First time shotgun application

Hudson12

I’ve applied for my ticket and today I received an email stating that my application has been passed to my local feo and that I have to fill in a questionnaire and hand it to them at the interview regarding who Lives in our house (my wife and two children).Does this mean things are looking good regarding my application and I have passed to the next stage.Or is it common practice that everyone gets the interview whether you get the ticket or not.Reason for asking is I some 18years ago had a few run ins with the law I’ve been open and honest about these matters and have since seen the error of my ways settling down with two children and a wife ect.Just hoping the passed can be left where it belongs in the past what’s everyone’s views ?

Think it can be standard practice with some forces. It's to see who's in the house who could potentially access firearms.

It's simple risk assessment. If people in your house are generally good guys and law abiding,  the likelihood of them looking for cabinet keys and then accessing guns to use for criminal use is negligible. 

However,  if you've got a relative in the house who's a mentalist with criminal intent, the police won't be happy to have guns there. Even though you are the keyholder and only one with access to the guns. The risk is too great.

You should be fine. Unless your 'run ins with the law' 18 years ago are more serious than you allude too. 

Would recommend joining BASC or similar to offer help and advice if you need.

Best of luck though

I should also mention, last FAC and SGC renewal,  the Police where more interested in speaking to my wife about me, than me.

Think they where sussing out my character and if there was any hint of domestic abuse. 

11 minutes ago, Hudson12 said:

Thanks for the replies folks the bother I had was a few fights as a young drunken idiot when younger and to answer the other  questions is yes I’m a member of a clay gun club and also a member of BASC and GWTC 

If that was all the bother you got into 18yrs ago you will be perfectly fine 

On 20/03/2019 at 11:04, Hudson12 said:

Thanks for the replies folks the bother I had was a few fights as a young drunken idiot when younger and to answer the other  questions is yes I’m a member of a clay gun club and also a member of BASC and GWTC 

And if you regard it as young stupidity and have changed you should have no problem.

Be honest, don't hide anything and look forward to getting your SGC granted.

Good luck.

I’m thinking about applying but I have an assault to injury charge 5 years ago and 2 cautions for resisting to leave nightclub also 5 years ago. Would I stand a chance getting my shotgun licence for clay pigeon shooting I have been doing it for the past year but being put off applying because I thought it was 10 years since last conviction? 

4 minutes ago, Jonathon said:

I’m thinking about applying but I have an assault to injury charge 5 years ago and 2 cautions for resisting to leave nightclub also 5 years ago. Would I stand a chance getting my shotgun licence for clay pigeon shooting I have been doing it for the past year but being put off applying because I thought it was 10 years since last conviction? 

How long ago it was has no bearing on whether you have to reveal it or not.
Admit and write down everything you have convictions or cautions for, if you nicked someone pushbike when you were 12 and the police spoke to you about it, its highly likely theres a record of it.
Quite often NOT coming clean is worse than the actual conviction itself, be honest.

Im not sure what assault to injury means, being charged and being convicted of something are 2 different things, cautions are convictions technically, and it all depends on the circumstances.
I would say , if you kicked 10 bells out of someone 5 years ago, and were convicted of it, its not looking good.

I was convicted of it. I got a £100 fine. I was going to write down it all but wasn’t sure if there was a rule as to how long u must be on good behaviour after as I haven’t had anything for 5 years and nothing before that either. I read on an other forum it’s best to wait 10years after being convicted of anything before you apply. Just wondered if anyone else had similar circumstances.

1 minute ago, Jonathon said:

I was convicted of it. I got a £100 fine. I was going to write down it all but wasn’t sure if there was a rule as to how long u must be on good behaviour after as I haven’t had anything for 5 years and nothing before that either. I read on an other forum it’s best to wait 10years after being convicted of anything before you apply. Just wondered if anyone else had similar circumstances.

The fact you only got £100 fine sounds like it wasnt too serious.
How old are you out of interest ? A stable life, job , partner ect helps.

2 hours ago, Jonathon said:

I’m 30 self employed I have 2 catering businesses. In long term relationship not married yet and own my own home. 

You sound good to go to me.
Just make sure you dont leave anything out from your record, deliberately withholding , or lying when they ask you specific questions about arrests, charges or convictions is a sure fire way to get refused.
If you are unsure, say you cant remember, getting a disclosure from the police is a good idea, and costs a tenner.

Good luck.

24 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

You sound good to go to me.
Just make sure you dont leave anything out from your record, deliberately withholding , or lying when they ask you specific questions about arrests, charges or convictions is a sure fire way to get refused.
If you are unsure, say you cant remember, getting a disclosure from the police is a good idea, and costs a tenner.

Good luck.

Thank you il post an update once I find out.

Well folks just received a phone call this morning the feo is coming around Wednesday for a chat anything I need to know before comes on another note he won’t be inspecting a cabinet as although I’ve got one I’m not actually wanting to own my own gun yet just be legal to use a borrowed gun from time to time I put this in the appplication after speaking with BASC they thought it was a better idea actually stating this fact and in the future I would just need a cabinet inspection if required