Usb memory stick

30-6

Some time ago there was a load came in that were very cheap 16gb & 32gb. It turned out they had a programme installed that made it look as if they were taking the full memory but when it came to retreiving all the valuable data it turned out that the true capacity of the sticks was only 2gb and a lot of people lost cherished memories.

Cloud backup as well makes sense.

6 minutes ago, KFC said:

Some time ago there was a load came in that were very cheap 16gb & 32gb. It turned out they had a programme installed that made it look as if they were taking the full memory but when it came to retreiving all the valuable data it turned out that the true capacity of the sticks was only 2gb and a lot of people lost cherished memories.

Cloud backup as well makes sense.

Yea exactly the same, actual size was 2gb off a 32gb. 

Ive had my fair share of sandisc fail as well, and now only buy kingston

11 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Are cheap small capacity unbranded USB memory sticks ok, or do they fail.

Got a 16 GB master copy of various music and want to break it down into several lots. Mainly so if a loss occurs I still have the master copy.

You could always use 2, then you would at least have a back up, maybe?

I don't rely on cheap anything if it involves data I'm not prepared to lose.

As has been said - even branded USB sticks don't cost that much.

Why not just buy another decent 16GB stick for £7.99 and have a 2nd copy of everything on that?

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/data-storage/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-ultra-flair-usb-3-0-memory-stick-16-gb-silver-black-10142340-pdt.html

14 hours ago, 30-6 said:

Got a 16 GB master copy

16Gb!, that is only 4 dvds worrth of data, just burn a few copies, they cost pennies and will likely out-last you by many years.  You could even burm to blue ray, they take 25Gb each and cost maybe £1 a piece.  Every 10 years or so you can sit down with your pile and move them to the latest and greatest system.

RS