49years and 363days old / 50 years and 1 day

mgsontour

Hi everyone, just been thinking 50years old is a milestone in life and always see references in the media for life plans etc for the over 50's, medical insurance for the over 50's etc etc. . . . my question is to take advantage financially of this event. . . what can you put in place by means of opening an account or joining something at 49 BEFORE your 50th birthday which would be excluded thereafter and also what can you open/join the day after your birthday which is not on offer until you reach 50? Thanks in advance and look forward to the thread

just spend the damn stuff..............when it matures we will be up to our necks in foreign plastic and burnt to death due to either global warning...or nuclear warfare............or cough our guts up breathing carbon monoxide......or methane from cows bottoms...........or splashing novichoc all over us like aftershave..........

number of folk i know who needed to go back to work cause their investments went breasts up..............

spend it..................

Income protection, life assurance, private health cover etc all are often cheaper to take a long term plan out before 50.

my understanding is that historically many underwriters wouldn’t accept new policies for over 50s so marketing policies for the over 50s in particular was a way to stand out. 

That said if you didn’t want those things already why do you want them tomorrow?

30 minutes ago, ditchman said:

just spend the damn stuff..............when it matures we will be up to our necks in foreign plastic and burnt to death due to either global warning...or nuclear warfare............or cough our guts up breathing carbon monoxide......or methane from cows bottoms...........or splashing novichoc all over us like aftershave..........

number of folk i know who needed to go back to work cause their investments went breasts up..............

Brilliant! 

No one gets out alive - Get it spent !

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Jesus wept dont hold back 😂

22 hours ago, Saltings said:

spend a bit  save a bit  enjoy a bit  they don't put drawers in coffins if you want to invest put your money into property 

Only the one you own. Balance is everything rather than all in one basket.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2958803/Cash-stocks-property-best-returns-past-30-years.html

1st thing i did when i turned 50 was get me and the wife's funerals paid for.Nowt flash,just the CO OP once paid & done thing.Now 56 but i review my will every couple of years.Mortgage has been paid off since 1991 so young Ben should have a decent start in life.

He's already been told to get something put in place if he marries to protect his inheritance.

28 minutes ago, oowee said:

Only the one you own. Balance is everything rather than all in one basket.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/investing/article-2958803/Cash-stocks-property-best-returns-past-30-years.html

The thing is that that article doesn’t take account of the leverage that comes with a mortgage.

The example given is a house bought for £100,000 becomes worth £200,000 and so the gain is £100,000 but that’s not what people do in a rising market.

£100,000 would allow you to buy 4 x £100,000 properties each with £25,000 deposit down and a £75,000 mortgage on each property. 

If property goes up 100% in value then you make £400,000, not £100,000.

Yep but minus Capital gains tax, stamp duty acquisition costs, higher interest on the mortgage, risk on the rentals, and tax on the income. You can get most of the advantages in non resi through a reit (distribution facilities doctors surgeries surgeries) .  But I agree with the principle.