, and thankfully will all be back in end of play this week. New card came today, password changed and from now on an old account will be set up for all on line payments with just enough in to cover payment.