Gun licence first time

Jamie9999

I do not own a gun or even a licence yet but want to get into shooting.

ive had a look at the government application form and it requires me to have proof of good use for the firearm.

I am looking at getting a rifle. Not an air powered one. I would want to join a shooting club like target practice but don't want to buy membership for proof if I may not be accepted for licence as it would be a waste of money. Whats the easiest thing to put as 'good use' for ownership for a firearm? Thanks lads.

1 hour ago, Jamie9999 said:

Contact some clubs that have club guns, go along , pay your money and have a go.
If you like it enough, join.
Most firearms clubs have probationary membership criteria with around 6 months of active attendance (50% + attendance) before acceptance for full membership .
Once you have full membership you can apply for a licence. This is your 'good use' reason.

If you have any err, interesting convictions, they may be a problem.

Good reason is land to shoot on and a reason to shoot on it. 

Ie, this farmer has asked me to control rabbits on this land and the distance requires an fac in ??? caliber. 

A club membership will usually lead to a closed fac to use at approved clubs unless you do sumat silly during the probation period. 

Edited by manthing

10 minutes ago, Jamie9999 said:

I will only target shoot a couple times a year but mainly I just want to collect a couple firearms.

This is no good as a reason.

9 minutes ago, Jamie9999 said:

i am wanting a gun licence to collect/use rifles for target shooting.

Im getting deja vu here 😄

You need  reason, full club membership or land cleared for x calibre.

I don’t want to pay for membership in a club incase I get declined.

You dont get membership without paying, and doing probationary period.

(I don’t own a firearm yet)  What should I put for good reason to own a firearm.

You wont own any firearms legally , or be able to fill the form out until you do the above ^^

Is there anything that is normally acceptable to put that doesn’t require me paying into a club before.

Land permission (written) the police will probably have issues with this if you have no firearm experience.

If you want to shoot target rifle disciplines at a club that is your reason. You will probably need evidence of having joined a club and been attending to support the application. 

Assuming no criminality or health issues odds of refusal are very slim so join a club and enjoy the sport. 

If you are purely interested in collecting then deactivated rifles are a considerably cheaper option all said and done. 

There are some obsolete things you can get still technically live without paperwork but you won’t be able to shoot them without a licence even if you persuade someone to load you up some ammunition. 

What exactly has caught your eye?

Edited by Wb123

30 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

It is, but I would be asking why you want a gun?

28 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Me too .

Yep, it comes across as trying to find a way to obtain a cert without good reason. If money is an issue then don't take up this sport, it is in no way cheap.

I've had my certs for just under 3 years and I'm a good 8 grand in at least. And I could have spent a lot more if the misses would let me. I'm far from done purchasing yet at renewal I plan on adding 3 or 4 more rifles.

If you cant afford the club membership, frequent visits to said club, cabinet, application and potentially medical fees even before buying a suitable firearm, optics, ammunition etc this probably isnt the sport for you. 

The costs applying for a shotgun are potentially marginally lower in that you may avoid the club membership but if your feo gets a funny feeling, as we all i suspect do, he will still want evidence you have been regularly shooting somewhere, which is more expensive for shotgun than rifle club meets I have been involved with (rimfire at least).

To collect, you need to be able to display a long, meaningful and in depth historical interest in the relevant firearms. 

As it stands you have no land to shoot on, no interest in paying to join a club, and even if you did it would only be to shoot a couple of times a year. None of the above equates to ‘good reason’, which is a prerequisite from which to start. Without good reason you can forget about the rest I’m afraid. If it was as simple as that I’d have a huge collection. 

You can collect quite a big variety of obsolete calibre firearms;  deacts, antique or vintage without license, but most of those capable of accepting readily available ammo will require licensing. 

7 hours ago, Jamie9999 said:

ive had a look at the government application form and it requires me to have proof of good use for the firearm.

I am looking at getting a rifle. Not an air powered one. I would want to join a shooting club like target practice but don't want to buy membership for proof if I may not be accepted for licence as it would be a waste of money. Whats the easiest thing to put as 'good use' for ownership for a firearm? Thanks lads.

The answer to the "good use" as you put it is to actually be allowed out on some ground to shoot and clear pests or shoot targets at a range. Spending the money on joining a shooting club could be just what you require.

4 hours ago, Jamie9999 said:

Is the process any different for a shotgun? 

Jamie how old are you?

Is it a spur of the moment decision to get a rifle or a shotgun?

Usually in order to learn a little about shooting most people get either a relative or friend who shoots to help them through the process.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

14 hours ago, Jamie9999 said:

Is the process any different for a shotgun? 

I thought you said they was FAc distance away that's why you needed a rifle. maybe its me but your not coming across as suitable candidate for a firearm is this a windup you only got 4 posts   

9 minutes ago, Rim Fire said:

I thought you said they was FAc distance away that's why you needed a rifle. maybe its me but your not coming across as suitable candidate for a firearm is this a windup you only got 4 posts   

Hence my question of "Jamie, how old are you?"