Which hide poles

make your own out of hazel a good notch in the top and a half inch wood bit with a small bar welded to the top to get them trough the hard crust iff needed, put them in a fishing rod bag rod tube cut down with a strap attached . Vertualy free light strong and replaceable. you can use thos green garden stakes too they are light and cheap just have to make a top hook they will work.

Bought poles are ok up to a point but never have enough spike below the kicker to stay solid in wind and you end up with other things to do to stabilise the hide in these conditions more guy ropes and pegs its all adding to the inventory and complexity , DIY is your best bet then you get what you want not what’s available at a price.

23 minutes ago, JDog said:

Same here. Mine have been used thousands of times.

They were the first ones I splashed out on , I cant say mine were used 1000s of time but they were used a lot until they finally gave up the ghost , one advantage was they were easy to get your net on and off with ease , another was they were light and yet very strong .

After trying to get one in very dry and hard ground it bent at the base and after trying to straighten it out it snapped off from the kick plate , then they started to slide down with the weight of the nets , this was put right by tighten up the plastic cones on the inside of the pole , like everything else in life they don't last forever and I then bought a cheaper set and used the odd ones as spare ,  but all in all I haven't had any as good as the Pinewood and although fairly dear , if you want the best  you get what you pay for .

If I encountered very hard ground, I used a short piece of 1/2" steel rod and a small hammer, using that to make a hole suitable to drop the pinewood pole into. I also 'braced' them with para cord and tent pegs in very windy weather, to stop them from bending.  That is maybe why, they have lasted over 20 years     🤔

I do not know of any that take down to fit in small bag. You could try getting some drain rods drill out the pins on the brass fittings shorten the rods to your desired length and drill and re pin them into say four small sections per pole.

I think the drain rod idea is best chance if you buy the wooden type they will be strong enough to hold a net, i think the plastic ones would be but they can bend a little, but you are not forc ing them down drains so so most probably be all right i can not think of any other way you could get what you want and good thing about drain rods the brass fittings are good and adaptable for shortening easily .Good luck.

£15 argos shold make you four poles

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3164871?cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59156|acid:444-797-0832|cid:189934405|agid:18091936285|tid:pla-112114460245|crid:77627770525|nw:g|rnd:409607867614541952|dvc:c|adp:1o1|mt:|loc:9046265&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIi_SQubqL4QIVK5PtCh1-GQSuEAQYASABEgI2tfD_BwE

Edited by lancer425

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Use a pair of telescopic walking poles!

12 minutes ago, tweedledee said:

I'm just after something that would go in a bag I could throw over my shoulder....3or4 ft long....I'm after something easier carried than the full length poles I have....

Bingo!

4 hours ago, tweedledee said:

I'm just after something that would go in a bag I could throw over my shoulder....3or4 ft long....I'm after something easier carried than the full length poles I have....

Dinsmore Syndcate carp bank sticks go out from 30 inches out to 5 ft, screw ends and can buy the Y rod rest tops, 30 inch tool bag to carry in, anglers essentials shop  ebay bag from army surplus

6 hours ago, tweedledee said:

I am sure if there was a demand for them , the guys who produce the two part poles that extend out could produce a three section pole that are a bit smaller than the two piece ones , these would then give you a bit more height at the back of the hide and lower at the front if needed , maybe they are already on the market , although I have never seen any .

Don't know if they are still made, but I have some 3 section poles, bought 25+ years ago. Think they are Pinewood, but Apple seems to stick in the mind. I use them for extra height where necessary. Not tried a search but some of the old boys on here will remember them. They've lasted.

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

I am sure if there was a demand for them , the guys who produce the two part poles that extend out could produce a three section pole that are a bit smaller than the two piece ones , these would then give you a bit more height at the back of the hide and lower at the front if needed , maybe they are already on the market , although I have never seen any .

hello, i have trawled the internet and can only find two part poles, i have an idea to make some, i have found suitable size twist locks and cloths prop tops, it is a matter of getting some steel or ally tube, 2 x 1/2 inch x 2 feet long    2 x 5/8 inch x 2 feet long   2 x 3/4 inch x 2 feet long ???

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have trawled the internet and can only find two part poles, i have an idea to make some, i have found suitable size twist locks and cloths prop tops, it is a matter of getting some steel  tube  4  x 1/2 inch x 2 feet long   4  x 5/8 inch x 2 feet long   4  x 3/4 inch x 2 feet long ??? or in Metric ? that would slide in each section. ANY IDEA PW MEMBERS?????

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

5 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, i have trawled the internet and can only find two part poles, i have an idea to make some, i have found suitable size twist locks and cloths prop tops, it is a matter of getting some steel or ally tube, 2 x 1/2 inch x 2 feet long    2 x 5/8 inch x 2 feet long   2 x 3/4 inch x 2 feet long 

Hi ......... HIDENSEEK had one that he bought a while back but I have never seen a set at the different game fairs I have been to over the years , so maybe a one man band or a small company made a few sets and they didn't make that many ?

If someone did try and make a three section pole , what about if the first section that went into the ground was two feet length of 3/8 th reinforce rod with the kick plate welded on say 6/7 inches from the bottom so it could take a bit of stick and then the other two sections were in alloy to keep the weight down to a minimum .

Maybe one of these cheap linen line props could be cut down and then the bit of reinforce rod could be inserted in the inside of the smaller one to make it into a three piece rod ? 

I am sure someone like Ditchman could knock one up in no time , and who knows he could end up a very rich man , although he might already be one .:hmm:

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Hi ......... HIDENSEEK had one that he bought a while back but I have never seen a set at the different game fairs I have been to over the years , so maybe a one man band or a small company made a few sets and they didn't make that many ?

If someone did try and make a three section pole , what about if the first section that went into the ground was two feet length of 3/8 th reinforce rod with the kick plate welded on say 6/7 inches from the bottom so it could take a bit of stick and then the other two sections were in alloy to keep the weight down to a minimum .

Maybe one of these cheap linen line props could be cut down and then the bit of reinforce rod could be inserted in the inside of the smaller one to make it into a three piece rod ? 

I am sure someone like Ditchman could knock one up in no time , and who knows he could end up a very rich man , although he might already be one .:hmm:

hello, thanks to reply,  i had a PM from Dave aka tightchoke and looking at this project, maybe HIDENSEEK might see this and let us know some details ? cheers 

I picked up 4 washing line poles, telescopic up to around 6 feet, same top clips and height adjustment as the normal hide poles, I cut the bottoms off and inserted some steel rod which I riveted in place with a sharp point at the business end, then clamped on a couple of jubilee clips at foot peg height , just enough to get the edge of my boot on so I could tread them in, then a coat of green paint to finish, total cost was around 12 pounds !!

They are still going strong and great on soft ground but like all poles are hard work on baked summer ground, I always carry a large steel spike and hammer in summer to pre drill the holes.

My first set were 4 6ft garden canes with slots in the top to hold the net, a bit basic but they did the job ( most of the time )

13 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, thanks to reply,  i had a PM from Dave aka tightchoke and looking at this project, maybe HIDENSEEK might see this and let us know some details ? cheers 

I'll have a measure up and post the diameters later, and IF I can manage it, a picture.