Best 4X4

Joshcup11

Consider carefully if you genuinely need to be 3.5t legal, there are many more options if you drop down a tad. Also pickups have certain significant tax benefits if you have the ability to stick it through a business. A single horse and straw runs may well be viable on a 2t limit  

We use an old disco to tow and run a hatchback for everything else. 

Our box is 1250kg empty, add 650kg of horse and a 10kg haynet for the journey and we are nicely under 2t. Likewise big rounds of haylage around here are allegedly around the 600kg mark (though I suspect rather a lot of variation depending how damp and how the baker is set).

Edited by Wb123

On 18/03/2019 at 22:23, B B said:

I would say toyota land cruiser 6 cylinder diesel but at your budget it will be an old one, so you want the closest thing to a Toyota landcruiser you can get yet getting a 4x4 thats not too long in the tooth. I think in your budget your best option would be a Nissan Patrol  DI 6  A 3.0 litre around 2008 . The Patrol has power presence comfort and will do all you want from a 4x4. No horror stories with these vehicles they are tough reliable and comfortable, the axles transmission and engine are well up to the tasks you you have in mind, and i think you would love it the engines are a dream smooth and reliable like only a straight six diesel can be. 

£5000 with 70.000 on the clock... Autotrader

1654693461_694310a965694a5eb388504ac648d051(1).jpg.126a58df15d5bc116d24f19b70243b53.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 20/03/2019 at 20:01, GingerCat said:

Kia Sorrento? Neighbours love there's and they tow a massive horse trailer about the place. I thought he'd get it stuck in the muddy field a while back but it just carried on without issue. You'll get a good one at that budget if you look about. 

Can't be that massive as Kia Sorento are only rated at 2.5 tons.

I would seriously consider your need to tow 3.5 tons as with the budget you have you will obviously be looking at an older vehicle and until recently it was mainly the Land Rover products and the Porsche Cayenne that could tow 3.5 tons. Most of the pick ups have only recently been upgraded to between 3 and 3.5 tons, for example the Mitsubishi L200 was only changed to 3.5 tons in 2018. 2011 Toyota HiLux only had 2.5 ton capacity. So it would be worth doing your homework.

On 20/03/2019 at 16:38, B B said:

:good: Thats the type Proper 4x4 a nice 6 cylinder without being 4.2 litre as in the Land cruiser amazons .

o4 plate 3.0 turbo diesel will chip up to 190 bhp 400 nm torque with no worrys still got mine best towing machine with 100% reliability had mine 15 yrs

• 1 month later...