WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST CAR.

lancer425

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, old'un said:

Recon engine.

THANKS old'un ....... I bought that car in 1969 / 70 while I was still learning to drive , I had two lessons a week at 30s/0d ( £1.50p ) a lesson and the instructor put me in for the test after four weeks and I passed first time two weeks later , on the test day I had a lesson first that was identical to the test an hour later.

Now after all those years, and with me thinking I had an engine in my first motor that was more or less made of gold you brought me back down to earth telling me it was reconditioned .:hmm:

Land Rover series III owned previously by coal board and used in an open cast mine since then I have only had defenders of some sort or another

I had a lad a niva / Cossack for a couple of month whilst waiting for a defender to become available

Two door sports coupe 

well a 

morris 1000 pick up 

Bought it as a trade in from a local garage for £25 delivered with a good engine and gearbox 

l spent a happy week of eavenings and learned a lot fitting a new clutch 

100000 on the clock when I bought it and another 100000 when it died 

happy days 😊😊

42 minutes ago, marsh man said:

THANKS old'un ....... I bought that car in 1969 / 70 while I was still learning to drive , I had two lessons a week at 30s/0d ( £1.50p ) a lesson and the instructor put me in for the test after four weeks and I passed first time two weeks later , on the test day I had a lesson first that was identical to the test an hour later.

Now after all those years, and with me thinking I had an engine in my first motor that was more or less made of gold you brought me back down to earth telling me it was reconditioned .:hmm:

Blimey, that almost mirrors my learning and passing my test first time 1970, my uncle gave me is old 1962 mini 850cc, it was rubbish but it got me on the road, kept for 6 months and then brought a Ford Anglia 1200 deluxe  from a local bombsite garage for £30, had that for about two years and then sold it for £30.

In the day you would be surprised at the number of gold seal engines that went into cars, my mate fitted one to his Cortina Mk 1.

E83W Ford van, in a tasteful matt green, which when washed off was sign written J.A.Prestwich, yes the J.A.P of racing engine’s fame.

Van cost £5:00 and a battery was another £3:00 if l remember correctly, drove it around for sometime until someone nicked it

Just looked at the going price of one 😳

1981 Mk1 golf gti. Bought from a scrap yard with no engine but good bodywork when I was 16. Engine and gearbox bought the following year and fitted by me over the summer amongst other things. Dad put it through an mot for me as a present for passing my test and I promptly drove it into a wall a few days later. My friend bought it off me as his project car for college and he did a first class job of restoring it and still owns it over 20 years later. 

Datsun Violet 140J

Owned by my grandfather from new and kept in immaculate condition. Garaged, wiped down if it had been out in the rain, undersealed and meticulously maintained......then I got it.

Had it almost a year before crashing it. Repaired it and it was still very tidy indeed when I eventually sold it and moved on to practically buying a car every week or so just because I could.

Some were very good, some not so.

I don't see many youngsters these days doing anything like that. They all seem to have new or nearly new on finance.

Edd

This is going to date me. A 1954 MG Magnette ZA bought in around 1967 for £120 if I remember correctly. I wanted a MGA twin cam, but army wages at the time wouldnt run to the extra cost. Wish I still had it; would be worth a tad more than I paid for it.

Mine was a 1970 Hillman Avenger 1500 super, my fathers hand me down when he'd had enough of it.  Family 1st car a 1967 Morris 1100 as we had bike and sidecars for donkeys years.  That little car took me my best friend and mother and father with full camping equipment through France over Switzerland and down to Pescara in Italy our average speed was 50mph when we got back it had to have a de-coke...those were the days.

MM 

Magenta 1974 Triumph Spitfire.

It should have been the 1300cc but after it spat out its bottom end I discovered it was in fact a 1500cc.

Carried out a light restoration and had it resprayed in Ferrari Rosso red..... never did get the hardtop or even the soft top to fit, got wet more than a few times with just the tonneau cover

PVG386M, are you still alive ?????

Edited by Jaymo

First was one of these, an E93A. Then tried to convert it to one of these,,a Rochdale GT. Two years later and much messing about gave up and bought a 105E Anglia. Did anyone else fit an alloy head and twin SU carbs to a Pop 1172 motor or was it just me.

http://www.fordspecials.co.uk/aquaplane.html

Ford Pop..jpg

Classic-Rochdale-GT-with-Ford-1172cc-side-valve.jpg

Edited by Velocette
addition.