Heart burn

team tractor

Some good advise on here, . I have 2x6 inch blocks under the bed head, always sleep on my right side and don't ever eat anything after 6 o'clock in the evening. People who have acid reflux's needs are different from the hiatus hernia. I sometimes struggle just with fluids after 9 o'clock, i take just 1 lanprazole early evening for the H/H but have been advised not to take over the counter stuff like rennies as that can be counter productive. Its hard for folks to understand that" just taking a small drink to wash it back down", doesn't work 'cause that don't stay down either. Good luck

from Auntie.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Westward said:

Have you tried eating more slowly, chewing more thoroughly? Do you eat at regular times and in similar quantities? Do you sit upright at a table when eating? Do you go for a No 2 at least once every day and when you've been do you feel like you've really been - if you know what I mean? Are you on any regular medication, particularly NSAIDs?

Not a fast eater , eat within an hour of same times,always sat at a table and regular ;) 

I’m on steroids/inhalers 

18 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Some good advise on here, . I have 2x6 inch blocks under the bed head, always sleep on my right side and don't ever eat anything after 6 o'clock in the evening. People who have acid reflux's needs are different from the hiatus hernia. I sometimes struggle just with fluids after 9 o'clock, i take just 1 lanprazole early evening for the H/H but have been advised not to take over the counter stuff like rennies as that can be counter productive. Its hard for folks to understand that" just taking a small drink to wash it back down", doesn't work 'cause that don't stay down either. Good luck

from Auntie.

I have a bad neck so need to sleep reasonably flat but have for ever.  I understood gaviscon shouldn’t be taken with tablets but was recently told to take both by the ear,nose throat hospital 

44 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I have a bad neck so need to sleep reasonably flat but have for ever.  I understood gaviscon shouldn’t be taken with tablets but was recently told to take both by the ear,nose throat hospital 

The ENT doctor recommended me to take Gaviscon along with  Omeprezole tablets for reflux, [leave an hour or two between] i'm reducing my intake of omeprozole to 10mg per day and cutting out/reducing all the stuff thats causing the reflux, curry, beer, chocolate etc and increasing water consumption, i also sleep with my bed elevated on a block......... Im sick of the sore throats and reckon its time to cut out the causes

30 minutes ago, Westward said:

As in steroid inhaler or oral steroids and separate inhaler?

Seritide 

4 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The ENT doctor recommended me to take Gaviscon along with  Omeprezole tablets for reflux, [leave an hour or two between] i'm reducing my intake of omeprozole to 10mg per day and cutting out/reducing all the stuff thats causing the reflux, curry, beer, chocolate etc and increasing water consumption, i also sleep with my bed elevated on a block......... Im sick of the sore throats and reckon its time to cut out the causes

Tomorrow is the start of a new me.

just about to cook rice for tomorrow’s lunch which gives me time to shop for tea

2 hours ago, team tractor said:

I was advised that the amount of height from pillows is irrelavant and that it was more important to raise the actual bed head by 6 inches. Your need is to keep your stomach lower than your neck., but it is very important to not eat after 6 in the evening... Gaviscon may help and you can take both, this will help to put a lining on your throat which will save the acid burning your throat.  .from Auntie.

Edited by 100milesaway
addition.

12 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

I was advised that the amount of height from pillows is irrelavant and that it was more important to raise the actual bed head by 6 inches. Your need is to keep your stomach lower than your neck., but it is very important to not eat after 6 in the evening... Gaviscon may help and you can take both, this will help to put a lining on your throat which will save the acid burning your throat.  .from Auntie.

Hmmm good point on the bed. I’ll try lifting the lot 

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

That's my medicine combo and I just take the lot plus others last thing in the evening,often sleep on the couch with cushions propping me up to lessen the heartburn.

49 minutes ago, 100milesaway said:

Thats what i understood, raising your head or bending your neck on extra pillows will make it worse, best put some blocks under the head end of the bed

36 minutes ago, snow white said:

I have crones and milk is no good for me I have tea but only with a bit milk in it try leaving milk out

Didn’t know that Tony! I have/had ulcerative colitis. 

Was diagnosed at 12yrs old, had my bowel out in feb 2016 - changed my life :good: 

looking back I should have had the op 15 years ago.... would have saved on suffering and constant issues...

all the best mate. 

I've suffered acid  reflux for years, but  after intermittent  bouts of agonising upper abdominal pain  I was finally diagnosed with   gall stones.

Gallbladder gone, pain gone,  took half  a dozen   GPs  and  an  expensive  private consultant  to get there though.

I have suffered from reflux for a longtime and I have a Lansaprazole, one daily but this wears off as the day goes on if I eat late I have a couple of spoonfuls of Greek Yoghurt before bedtime or if I do get reflux in the night it’s out to the fridge and a couple of spoonfuls then straight back to sleep. I tried all sorts of products before that didn’t work.

GREEK YOGHURT WORKS AND IS VERY GOOD FOR YOU.

S B.

4 minutes ago, Stour-boy said:

GREEK YOGHURT WORKS AND IS VERY GOOD FOR YOU.

Opposite effect on me, anything yoghurty, including those gut bacteria drinks, sets it off. 

It's like my stomach looks at it as a poison, and tries to kill it with acid! 

