NZ to ban all semi automatic firearms

Benthejockey

It's a bit of a cluster ****, no doubt and there are a lot of very unhappy people, but the article isn't quite correct. As far as centrefire rifles go, all semi-automatics are now illegal, but bolt actions (and possibly others) remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds. Effectively, it is magazines greater than 10 rounds which have become illegal. It is also a little unclear from the article, but semi-automatic rimfire rifles remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

It's a bit of a cluster ****, no doubt and there are a lot of very unhappy people, but the article isn't quite correct. As far as centrefire rifles go, all semi-automatics are now illegal, but bolt actions (and possibly others) remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds. Effectively, it is magazines greater than 10 rounds which have become illegal. It is also a little unclear from the article, but semi-automatic rimfire rifles remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds. 

That's exactly the way I read it? 

But gallery/lever action rifles/pistol calibre? Even we can still have those. 

And rim fire? Shotgun? 

The aim of the article is to point out, the original remit has been far exceeded, which it has. 

Edited by Rewulf

- Lever actions remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds.

- Pistols not affected in any way.

- Rimfire not affected, even semi-automatic provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds.

- Shotgun not affected, even semi-automatic provided they have a magazine of less than 5 rounds.

35 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

- Lever actions remain legal provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds.

Many do though, so that's them gone, unless they're converted. 

- Pistols not affected in any way.

Ok, for now. 

- Rimfire not affected, even semi-automatic provided they have a magazine of less than 10 rounds.

So a Ruger 10/22 for instance? Let's hope someone produces some 5 round mags, or does that not count as being 'limited' for the fact they can easily be capable of having a 10 + round mag? 

How is that 'not affected' 

- Shotgun not affected, even semi-automatic provided they have a magazine of less than 5 rounds.

So any 5 round and over have to be scrapped or crimped, if that's allowed?

How is that 'not affected'? 

Rifles with fixed magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will need to be modified or handed in for destruction. In my last post, I should have said magazines that hold 10 rounds or less (rather than "less than 10 rounds"), so with the 10/22 example, the gun remains legal with a 10 round magazine. Higher capacity magazines will now be illegal, the gun is legal provided a higher capacity magazine isn't put in to it. As for semi-automatic shotguns, I should have said 5 rounds or less remain legal (rather than "less than 5 rounds"). If the magazine holds more than 5 rounds, then the gun needs to be handed in for destruction, or modified. 

1 hour ago, Houseplant said:

Rifles with fixed magazines that hold more than 10 rounds will need to be modified or handed in for destruction. In my last post, I should have said magazines that hold 10 rounds or less (rather than "less than 10 rounds"), so with the 10/22 example, the gun remains legal with a 10 round magazine. Higher capacity magazines will now be illegal, the gun is legal provided a higher capacity magazine isn't put in to it. As for semi-automatic shotguns, I should have said 5 rounds or less remain legal (rather than "less than 5 rounds"). If the magazine holds more than 5 rounds, then the gun needs to be handed in for destruction, or modified. 

Aah, that's a bit better then.