prototype willow duck nest tube

islandgun

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Are you using osier viminalis or salix triandra for the weaving? The former grows fastest (up to 14' a year) but the latter is more flexible (black maul). Need to learn the 3 rod wale but think making a lighter base would help

Viminalis on this but have about 10 varieties,  I started with vimanalis cuttings about 20 yrs ago for windbreaks and every year stuck more cuttings in the ground when i felt like it, got about 2 acres around the house, Im also making bird feeders at the moment which i start with the three rod wale then reduce to 2 after ive been round once

Curious as to why mine was so brittle. Only have 8 varieties here but the viminalis is the king of massive growth. Planted 100 cuttings yesterday for the hell of it. The triandra is prettier, though. Violet willow hasn't done as well as hoped but maybe I should plant some in a damper spot (of which there is no shortage - hence the pond!)

Did you do a course for the basketry or just learn from videos?

2 hours ago, spandit said:

Curious as to why mine was so brittle. Only have 8 varieties here but the viminalis is the king of massive growth. Planted 100 cuttings yesterday for the hell of it. The triandra is prettier, though. Violet willow hasn't done as well as hoped but maybe I should plant some in a damper spot (of which there is no shortage - hence the pond!)

Did you do a course for the basketry or just learn from videos?

cant imagine why the viminalis should be brittle.Im sure your using this years growth so maybe it could be the result of a dry season.  Ive recently read that partially dry rods are the best ! . perhaps dry and then soak.. I did a one to one course with a lady in Devon and made a proper lobster pot in a day, otherwise, books and utube.. just a hobby but  I find it really interesting to make a practical thing out of sticks