Best 4X4

Joshcup11

Hi all. 

Looking for advice

i have a 5-6000£ budget. I’m looking for a 4X4 that’s capable of towing up to 3.5 tonne. Capable of ferrying me off lamping at night but nice enough to drive every day 30 odd miles to work and back, (up to Scotland twice a year) 

any reccomendations chaps? 

Navara’s? L200’s? Disco 3’a even? Maybe X5’s of a certain age etc.

all info appreciated!!

josh

Towing 3.5 ton with any pickup you will need a bit of weight over the back. Don't think all are rated to that level so worth checking.

Landcruiser is a good vehicle but your budget you will be looking at some high milers.

Edited by figgy

I would say toyota land cruiser 6 cylinder diesel but at your budget it will be an old one, so you want the closest thing to a Toyota landcruiser you can get yet getting a 4x4 thats not too long in the tooth. I think in your budget your best option would be a Nissan Patrol  DI 6  A 3.0 litre around 2008 . The Patrol has power presence comfort and will do all you want from a 4x4. No horror stories with these vehicles they are tough reliable and comfortable, the axles transmission and engine are well up to the tasks you you have in mind, and i think you would love it the engines are a dream smooth and reliable like only a straight six diesel can be. 

Any of this stuff above is going to be expensive to run. If your budget is £5-6k then its going to be an old vehicle and then to start towing 3.5 ton is going to test even a new vehicle. Running costs (fuel) is going to painful. I would be asking myself do I really need such a spec or is there another way to tackle the problem. 

4 minutes ago, oowee said:

Any of this stuff above is going to be expensive to run. If your budget is £5-6k then its going to be an old vehicle and then to start towing 3.5 ton is going to test even a new vehicle. Running costs (fuel) is going to painful. I would be asking myself do I really need such a spec or is there another way to tackle the problem. 

The 3.5 tonne was a exaggeration, I rarely need to tow that weight but it’s handy to be able too when neeeded, most of the towing is the better half’s horse, straw runs with the odd exception of picking a car up 

cheersjosh 

That budget will buy a reasonable l200 B40 I think it’s 2.7t towing wise and no problem without weight in the back.  Reasonable economy, and you don’t get hit for £500 road tax like most of the conventional 4x4’s in that price bracket

9 hours ago, al4x said:

That budget will buy a reasonable l200 B40 I think it’s 2.7t towing wise and no problem without weight in the back.  Reasonable economy, and you don’t get hit for £500 road tax like most of the conventional 4x4’s in that price bracket

Whys that? What’s so different about their tax? 

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Ive a 20yr old Landcruiser Colorado [suffering with rust..]  140.000 and not a drop of leaking oil. Landcruisers are the most popular 4x4 in Australia 

You can not beat Toyotas with Nissan and Daihatsu following on behind , its a shame Daihatsu stopped making the fourtrak it would have been interesting to see how a modern version of that would have turned out.

15 minutes ago, Fen tiger said:

You can not beat Toyotas with Nissan and Daihatsu following on behind , its a shame Daihatsu stopped making the fourtrak it would have been interesting to see how a modern version of that would have turned out.

Aye a new fourtrak would be an awesome beast, you sometimes see them turn up with low miles and big money,, My choice for the OP would be a SWB Colorado.. mines a LWB and in its past spent too much time in the sea with a boat trailer, but the engine is superb !

Boat launching killed more than a few of the Japanese 4x4s , the Fourtraks themselves were a relatively cheap 4x4 back in the day, and many of those were used for boat launching and suffered from rot due to this.  I had a 1984 fourtrak 2.8 dl turbo in 2003 until 2012 it was solid no rot in the typical places inner rear wheel arches , they were like new chassis was solid and was on leaf springs back and front, perfect workhorse doubling as shooting bus .