If you have a hiatus hernia you can get that relieved or even cured by an osteopath. I was on omeprezole for 15 years. Tried to get off it after the links with dementia became public. Ranitadine didn't work. Asked for the omeprezole back, had to have a camera investigation, nothing the NHS could/would do. Two sessions with the osteopath with some exercises to do at home, problem actually fixed. Osteo says: "in the event of a hiatus hernia, simply by releasing the fascia around the diaphragm and the diaphragm itself, you can gently manipulate the stomach back down from being pinched in the oesophageal foramen which in this case would be keeping the cardiac sphincter open and once the stomach is lower and the cardiac sphincter is properly shut the stomach acid is kept where it’s supposed to be."

£90 versus 15 years of drugs and a surgical exploration. 

I think everyone is different;

I can eat (and very much enjoy) a fairly hot curry (like a Madras), cooked onions, chillis, garlic, including naan (i.e. gram flour) bread reasonable amounts of fried food - and I'm 100% fine.

If I eat a couple of slices of normal bread (i.e wheat flour), raw onions, some salads, too much tomato - then I have a high risk of indigestion/reflux, but even that isn't 100% certain.  Sometimes I will 'get away with it'.  I can't find any really solid 'avoids' as there is too much variation, but the highest 'danger foods' are undoubtedly wheat flour based and raw onions.

I also cannot eat much egg, but that has been a lifetime issue causing indigestion and 'discomfort' and seems to be a family trait.

1 hour ago, ehb102 said:

If you have a hiatus hernia you can get that relieved or even cured by an osteopath. I was on omeprezole for 15 years. Tried to get off it after the links with dementia became public. Ranitadine didn't work. Asked for the omeprezole back, had to have a camera investigation, nothing the NHS could/would do. Two sessions with the osteopath with some exercises to do at home, problem actually fixed. Osteo says: "in the event of a hiatus hernia, simply by releasing the fascia around the diaphragm and the diaphragm itself, you can gently manipulate the stomach back down from being pinched in the oesophageal foramen which in this case would be keeping the cardiac sphincter open and once the stomach is lower and the cardiac sphincter is properly shut the stomach acid is kept where it’s supposed to be."

Thats very interesting , thank you.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I can eat (and very much enjoy) a fairly hot curry (like a Madras), cooked onions, chillis, garlic, including naan (i.e. gram flour) bread reasonable amounts of fried food - and I'm 100% fine.

Im very similar to that, sometimes you say to yourself , 'Im going to suffer for eating that' and.. nothing happens.
Fresh orange juice is a guaranteed trigger, usually before I finish the glass ! As are the aforementioned yoghurts.

The consumption of bread with resultant acid, I always put down to whatever spread went with it ? Maybe not ?

I suffered acid/indigestion for donkeys (maybe 20?) years! Quack kept on prescribing antacids, did NBG! I also had another symptom, allied to the acid/indigestion ( at least I thought it was!), irregular severe upper stomach pain mostly at night! Which caused me to throw up, and even resort to walking around the streets in the middle of the night, as I couldn't sit still or sleep with the pain......then GP prescribed Omeprozole which stopped the indigestion, but not the irregular severe stomach pain! Ended up in A&E twice, second time, the emergency doctor carried out an ultrasound scan....she immediately diagnosed I had a gall stone the size of a big acorn! The Gall bladder was removed two weeks later, that was five years ago! Result, no more severe stomach pain! I still take one Omeprozole first thing in the morning, for me it appears indigestion is a thing of the past? I stopped taking them briefly, a couple of years ago.....acid/indigestion came back with a vengeance....so I'm back on em!....and I don't now know anything I can't eat!

Edited by panoma1

15 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Good call.

Coffee, chocolate, butter and spreads,oranges or juice, milk or cream, curry(onions), cereals, especially porridge, anything with an added acidity regulator, fried food , due to the oil (usually veg oil.)

All the things I love, but give me acid.

Cures , take a ranitidine every morning , chew gum, try to drink more water, the closer to ph 7 the better, avoid tap water, unless yours is particularly soft, sitting down for long periods is bad, exercise.

Don't stress.

Would it not be hard water that you would want to drink? Hard water is more alkaline than soft. Alkaline buffers acidity.

19 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Would it not be hard water that you would want to drink? Hard water is more alkaline than soft. Alkaline buffers acidity.

My thinking, and I could be wrong, or it could just be me personally, is that when an alkaloid is introduced to my stomach (which is by and large an acidic environment) the stomach acid pump goes into overdrive putting its preferred situation back ?
An antacid like milk or dairy, obviously sets its off, coffee is an alkaloid (also milk in it) 
But these seem to only work temporarily.

Quite why acid things like fruit juices do it do Im not sure, especially so rapidly .

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods#1

Chewing gum produces saliva, a mild alkali, also the mint in it and things like extra strong mints are pretty effective in a pinch.
Mint or peppermint tea, is an excellent stomach calmer after a heavy meal.

8 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

My thinking, and I could be wrong, or it could just be me personally, is that when an alkaloid is introduced to my stomach (which is by and large an acidic environment) the stomach acid pump goes into overdrive putting its preferred situation back ?
An antacid like milk or dairy, obviously sets its off, coffee is an alkaloid (also milk in it) 
But these seem to only work temporarily.

Quite why acid things like fruit juices do it do Im not sure, especially so rapidly .

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods#1

Chewing gum produces saliva, a mild alkali, also the mint in it and things like extra strong mints are pretty effective in a pinch.
Mint or peppermint tea, is an excellent stomach calmer after a heavy meal.

doesnt mint make you burp ? something to avoid with acid reflux.. as i understand it caffeine and mint are on the dont take list also high fat dairy etc etc etc

2 hours ago, ehb102 said:

£90 versus 15 years of drugs and a surgical exploration. 

Looked up some breathing exercises, seems like a great idea, can you recommend one, or link please