flip top

Walker570

Just made up another squirrel flip top. Put it on because one or two forum members had asked how to make them. Hopefully this photo is self explanatory.

The box is then screwed to a wooden shelf.  The holes in the front I drill to entice the squirrels and also the small birds are able to peck bits of peanut through them.

Doesn't have to be as heavy built as ths but this checker plate was lying around asking to be used.  The lid exteds over the back and is bent down to keep rain out but also stop the lid going too far back and not closing.

I have lodged it open to show how it lits up. A simple piece of wire ..welding wire ..through holes act as a hinge.

003.jpg

This one is the same size box but doesn't have the hopper on the back like some of mine.  I add the hopper because I can't be sure I can visit more than once a week or even less.

The one shown would be fine for  a location where you could visit at least once a week.   I can tell you the woodmice are going to have to take weight lifting courses to get that lid up.

I have a cardboard pattern I use for the box section on it's own, so they all come out about the same size.  Three of my flip tops are 70 miles away and I only get there evry 14 days or so and that is wher the added hoppers come in useful, but even then they have been known to empty one in that time.   Once pheasant feedrs stop being fed then these flip tops come into their own and providing a few holes to attract small birds is good as the movement of birds feeding attracts the tree rats.