As if on wires.

JDog

This field has not been good to me. Three years ago it was peas and I had a few failures. The last two years have seen no activity on stubbles. This year there have been pigeons on the rape on and off but just for fun I walked them off and they never returned. So why would this morning be any different?

I did my duties and spoke to the pony paddock owners and by 9:50 I was in place with a rotary and two pigeons on long sticks. From the outset pigeons came from all points on the compass and within an hour I had run out of cartridges. Luckily my car was parked 40m away with replacement ammunition. Every bird wanted to come right into the pattern and I could have shot every one at 25 to 30m but once I had shot a fair few I started to take long crossers out to 45m. I am not sure that I can remember pigeons wanting to come into a decoy pattern on winter rape so readily.

It was all over by 12:00 and I picked 66 pigeons and was home by 12:30 having scrambled eggs on toast in the garden.

thumbnail_20190321_104815_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20190321_104826_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20190321_114250_resized.jpg

thumbnail_20190321_124830_resized.jpg

Sometimes it just clicks and those days go into the memory bank.

I can pull up a memory of an afternoon where I had a friends young son visiting the shoot mid july and there were one or two pigeons dropping into some tram lines in a field of wheat.

He said he was up to trying and had never shot decoyed pigeons before.   Short story was it was like your morning, the tap suddenly opened and they just kept coming and the young lad shot very well.  I know we had a serious pile of pigeons in short order.  

As always if your not there you will not shoot them.

excellent..................that is spooky...

• you have the same kind of net as me
  • the same cartridge bag
  • and the same flask....

weird...:lol:

edit i like tomatoe sauce and black pepper on my scrambled eggs...........

Edited by ditchman

55 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Obviously a man of quality Ditchie. I have the same flask as well.   Only just noticed the dog peeking out of the net...love him.

every time JD comes down here i have to beat him up...to try and kidnap Jasper...cause jasper clearly loves it in norfolk....but i cant get the best of him....he alweays leaves me as a bloodied mess on the drive and as he drives away sticks 2 fingers out of the car window at me..........the man is a swine...

That is some very fast shooting Mr JDog , that rape look as if it have had some serious attention from pigeons at times over the Winter months and with a bit of luck you might get a few more bags before it get to tall.

Yesterday I looked at one of our fields which is now getting on for four feet tall with a good showing of flowers on , then less than a mile away we have got a field that have got big patches on it that are more sparse than the field you have just shot over , the only difference in your field and mine is you would had to have been there for weeks instead of a couple of hours to get a bag like you have just got , yes there are a few pigeons using it but the same old story , after a shot or two they have gone for the rest of the day :no:

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

every time JD comes down here i have to beat him up...to try and kidnap Jasper...cause jasper clearly loves it in norfolk....but i cant get the best of him....he alweays leaves me as a bloodied mess on the drive and as he drives away sticks 2 fingers out of the car window at me..........the man is a swine...

You can have Jasper when Barney is fully trained.

Only kidding.

Well done JD, so good for the moral when you get a good session, I spent Wednesday afternoon staring at an empty sky, the rape had about 1-1/2 acres eaten off and looked a dead cert for some action, but no, 2 shots for zero return, so depressing, tell me some more tales of big bags and sky's full of pigeons, I need a good read.😫