NZ to ban all semi automatic firearms

Benthejockey

10 hours ago, Scully said:

Ok. So let’s try it this way. In your opinion, the benefits of S1 semi automatic and pump action high capacity magazine fed shotguns, CF high capacity bolt action rifles, high capacity magazine fed CF straight pull rifles, high capacity magazine fed semi automatic and bolt action RF rifles; CF handguns ( because they haven’t been banned as you suggest ) high capacity CF magazine fed lever action carbines, BP handguns, S2 magazine fed semi automatic and pump action shotguns, sxs and ou shotguns, outweigh the potential risks posed by them? See what I mean? Still regard your argument as logical? 

As regards my personal comfort level for private ownership of legally held firearms, it sits at anything which can be used in a legitimate sporting capacity, which includes target shooting. 

I am also an advocate for the right for law abiding people to have the right to choose if they so wish, to carry arms for self defence, whether that be a pepper spray or a firearm. 

I’m with you 👍

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Anyone seen the front page of The Times this morning, semi automatic shotguns getting reviewed.

If they're going to review Shotguns, I'd say it's the cartridges rather than the guns they should look at, there's little need for slug and I'd argue even less for buckshot, but I'm not advocating that either, just pointing out they don't seem to understand what they're talking about. 

1 hour ago, 12gauge82 said:

If they're going to review Shotguns, I'd say it's the cartridges rather than the guns they should look at, there's little need for slug and I'd argue even less for buckshot, but I'm not advocating that either, just pointing out they don't seem to understand what they're talking about. 

Surely not, a national newspaper quoting carp, that would be a first 🤮

• 3 weeks later...

The dust has started to settle here in NZ. In round one of gun law changes, we have lost all semi-automatic centrefire rifles and semi-automatic shotguns with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges. No shotguns with detachable magazines will be allowed either. Rimfire magazines will now be limited 10 rounds.

The changes have received almost unanimous support from the political parties, and it is likely that they are supported by the majority of the general public. Not surprisingly, some groups within the gun owning community aren't thrilled and have been vocal in their opposition. The arguments on both sides have been predictable. Regardless, the legislation has been rushed through and there has been a lot of uncertainty about what would/wouldn't be banned and the details of a government "buyback". We are likely to see more law changes in the future and a gun register is being discussed.

Semi-automatic centrefire rifles, often AR15 were commonly used in NZ for large animal pest control. Usually goats, but also deer on Department of Conservation land. In legal terms, deer have no more status in NZ than a rat or a mouse. 

43 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

The dust has started to settle here in NZ. In round one of gun law changes, we have lost all semi-automatic centrefire rifles and semi-automatic shotguns with a magazine capacity greater than five cartridges. No shotguns with detachable magazines will be allowed either. Rimfire magazines will now be limited 10 rounds.

The changes have received almost unanimous support from the political parties, and it is likely that they are supported by the majority of the general public. Not surprisingly, some groups within the gun owning community aren't thrilled and have been vocal in their opposition. The arguments on both sides have been predictable. Regardless, the legislation has been rushed through and there has been a lot of uncertainty about what would/wouldn't be banned and the details of a government "buyback". We are likely to see more law changes in the future and a gun register is being discussed.

Semi-automatic centrefire rifles, often AR15 were commonly used in NZ for large animal pest control. Usually goats, but also deer on Department of Conservation land. In legal terms, deer have no more status in NZ than a rat or a mouse. 

Does this mean that up until that happens none of your firearms are registered? If so, how will the authorities know if all have been handed in? 

15 minutes ago, Scully said:

Does this mean that up until that happens none of your firearms are registered? If so, how will the authorities know if all have been handed in? 

Maybe they wont know.
Just introduce stiff penalties for illegal possession of a banned gun, a bit like the handgun ban in this country removed handguns off the streets so successfully 🙄

4 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

Maybe they wont know.
Just introduce stiff penalties for illegal possession of a banned gun, a bit like the handgun ban in this country removed handguns off the streets so successfully 🙄

Indeed, but I had in mind the number of high capacity shotguns which may or may not have 'disappeared' following similar legislation being introduced in the UK after Hungerford, when authorities called for all those who owned such firearms to either register them or hand them in. I know of two which weren't registered nor handed in, as I ultimately came to own them. To be perfectly honest I can't say I would blame anyone for refusing to hand over such firearms. 

I believe ( and I'm perfectly willing to accept I may be wrong ) that there is no registration for individual CF rifles in Canada. 

3 minutes ago, Scully said:

Indeed, but I had in mind the number of high capacity shotguns which may or may not have 'disappeared' following similar legislation being introduced in the UK after Hungerford, when authorities called for all those who owned such firearms to either register them or hand them in. I know of two which weren't registered nor handed in, as I ultimately came to own them. To be perfectly honest I can't say I would blame anyone for refusing to hand over such firearms. 

I believe ( and I'm perfectly willing to accept I may be wrong ) that there is no registration for individual CF rifles in Canada. 

Single shot? :innocent::whistling:

17 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Correct (for the most part) and no, the authorities will not know what needs to be handed in.

That makes sense!  Only the law abiding will do so; the remainder ( whom up until that point, WERE law abiding ) will be criminalised for not handing in their legally bought firearms. It's all starting to sound so familiar. 

50 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

To make matters worse, only legally held guns will be eligible for buyback, the rest will be collected under amnesty. It doesn't take a genius to work out that the honest gun owner will most likely hand their gun in, but the criminal element will not. 

Law abiding UK CF rifle owners had no choice but to hand theirs in as the authorities knew exactly who owned what, and where they were kept, due to registration. The same happened with handguns after Dunblane, and for the same reason.

Registration of individual shotguns was introduced after Hungerford; up until then you just needed a shotgun license...no one knew how many you had. Hence some were never handed in. 

Skully   It was me  who posted about repeal of firearm registration in Canada. The gov't now has no record of our long guns. Only pistols and a few "evil rifles" are registered. There is still occasional squakking about tighter gun laws but little has come of it. A very recent gov't poll shows that opinion is about even on the need or usefulness of more restrictive laws and prohibitions. Present laws are fairly reasonable. Of course in the wilds of western Canada we feel we could have more firearm freedom overall it is better than some very restrictive American states.

• 2 months later...