Gun Auctions

Trenta

Hi guys, I keep seeing videos on you tube referring to gun auctions and being able to pick up second hand shotguns there.  I have done a search online, but not had much joy in finding them - can anyone point me in the right direction for these?  I am based in Surrey, but I guess they would have online options as well?

Thanks in advance

Trent

50 minutes ago, zipdog said:

I went to one once, got really excited about it, turned out to full of **** and everything when for mega money. 

Havent been to another one since,

I found this with my local auction. You do have to sift the wheat from the carp. I bought my Brno Mod 2 at auction for the princely sum of £18 inc commission. That was a good buy and has made for a lovely project gun. All the other stuff is either good but fetched very good prices or rubbish fetching ...........good but silly prices.

Dont forget the auctions are where the trade dumps stuff they either cant or wont sell in their shops .

Be very careful , remember as long as its in proof then they can sell it , but no guarantee and no come back.

Yes you can get a bargain but you can also get stung .

Remember commission on to of hammer price can add up .

Edited by Gunman

3 hours ago, Gunman said:

Dont forget the auctions are where the trade dumps stuff they either cant or wont sell in their shops .

Be very careful , remember as long as its in proof then they can sell it , but no guarantee and no come back.

Wise words indeed. Unless you are pretty clued up on what to check for you can catch a terrible red herring at the cheaper auction houses.

Salisbury this saturday.

I like buying spring airguns tbh, gives me projects as you can guarantee they are screwed. Tho ive had 3 shotguns and all have been faultless. 

Only problem i find is all the unlicensed fools bidding on airguns which ive seen go over retail (new). Great if your a seller, ******* annoying when chasing a bargain. 

On another note, ive seen dozens of sxs go for a pound. Watched a aya yeoman go for a fiver. The stocks worth that alone. 

Gunman is right, 80% is unwanted/unsellable stock. Just have a good look first and take your time deciding 

1553030325818.jpg

Bought a few at auctions, some bargains, some surprises and some scrappers. Try to get to a viewing day if possible ( I got in trouble once for field stripping an M37 at a viewing but saved myself a lot of money as it was not what it appeared to be or was presented as)

I`ve put commision bids in on a few things online and tbh the lots have made far more than you could sensibly value them at imho.

I think there are people bidding without allowing for the cost of rectifying the known defects,never mind any surprise ones

Caveat Emptor!

Holts : lots of very nice (and expensive) items, some cheaper

Gavin Gardiner : Same as Holts, but even fewer of the cheaper items !

Scotarms : I've been to one of their sales, and the amount of (what should be) scrap metal being sold is terrifying.

Plenty of others too

However, I will say that you won't find many bargains at the auctions. 25% fees on top of the hammer price means that a cheap gun suddenly isn't.

You're almost certainly better off buying from a private seller, if at all possible.

Edited by robbiep

2 hours ago, robbiep said:

However, I will say that you won't find many bargains at the auctions. 25% fees on top of the hammer price means that a cheap gun suddenly isn't.

You're almost certainly better off buying from a private seller, if at all possible.

Tbh I would agree with this. I was lucky with my 22RF in that it was a steal. I know of an AYA sxs going for £50 privately. Thats got to be worth look 🤔