Looking for opinions on two Brownings.

Chris Waring

Single screw thread in the action, rather than the two of the older 682. 

The wood work in the head swelling and jamming the top lever.

Theses are just two I know of on early guns, not heard much about later guns having problems.

Edited by figgy

The 692 (and other 69X series guns) inherited the idiotic switchable eject/extract mechanism that no one wanted from the SV10 series. It was troublesome from day 1 nearly 10 years ago and has never been resolved despite several attempts. They've only very recently designed it out and reverted to conventional ejectors.

As figgy mentioned, the trigger group is attached to the frame by a single small setscrew, another throwback to the SV10s which had removable triggers and which again no one wanted. This screw has a tendency to work loose and in some case fail, leaving the gun literally in 2 pieces. The (cough) fix is a drop of non setting thread lock.

These things don't matter too much if you shoot 2 or 3K shells per year but there are clay shooters out there shooting 30K per year or even more and reliability matters to them. The 692 has been a sales disaster by Beretta standards and IMO deservedly so.

It's typical of  what happens when the bean counters overrule the engineers.

On 03/04/2019 at 11:37, B725 said:

I may well have been unfortunately I can't remember everything I replied to, you must have a good memory 👍

I work with Steve1066 and I’m not so sure about his memory 😂😂😂

(just kidding, boss 😂😂)

No facility to shoot at the shop but had tried a Beretta 692 and Browning 725  at the clay club the week before as two shots let me use theirs. Only tried the ultra XS Pro in the shop. I prefered the pistol grip on the pro sport to the other two, it seemed much fatter and fitted my hand much better. Though all 3 have adjustable stocks my eye came down on the rib so much more naturally on the Pro Sport. Shop owner said that all round it was the best fit of the 3 and as it was also the cheapest option he obviously wasn't just saying it for profit. So I have ordered a 30" Pro Sport.