STEEL ? TUBING TO MAKE A 3 SECTION TELESCOPIC POLES

oldypigeonpopper

hello, seeing the post on hide poles and a suggestion of a 3 section pole  any PW member know where i can source the above, must fit together as telescopic, i have sourced some tube twist locks for 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch  O/D tube and 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch O/D tube, ANY HELP APPRECIATED contact via PM, CHEERS  

I am intrigued by theses posts about 'posts'

how strong do they have to be?

what weight do they have to carry?

what length do they need to be?

i only ask as I made a telescopic pole to use out on site for measuring heights of objects.( car park lights etc) It was made of plastic conduit and Electrical compression glands and cost a couple of quid in bits

I once sourced some aluminium tubing around 1. 3/4"  diameter to make some lofting poles. I then had to source some tubing or solid rod to make the ferrules. By the time I had finished, with all of the running around, it cost me almost double the cost of buying the ready made item   !    😄    We live and supposedly learn  !

1 hour ago, Diver One said:

I am intrigued by theses posts about 'posts'

how strong do they have to be?

what weight do they have to carry?

what length do they need to be?

i only ask as I made a telescopic pole to use out on site for measuring heights of objects.( car park lights etc) It was made of plastic conduit and Electrical compression glands and cost a couple of quid in bits

hello, i am looking to make some 3 section hide poles as all seem to be 2 , it was a a recent post where a PW member wanted some that were telescopic down to 2ft ? going up to 6ft, that could be fitted in a bag and easier to carry, so i thought why not try and make some, me being a oldy retired handyman,  steel tube is stronger and cheaper, as a project to start with, 1/2 inch OD top 5/8 inch middle 3/4 bottom pole but need to fit internally,  only a camo net, thanks to reply with your diy project  

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

hello TT i phoned them and no joy or other local suppliers, i found these, METALS FOR U and they stock ally/stainless/and steel tubing and cut to size, i phoned to ask what steel tubing i can buy that could be made telescopic so trying to work out sizes, could you have a look on their web site and see if you think what might work ???  not one for metric !!!!!!. cheers 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

7 minutes ago, SPARKIE said:

Why not use fibreglass tent poles the type with the elastic inside that just fold out.

hello, thanks will take a look, cheers

19 minutes ago, mellors said:

I have a set. I'm sure they were pinewood. DSC_0663.JPG.d4644928a8b7c8be0bdbcb6eb8b6ffa8.JPG

hello, thanks to reply, they are pinewood 3ft to 6 ft 3 section £95 for 4 , cheers

I used at one time a cheap telescopic fishing pole with I think it was with the top 2 or 3 sections removed to make it stiff enough to handle a coy, eypoxed  a hook into the top section for the coy.

Closed down well and light , just had to make sure the joints were tight when out, think I whipped a little thread around the joints for extra safety against splitting  and cracking .