New shooter in Bedfordshire needs help!

Hi All,

I am a new shooter based in central  Bedfordshire. I have been shooting clays for just over a year and at this point am 95% self taught. I’m loving my new hobby, however being a young (20) first generation shooter is proving to have its challenges. I felt slightly too inexperienced  to get myself onto a game shoot last season, however I am hoping to get myself onto a game shoot or 2 next year. 

Only issue with this, and this is a bit of a confession on this forum, I’ve never killed anything.

The thought of it doesn’t bother me and morally I have no problem with doing it, however I am well aware that a shoot field is not the place to suddenly discover that I dislike shooting game. 

Are there any shooters in the area who would take me out to shoot a few wood pigeons of an afternoon? I think pigeons would be a much safer way to get myself into game shooting, and would highly highly appreciate if there is anyone who would give me a hand with that.

look forward to hear from you. Many thanks.

Tom

Welcome to the Forum Tom.

I shoot Clays only or at least I aim at them when they launch so can't be of much help but thought I would reply to your post as know one has as yet.

Regarding getting into a shoot it seems the concensus is to get yourself into beating first and at least you'll get up close to the Killing side to see if that something you could live with.

Regarding getting someone to take you out I'm afraid that line is a long one.

I assume you have a certificate and your own Gun ?

Good luck :)

Hi Snoozer,

Thanks for the reply!

yep got my Certificate. I currently have 2 some what cheap guns while I’m starting out. A sporty 12G over under (a Spanish import) and an old English style side by side game gun 😊

47 minutes ago, Snoozer said:

Welcome to the Forum Tom.

I shoot Clays only or at least I aim at them when they launch so can't be of much help but thought I would reply to your post as know one has as yet.

Regarding getting into a shoot it seems the concensus is to get yourself into beating first and at least you'll get up close to the Killing side to see if that something you could live with.

Regarding getting someone to take you out I'm afraid that line is a long one.

I assume you have a certificate and your own Gun ?

Good luck

Hi Snoozer,

Thanks for the reply!

yep got my Certificate. I currently have 2 some what cheap guns while I’m starting out. A sporty 12G over under (a Spanish import) and an old English style side by side game gun 😊

12 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, as Snoozer mentioned get your self some beating ?, i was lucky to be asked last year by a kind PW member to join their beating team on a nice shoot and friendly people, looking forward to this coming season. cheers

Hi!

anyone you could maybe recommend locally?

Tom

9 minutes ago, B98 said:

Hi Snoozer,

Thanks for the reply!

yep got my Certificate. I currently have 2 some what cheap guns while I’m starting out. A sporty 12G over under (a Spanish import) and an old English style side by side game gun 😊

Hi Snoozer,

Thanks for the reply!

yep got my Certificate. I currently have 2 some what cheap guns while I’m starting out. A sporty 12G over under (a Spanish import) and an old English style side by side game gun 😊

Hi!

anyone you could maybe recommend locally?

Tom

hello Tom, there is a section on PW,  beating and shooting wanted, just put your own on in the area you live and see what happens, 

• 2 weeks later...