fac licence

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Firearms officer called today and said the  only problem with issuing my first FAC licence was I did not have any one to say i was gun safe .Offered to join a club in Kent he replied would not still get as as not used around my perm. Have held shotgun licence for over ten years

Are you going to challenge his decision?

4 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Firearms officer called today and said the  only problem with issuing my first FAC licence was I did not have any one to say i was gun safe .Offered to join a club in Kent he replied would not still get as as not used around my perm. Have held shotgun licence for over ten years

I’ve never had anyone say I was gun safe; I’ve had numerous referees, but none have ever seen me shoot.

Ask for clarification and take it from there. 

10 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Just left BASC  and joined Gunplan do they cover this

I doubt it; it’s just shooting insurance as far as I know. 

If you have land to shoot over then you have ‘good reason’, which is all that is required.

Could you get a signed letter from the landowner, saying he knows you to be safe and has given you permission to shoot on his land?

Will contact Gunplan tomorrow and have sent a email to FEO asking for some clarification. 

The FEO as contacted the farm manager and he fully surpports my application and the farm is passed for firearms . The  FEO wanted some one to say i was safe  and put it in a letter but both the firearms boys have moved away and thats why i was applying for my ticket.

If you do not know anybody who holds a FAC that could mentor you for a few outings throw it back on the FLO & ask him if he can recommend somebody he knows that could take you out, I know it’s not law that you require mentoring but put yourself in the FLO’s boots, would you give someone who has never handled a rifle a .223 or 243?

Edited by blackbird

You need to familiarise yourself with the Home Office Guidelines and put a well worded letter together stating your case and highlighting the deficiencies in your FLO’s reasoning.  I wouldn’t baulk at copying in the Professional Standards Department (or whatever they call themselves now) and the Chief Constable.  It worked for me a few years ago when I had a grievance with my Firearms Department.  These idiots need putting back in their box.

Good luck,

Tim

16 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Just left BASC  and joined Gunplan do they cover this

So you left the leading (not for profit) shooting organisation with a large firearms advice department and bought a cheap no-frills insurance product from a commercial outfit that provides no advice whatsoever. You get what you pay for, I am afraid.

Edited by stagboy

3 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

The land is near the hope farm in kent and both the old guys had open tickets  but have moved. One may have died  the farm will give permission to any one with a open ticket as i am allowed to take any one with me at any time.

Then you may be better off putting an offer of shooting in return for some mentoring in the Shooting Opportunities Section for any one local with an open ticket.

Good luck.