Heart burn

team tractor

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, islandgun said:

Looked up some breathing exercises, seems like a great idea, can you recommend one, or link please

For an osteopath I recommend Teddy Brookes at the Therapy Rooms in Cambridge and also on Mondays in Grosvenor Place, SW1W.  Breathing exercises I have never really done other than breathing deeply, breathing in more and holding. 

The other thing that I initially thought was utter bunk but had to eat my own words was a prebiotic. When I had reflux again and the hernia wasn't returned a prebiotic, specifically Garden of Life, was recommended, for times of "stress or post antibiotics". As I'd just had antibiotics I ordered some. Two weeks and my latest reflux problem went away. 

4 hours ago, ehb102 said:

For an osteopath I recommend Teddy Brookes at the Therapy Rooms in Cambridge and also on Mondays in Grosvenor Place, SW1W.  Breathing exercises I have never really done other than breathing deeply, breathing in more and holding. 

The other thing that I initially thought was utter bunk but had to eat my own words was a prebiotic. When I had reflux again and the hernia wasn't returned a prebiotic, specifically Garden of Life, was recommended, for times of "stress or post antibiotics". As I'd just had antibiotics I ordered some. Two weeks and my latest reflux problem went away. 

thanks very much.. A bit far for the osteopath, I will definitely be looking at prebiotic, i do have probiotic yogurts daily, all good,   cheers

Edited by islandgun

9 hours ago, Rewulf said:

My thinking, and I could be wrong, or it could just be me personally, is that when an alkaloid is introduced to my stomach (which is by and large an acidic environment) the stomach acid pump goes into overdrive putting its preferred situation back ?
An antacid like milk or dairy, obviously sets its off, coffee is an alkaloid (also milk in it) 
But these seem to only work temporarily.

Quite why acid things like fruit juices do it do Im not sure, especially so rapidly .

https://www.webmd.com/heartburn-gerd/features/top-10-heartburn-foods#1

Chewing gum produces saliva, a mild alkali, also the mint in it and things like extra strong mints are pretty effective in a pinch.
Mint or peppermint tea, is an excellent stomach calmer after a heavy meal.

What you're describing (and also from several other posters) does not sound like heartburn or indigestion. The rapidity and reaction to miniscule levels of a natural acids is much more typical of peptic ulcers.

Antacids, which partially neutralize stomach acid, make indigestion/heartburn better not worse.

1 hour ago, team tractor said:

Well Ditchman messaged me about gluten and this is the first day in a month without heartburn. I’ve had zero cereal or bread until the mrs went shopping and bought gluten free so I’ll see how it goes tomorrow. 

Feels weird 

@ditchman

thats how i found out..........i tell you bread was my staple...good homemade bread...i couldnt eat a meal without it........and my morning brekky was 3 wheat-a-bix...........it was difficult to say by by to cerals...but was easier than expected............after about 2 weeks i relapsed and had a couple of pasties and the odd sausage roll...................god i was ill again...then went totally gluten free................it is a lot easier than you think....but takes a bit of brain power to work out what you can and cannot eat............

glad you are feeling a bit better..........stick with it for 36-48 hours and see what sort of difference it makes ...:good:

be careful how much gluten free bread you eat..............2 slices or a roll is the max for me....if i have 3 slices of gluten free bread...i can feel my gut starting to swell and go tight...........the crisp bread (gluten free) is far better for you........

Edited by ditchman

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

thanks very much.. A bit far for the osteopath, I will definitely be looking at prebiotic, i do have probiotic yogurts daily, all good,   cheers

If it's the hiatus hernia, any local osteopath of reasonable standard should be able to help.  

39 minutes ago, ditchman said:

thats how i found out..........i tell you bread was my staple...good homemade bread...i couldnt eat a meal without it........and my morning brekky was 3 wheat-a-bix...........it was difficult to say by by to cerals...but was easier than expected............after about 2 weeks i relapsed and had a couple of pasties and the odd sausage roll...................god i was ill again...then went totally gluten free................it is a lot easier than you think....but takes a bit of brain power to work out what you can and cannot eat............

glad you are feeling a bit better..........stick with it for 36-48 hours and see what sort of difference it makes ...:good:

be careful how much gluten free bread you eat..............2 slices or a roll is the max for me....if i have 3 slices of gluten free bread...i can feel my gut starting to swell and go tight...........the crisp bread (gluten free) is far better for you........

I’m noticing the price of gluten free products is a bit eye watering. Might try making my own bread . 

22 minutes ago, team tractor said:

I’m noticing the price of gluten free products is a bit eye watering. Might try making my own bread . 

Not the easiest of bread to make.

My wife is gf, and so far my attempts at making her bread have failed miserably.

She finds the Schar brand of bought bread to be the most palatable.

I sympathise hugely with you chaps. Had a hideous bout of indigestion brought about by stress about 5 years ago - I didn’t know what it was (felt muscular - like I’d been punched in the stomach) and took a load of ibuprofen... Turns out this was a mistake!

A course of rinitidin helped (finally getting redundancy cured it tho). Bad times.

Not recurring and don’t know if any triggers for me - not terribly helpful, but this thread just makes me want a curry! 🤦‍♂️

Just read through this while I'm listening to my little lad coughing ☹ I was thinking about gluten as one of my judo instructors had a similar condition, he said going gluten free was a life changer for him, personally the idea of no cereal sounds horrendous.

for those saying milk sets you off have you tried goats milk? It's dear and i only buy it reduced because its different but it could help?

as for orange / apple juice we always water it down.

night y'all.