Tiling over plywood

lord_seagrave

8 minutes ago, Saltings said:

you will need timber flex adhesive and flexible grout you can seal the ply with pva thinned down or go straight on with adhesive  if natural stone tiles they will need sealing before laying and possibly use a white adhesive

this....:good:...and ask for a "low modulus grout"

I'd take the plywood top off or use cement board as one poster has put.  

New tiles just don't seem as good as the older ceramic tiles were. Bonding some of them can be a pain onto plywood.  You can get fine mesh may to go between the adhesive. 

I.have in the past used silicon sealant to bond tiles that kept coming loose. Worked a treat.

43 minutes ago, figgy said:

I'd take the plywood top off or use cement board as one poster has put.  

New tiles just don't seem as good as the older ceramic tiles were. Bonding some of them can be a pain onto plywood.  You can get fine mesh may to go between the adhesive. 

I.have in the past used silicon sealant to bond tiles that kept coming loose. Worked a treat.

timber flex works and god help you if you have to remove in the very distant future 20yrs + requires a breaker or a load of patience with a hammer and bolster smells of  burnt rubber       used in walk in shower wet rooms etc for the last 40 yrs so a counter top will not propose a problem  again timber flex and flexible grout just thrown a fair  bit of both away as out of date otherwise you could have it sorry four weeks too late    if you need a small amount somebody on here may have enough to help you out         but not overly expensive from contract tile suppliers