Heart burn

team tractor

I suffer with stomach acids and live on lanzaprosol 30mg day and night. I’ve been ok for a while but the last week I’m in agony.

i don’t drink

dont really have fry ups

curry once a week possibly only once a month . 

No more stressed than normal to be honest. 

I’m at the doctors for an asthma assessment Thursday but that’s a nurse. Docs is 3 weeks wait. 

Many ideas to try ??? 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Many ideas to try

You could try cutting out/reducing wheat/flour based items.  I think it may be the gluten that causes issues.  I find too much bread can give me acidity, but in my case it is minor and I rarely take and medicine - and then only bicarb of soda types like Bisodol or Rennies.

1 minute ago, JohnfromUK said:

You could try cutting out/reducing wheat/flour based items.  I think it may be the gluten that causes issues.  I find too much bread can give me acidity, but in my case it is minor and I rarely take and medicine - and then only bicarb of soda types like Bisodol or Rennies.

Never thought about gluten. I have sandwiches at work but that’s about it

Bread, crisps, potatoes, coffee and any fizzy alcoholic drinks.

Indeed any ‘white’ food really.

Also, lack of water. I was told that if you drink the 4 litres of water a day we’re all supposed to drink then it just goes away.

I can just look at a room temperature can of lager and a sandwich and I get indigestion 😝

Just now, Mungler said:

Bread, crisps, potatoes, coffee and any fizzy alcoholic drinks.

Indeed any ‘white’ food really.

Also, lack of water. I was told that if you drink the 4 litres of water a day we’re all supposed to drink then it just goes away.

I can just look at a room temperature can of lager and a sandwich and I get indigestion 😝

I stopped drinking fizzy pop6 months ago in a bid to be healthy. Feel better for it .

potatoes ? I’ve just had mash so looking forward to this afternoon :/ .

I was having trouble at night in bed because of the arthritis med's. I remembered Mum's trick - she had a hiatus hernia - and have put a couple of bricks under each leg of the top of the bed, raising it about 4 inches. If your problem is acid moving up out of your stomach then gravity keeps it where it should be.

I had that as well and was told to never sleep on my left hand side as that's where the entrance to your stomach is. Sleep on your right and it's at the top and less likely to have reflux ,indigestion and heartburn. Sometimes it helps , but not always with a bad attack.

2 hours ago, JohnfromUK said:

Where did you read that John?

Think I may need to do the same 😞 

51 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Where did you read that John?

Think I may need to do the same 😞 

Not read - personal experience!

I find that I can manage some bread (i.e. a bit of toast at breakfast, or even a sandwich at lunchtime), but too much, or later in the evening and I get 'reflux'.  Salads and raw onions can also be a problem, but cooked onions seem fine!

It is strange as it does vary a bit and I can manage most things (curry, fried etc.) OK, but bread and salads and similar (biscuits) seem to cause problems.  Potatoes are OK, as is rice, but pasta can be problematical.

I stress, mine isn't bad compared to many people, but I (think) I have identified some of the triggers.  Note that none of the triggers cause any other digestive type issues.

I would suggest trying various 'omissions' and keeping a diary of the outcome.

Edited by JohnfromUK

2 hours ago, wymberley said:

I was having trouble at night in bed because of the arthritis med's. I remembered Mum's trick - she had a hiatus hernia - and have put a couple of bricks under each leg of the top of the bed, raising it about 4 inches. If your problem is acid moving up out of your stomach then gravity keeps it where it should be.

Good call.

Coffee, chocolate, butter and spreads,oranges or juice, milk or cream, curry(onions), cereals, especially porridge, anything with an added acidity regulator, fried food , due to the oil (usually veg oil.)

All the things I love, but give me acid.

Cures , take a ranitidine every morning , chew gum, try to drink more water, the closer to ph 7 the better, avoid tap water, unless yours is particularly soft, sitting down for long periods is bad, exercise.

Don't stress.

I find spelt bread mixed with wheat works better for me than all wheat bread. I started making my own in the bread maker. No indigestion after sandwiches with it. 

We also have an inline filter plumbed in next to the sink. When away in the caravan I use a Berkafeld filter.

I also take Nexium.

Edited by loriusgarrulus

Despite the TV adds that present ongoing indigestion and heart burn as perfectly normal - they aren't -  instead they're strong indicators of poor lifestyle.

Have you tried eating more slowly, chewing more thoroughly? Do you eat at regular times and in similar quantities? Do you sit upright at a table when eating? Do you go for a No 2 at least once every day and when you've been do you feel like you've really been - if you know what I mean? Are you on any regular medication, particularly NSAIDs?

Do you know about Ph balance within the body and have you tested it? There are foods which increase your metabolic acidity and others which are alkalizing; these are often not related to their apparent acidity.  Citrous fruits for example are alkalizing, even though they contain noticeable amounts of ascorbic acid.

The body will always try to achieve what's known as homeostatsis which is a blood Ph of between 7.35 and 7.45 and it will leech bases (alkaline substances) to avoid a drop in Ph which can lead to acidosis.

A glass of water with a big teaspoon of bicarb stirred in is good for stomach acidity but, as with any "remedy", it isn't a cure. (If you hate the saltiness of bicarb add some alkalizing lemon juice).