Lightweight Corvid Decoys

TIGHTCHOKE

In an attempt to lighten the weight of what we often carry when out decoying I got hold of some  double walled plastic sheet and made a template and a simple cutting board!

Takes a few moments to cut each one out and a piece of welding rod is used to make them stand up.

IMG_20190320_152441.jpg

I may get out this week, as to the shine, I have matt black spray paint so can matt them down if they do not bring them in.

The plan is to carry 20 or so, much lighter than anything else and much easier than the black bin bag decoys.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

13 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Worh a try.  I have some goose decoys somewhere made the same but in plywood and I have shot one or two fooled by them.. 

Many years ago I took a Mate out shooting for wood pigeons, they wouldn't play and after a while he asked if he could shoot the decoys as he was bored!

I replied that he could if he would pay for the damage, he decided not to!

Many years back when I started shooting I read an article about crow shooting over silhouette crow decoys pictured from above , black cardboard I think was used but as I had some black textured vinyl type material I cut them out and used that material, folded up or rolled up nicely in the pocket and weighed next to nothing.

Best bag if memory serves shooting over them was in the 60's

1 hour ago, deny essex said:

Many years back when I started shooting I read an article about crow shooting over silhouette crow decoys pictured from above , black cardboard I think was used but as I had some black textured vinyl type material I cut them out and used that material, folded up or rolled up nicely in the pocket and weighed next to nothing.

Best bag if memory serves shooting over them was in the 60's

Yes indeed, many years ago whilst at work i received a phone call from a farmer asking if I could shoot some corvids that lunchtime.

All we had at work was some black foam, I cut out large fish shapes and secured them to the bare field with 6" nails. Shot 39 in that short session.

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

5 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Nice looking dog Mate.:good:

IMG_20190320_152317a.jpg

hello, they look very good TT       let us know how you get on,  

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, they look very good TT       let us know how you get on,  

i did some home made ones using coat hangers/ masking tape/ and paper shreds/ then sprayed black, yours look a much better way  of doing them, cheers

The problem with crow decoys you can never get them black enough.  The only ones I have been succesful with is spraying with glue then adding black 'flock' dust but they only lasted a dozen or so outings.  Just look at a crow, it is as black as black AND has a sheen about it.   Not to run down your efforts TC but those are grey in comparison, particuarly where the light hits them at an angle.   I don't know if you can still get that flock dust, but it certainly made a good job and I suppose I could have resprayed them.  I still use them and have a couple of commercial versions with the same finish.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

The problem with crow decoys you can never get them black enough.  The only ones I have been succesful with is spraying with glue then adding black 'flock' dust but they only lasted a dozen or so outings.  Just look at a crow, it is as black as black AND has a sheen about it.   Not to run down your efforts TC but those are grey in comparison, particuarly where the light hits them at an angle.   I don't know if you can still get that flock dust, but it certainly made a good job and I suppose I could have resprayed them.  I still use them and have a couple of commercial versions with the same finish.

Noted, I will spray them matt black if they fail to bring the corvids within range.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

hello, you can buy jet black fibre flocking kits or just a pack of the fibre which i reckon would do a dozen decoys, 

9 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Noted, I will spray them matt black if they fail to bring the corvids within range.

Don't waste the paint. Matt black paint just isn't BLACK enough in my view.  Have a look on the web and see if you can get some of that jet black flocking stuff. It would be very easy to apply to those flat deeks.  I will see if I can dig one of my old deeks out and compare with a plastic one..

On 21/03/2019 at 09:57, ditchman said:

on my crow deeks i used to put black shoe polish on them and buff them up .....that works

When they first put the rubbish tip at Caister we had the surrounding grass fields that they used to cut for hay and then bailed up with the small bails , we made a few Crow decoys out of plywood and gave them a couple of coats of Black Santex masonry paint , mainly because we worked for a building firm and the materials were free , or they were to us ☺️ , we made the hide with the bails and then put the decoys out at different angles then in the middle of the so called pattern we laid a dead pigeon out with a load of feathers between a couple of decoys , this worked a treat and we reduced the numbers a fair bit , the only reason we gave up shooting them was shortage of the readies :lol: 

have seen some very effective crow deeks made from stuffed black plastic bin bags. They were used along with some full bodied plastic deeks to 'bulk out' the pattern. I also have used a white rabbit skin on the ground to look like a dead bunny. That worked too.

• 2 weeks later...