Rebuilding a Fordson How Much Space Required

arm3000gt

Which model ?   18ft longways ?  if so your going to be a bit tight either side but if your going to pull it apart then you need the room.  I forget the length of them but your definitely going to be tight front and back if it is 10ft deep.    Your only going to have about 2ft 6inch either side if the garage is 10ft wide.   It will be a tight one, but not impossible if you have some alternative sheds to store unwanted parts ....like wheels !!      We need to see this catalogued in the crafts/etc section, couold be interesting.

39 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Which model ?   18ft longways ?  if so your going to be a bit tight either side but if your going to pull it apart then you need the room.  I forget the length of them but your definitely going to be tight front and back if it is 10ft deep.    Your only going to have about 2ft 6inch either side if the garage is 10ft wide.   It will be a tight one, but not impossible if you have some alternative sheds to store unwanted parts ....like wheels !!      We need to see this catalogued in the crafts/etc section, couold be interesting.

i 2nd this:good:

Its enough room is that, but you might have to work on panels outside or some where else once you get the tin off it and the wheels its not that big but the parts have to go somewhere, and moving parts out of the way before you start is annoying. i think you have just about enough space but you dont want any clutter around the sides of the workshop or a bench at the end that could get you struggling. 10ft is not that wide moving over to one side to give more room then same other side will be your best bet.

Thanks for the replies certainly echoing my current thoughts. I will have a shed in the garden but that will be full of normal garden type stuff. The garage roof is pitched so there will be space to store some things above head height. I've based everything so far off a Fordson New Major just shy of 11ft length 5.5ft width. I thought about sliding it one way working on one side then moving to do the other. How easy that would be in reality is another thing. Garage is 18ft long, 10ft wide approx.

I've been wanting to do it for a number of years but I've not had space close to home. I knew even if I rented somewhere I wouldn't spend the time required going and getting stuck in. I am hopefully moving soon and the house has a largish single garage attached. This would make it easy for me to just pop out for an hour and do something, but still be about the house. Logistics of power, water, heating etc also much easier. 

I've tinkered with fixing cars but never a tractor so will be a steep learning curve. Not sure what model yet I'm still on the hunt. Ideally it will have a belt pulley as I would like to run table saw off it (which I have already secured). I've found one but needs a complete rebuild inc engine according to the seller. Waiting for serial numbers and pictures. A lot of work but still tempted just for the experience.

Edited by arm3000gt

4 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

Unfortunately not. We've compromised on driveway space for better (to us) location. The drive way is only really big enough to accommodate our cars and no access to garden except down the side of the house which is not 5 1/2ft wide. I'd rather not move in and start abandoning vehicles and stripped down tractors about the place. It will have to be in the garage.to get past the wife as well.

10 minutes ago, arm3000gt said:

Unfortunately not. We've compromised on driveway space for better (to us) location. The drive way is only really big enough to accommodate our cars and no access to garden except down the side of the house which is not 5 1/2ft wide. I'd rather not move in and start abandoning vehicles and stripped down tractors about the place. It will have to be in the garage.to get past the wife as well.

Let your wife live in the garage and put the tractor in the house! 👍

12 hours ago, arm3000gt said:

Thanks for the replies certainly echoing my current thoughts. I will have a shed in the garden but that will be full of normal garden type stuff. The garage roof is pitched so there will be space to store some things above head height. I've based everything so far off a Fordson New Major just shy of 11ft length 5.5ft width. I thought about sliding it one way working on one side then moving to do the other. How easy that would be in reality is another thing. Garage is 18ft long, 10ft wide approx.

I've been wanting to do it for a number of years but I've not had space close to home. I knew even if I rented somewhere I wouldn't spend the time required going and getting stuck in. I am hopefully moving soon and the house has a largish single garage attached. This would make it easy for me to just pop out for an hour and do something, but still be about the house. Logistics of power, water, heating etc also much easier. 

I've tinkered with fixing cars but never a tractor so will be a steep learning curve. Not sure what model yet I'm still on the hunt. Ideally it will have a belt pulley as I would like to run table saw off it (which I have already secured). I've found one but needs a complete rebuild inc engine according to the seller. Waiting for serial numbers and pictures. A lot of work but still tempted just for the experience.

Be weary of the engine rebuild as the bottom of the cylinder block rusts away where the o rings that seal the wet liners locate.

8 hours ago, bornfree said:

Be weary of the engine rebuild as the bottom of the cylinder block rusts away where the o rings that seal the wet liners locate.

I have read this. It is obviously be a concern and won't find out until the engine is stripped down. Still reading up on all the potential pitfalls. Seller has said he has another engine but is also of unknown condition. 

Got some pictures, certainly quite a bit of work to do. Waiting for some year information. Spare engine of unknown condition (assured was working some years ago) for some extra £££. Might be a deal to be done. Guess it had a loader attached at some point in its life. 

Might be able to get a friend to view over the weekend. Wife thinks I'm mad, I told her feeding her horse £500+ food over winter is crazy.

does it have to be a fordson? my father is selling his collection in the autumn, mostly massey harris, there's a few early sawyer masseys in there, some have been fully restored, others have just had a coat of linseed, but all of them are mechanically sound. varying sizes too from the pony, which will fit in your pocket almost, to a double doe style pair of 55's which definitely won't. Its one of the largest private collections this side of the pond and worth a look if you're seriously interested and can wait a few months, drop me a pm if you want any more info

17 minutes ago, Paddy Galore! said:

does it have to be a fordson? my father is selling his collection in the autumn, mostly massey harris, there's a few early sawyer masseys in there, some have been fully restored, others have just had a coat of linseed, but all of them are mechanically sound. varying sizes too from the pony, which will fit in your pocket almost, to a double doe style pair of 55's which definitely won't. Its one of the largest private collections this side of the pond and worth a look if you're seriously interested and can wait a few months, drop me a pm if you want any more info

Thanks for the info. I've not really looked into others. I'll do a bit of searching over the next few days and drop you a pm.

I have restored several old tractors including majors. I am currently working on a mf37 it is in a workshop 6mtrs x 6mtrs.you need room for a decent bench and to store panels that you removed. I would not want to do one in a normal garage not saying it could not be done just it would be awkward.