fac licence

The menotoring thing has been removed now as part of guidance. Speak to BASC. Do not withdraw application. Ask for answers in writing as to why you need someone to vouch for your safety (you already have references for good character) and ask where has the requirement come from. He is trying it on. You have a need, a permission and a sensible starting caliber.  I would be already penning my complaint to the PCC. 

Edited by oowee
repetition

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, oowee said:

The menotoring thing has been removed now as part of guidance. Speak to BASC. Do not withdraw application. Ask for answers in writing as to why you need someone to vouch for your safety (you already have references for good character) and ask where has the requirement come from. He is trying it on. You have a need, a permission and a sensible starting caliber.  I would be already penning my complaint to the PCC. 

Good advice! Ask for his reasons in writing, and if he asks why just tell him your legal advice team have requested it. 🙂

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Yes .

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Good advice! Ask for his reasons in writing, and if he asks why just tell him your legal advice team have requested it. 🙂

And yes.

Dont be bullied.

Thanks guys have spoken to BASC they have told me to complain  to a higher police office . The FEO that turned me down as he  emailed me to say he is suspicious of me this is because of me stating that i had only fired a few firearm rounds since leaving to TA many years ago and the farm manager is pleased with me shooting on his land. With a shotgun and could he vouch for me the FEO emailed me back stating NO as he does not have a firearms licence .

As above I would be asking (formally, in a letter) for the wording of the refusal so you can get started on the appeal as your considered view is a refusal as communicated has no basis in law or guidance.  

Copy to the licensing manager, PCC and BASC.

Await FAC to fall onto door mat.

2 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

Thanks guys have spoken to BASC they have told me to complain  to a higher police office . The FEO that turned me down as he  emailed me to say he is suspicious of me this is because of me stating that i had only fired a few firearm rounds since leaving to TA many years ago and the farm manager is pleased with me shooting on his land. With a shotgun and could he vouch for me the FEO emailed me back stating NO as he does not have a firearms licence . 

Wait - the FEO actually used the word suspicious in written communication? or was that the sentiment of the email?

1 hour ago, bottletopbill said:

The FEO email states i SEE THE FARMER COULD TESTIFY YOU HAVE SHOOTING FOR YEARS, YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD NOT SHOT FOR YEARS SO I am starting to become slightly suspicious. 

I would point out to him that using a shotgun is also 'shooting' and the fact you had weapons training in the TA , one does not 'forget' safe handling of firearms.

Sounds a lovely fella thIs FEO.

The man is clearly devoid of any critical thinking. As Rewulf pointed out the intention of your communication is clear and refers to your years shotgun shooting. 

I would also be asking him to outline his suspicions in full and precise language and tack it into your complaint letter. 

18 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

Sorry still a member of Basc as well as gun plan 

So why are BASC asking you to complain to a higher officer when you one of their members who is  paying good money for representation shouldn't they 

18 hours ago, stagboy said:

So you left the leading (not for profit) shooting organisation with a large firearms advice department and bought a cheap no-frills insurance product from a commercial outfit that provides no advice whatsoever. You get what you pay for, I am afraid.

be making a phone call on your behalf.  I think is why some members have left   

Edited by Rim Fire

When I applied I had the same issue regarding ( mentoring ) I was in BASC spoke to the firearms legal dep & asked if it was possible for them to phone my FLO to have more clout behind my case, they just did not want to know, that was the last penny that BASC were having from me after many many years of being a member.

Edited by blackbird

Thing is with some of these orgs such as BASC they are barely proactive on shooting issues and certainly being less reactive with individual issues like what’s happened here. Time and again I’m seeing “they told me to pay”, “don’t rock the boat”, “we can’t go any further with this” etc etc... I’m glad I’m not wasting my money for advice or legal that never materialises! 

Would it be possible for every one on pw to form a group like BASC  and get our feelings felt. Plus get a discount on  insurance and other cost as  we all seem to be getting nothing in return for our fees. As i amazed our at times you guys have come together to help each other that shows PW is great.l 

So, the usual suspects among the anti-BASC brigade are out again. Meanwhile, BASC has grown to a record 150,000 members over recent years. It's not a perfect organisation, of course (and I've had my own issues with it over the years) but it is clearly much more successful than the others, some of which have been losing members for some years now, and all of whom are tiny compared with BASC. The market seems to be voting with its wallet. And many members have had some very good service from the BASC firearms team (I know I have - and they also saved a friend's certificate). GunPlan doesn't even have a firearms advice team.

Look, there is an organisation for everybody - so choose one that suits. Rant and rail if you like, but the BASC membership growth figures speak for themselves. Nobody is forced to join BASC. There are plenty of alternatives.  But joining a shooting org - any shooting org -  must better than being a cheapskate freeloader and buying bargain-basement shooting insurance from a commercial insurance supplier, thereby simply putting money into the pockets of commercial shareholders who might even be anti-shooting.  

Edited by stagboy

On 19/03/2019 at 14:06, oowee said:

Do you have a link to the info on the mentoring thing? , i can't find anything online and have not heard about it

Thanks

8 hours ago, stagboy said:

So, the usual suspects among the anti-BASC brigade are out again. Meanwhile, BASC has grown to a record 150,000 members over recent years. It's not a perfect organisation, of course (and I've had my own issues with it over the years) but it is clearly much more successful than the others, some of which have been losing members for some years now, and all of whom are tiny compared with BASC. The market seems to be voting with its wallet. And many members have had some very good service from the BASC firearms team (I know I have - and they also saved a friend's certificate). GunPlan doesn't even have a firearms advice team.

Look, there is an organisation for everybody - so choose one that suits. Rant and rail if you like, but the BASC membership growth figures speak for themselves. Nobody is forced to join BASC. There are plenty of alternatives.  But joining a shooting org - any shooting org -  must better than being a cheapskate freeloader and buying bargain-basement shooting insurance from a commercial insurance supplier, thereby simply putting money into the pockets of commercial shareholders who might even be anti-shooting.  

I don't see it as being a cheapskate freeloader; you pays your money you takes your chance. Each to their own.