chokes stuck ?

vampire

Bought a gun with both chokes stuck fast in the barrels, don't think they have ever been removed as 1/4 and cylinder is a good combo.Any how took them along to local chap who had a quick goย ๐Ÿ˜ญwaste of time,all he did was slightly bur the edges of the chokes.

So plan b, do it myself.can of v90 release spray from toolstation,tea cup out of cupboard๐Ÿ™Šand filled it to depth of choke tubes and left it for a week...โ€ฆ.

Now,i don't have correct key and can only find one on the bay for ยฃ25 quid,now the clever part,ditchy would be so proud.

Managed to get a couple of new chokes.so now I have found a 1/2" 10mm tapered socket,slipped the new choke over it and needed a 1mm grind down on the bench sander till its exact,then slipped new choke back on and marked with a knife all four lugs of choke,cut against these with narrow cutting disc,then ground remainder away with grinding disc.

Now I just fine tuned it with diamond needle files till exact,this part took a while.

Now I just popped socket onto 18" breaker bar...โ€ฆ..and they moved๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€so swapped to a ratchet and wound them both out,they were tight all the way and covered in rust.

Anyways,might help someone in a similar predicament one day,so thought I would share.

And I can still use the 10mm socket,bonus.

I once had to take a stuck choke out of my mates Beretta as he wanted to p/ex it an knew if he took it to the shop with a stuck choke he wouldnโ€™t get jack **** for it. Repeatedly warmed it (heat gun) and sprayed ACF 50 into the bore for it to soak in.ย 

Then having made a choke key from a cheap socket (as you have done), held the bottom tube in a golf shaft clamp and warmed the barrel again I then wiggled the choke with the socket and as yours it came free. Where the luck came in was that the bore and threads were undamaged and all the corrosion was on the choke tube which was duly thrown away.ย 

Its always a good idea to remove chokes regularly and clean and lube them,ย  to prevent this happening.ย  Stuck chokes are another reason why i like extended chokes if your ever unlucky enough to have a choke stick with extended chokes you have more to get a hold of and get physical if you have to, Even if you wreck the tube getting it out its easier than trying to get a flush type choke out.

i went down toย  beratta workshops in fare hamย  ย years ago and they sworeย  by a stuffย  calledย  ย plusgas and they hadย  barells on it soaking mussel dipped down in itย  ย standing upright so get some of that pour some on a tin and stand yourย barells in a corner for a day or twoย  ย i am not premoting plus gasย  but its what them gunsmiths were doingย  ย  ย cheersย  ย g

43 minutes ago, propercartridges said:

i went down toย  beratta workshops in fare hamย  ย years ago and they sworeย  by a stuffย  calledย  ย plusgas and they hadย  barells on it soaking mussel dipped down in itย  ย standing upright so get some of that pour some on a tin and stand yourย barells in a corner for a day or twoย  ย i am not premoting plus gasย  but its what them gunsmiths were doingย  ย  ย cheersย  ย g

i think plus gas contains very fine graphite mixed in a very thin carrier...........its been about for years...i remember using it when i was 12 years old

+1 to Plus Gas

the Tin seems to be better than the aerosol. Diesel is quite good also.

i remove my chokes monthly...at my rate of shooting each has had about 350ย ย carts through by then. Clean them upย with some Legia applied with a toothbrush . Rub a bit of Molyย grease into them and shove back into gun

i think one of the reasons a choke gets stuck ...is when it is removed out in the field when the barrel is warm and the choke is cold.....then you get a certain ammount of condensation and when the gun is not being used the metal shinks back to size thus nipping the cold steel of the choke tight and the moisture does the rest

i have never had a choke get stuck...and dont have a choke tool either ....just do what most folk do....use a cartridge....

If a choke is seized try the diesel plus gas graphite sprays etc try with the choke wrench, if its still not coming you have to get physical and acept the choke as to come out regardless of damage to it. , Buy an adjustable reamer off ebay about ยฃ7.50 inc shipping like number

ย 

from china will take about ten days usually. adjust it to give a good bite over thhe chokes bore size wrap the bottom part of the reamer in ductape . slide the reamer down from the breach andย  pull it up clamp a decent pair of vice grips on or still sons and get a piece of dowel to push the reamer up into the choke get somebody to hold or clamp the barrel keeping a good pressure on after a firm tap to get the reamer biting, and it will break free.ย  They can be that seized some times they will scream the whole way out.ย  Reamer is scrap after this but its only ยฃ8 tops and will do another choke if ever you get one stuck again. Done this many times and never had it fail yet. another trick i once saw done was weld a piece of flat bar into the choke with a mig welder , then wound it out with vice grips on the bar, it did not damage the gun in anyway and the lad said the heat from the tacks helps get them out without a direct flame damaging the finish on the barrels .

Edited by Fen tiger