Kids ey !

ditchman

speaking to my grandaughter last week....she thinks im an idoit ..(in a nice sort of way).......we were talking about what i did as a young boy.....and the conversation got around to toys we had...........

i said "we used to make our own toys"....she larfed in disblief.........so 15 mins later ...i had made her a "cotton reel tank"....then i made her a matchbox gun.....she was in awe.....anyway that was a week ago...phoned her mum last night....and i asked her if her daughter was messing about on skyp with here mates ...and she said no.....she was still messing about with the cotton reel tank  :lol:

well there's a surprise........

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brilliant !

Tell my kids that when I was a lad, before mobiles, tinternet and computers, one of my best 'toys' was a dead cat, and for a general pastime we used to throw rocks at each other.

They look at me like Im some sort of wind up merchant, maybe about the cat...

9 minutes ago, ditchman said:

speaking to my grandaughter last week....she thinks im an idoit ..(in a nice sort of way).......we were talking about what i did as a young boy.....and the conversation got around to toys we had...........

i said "we used to make our own toys"....she larfed in disblief.........so 15 mins later ...i had made her a "cotton reel tank"....then i made her a matchbox gun.....she was in awe.....anyway that was a week ago...phoned her mum last night....and i asked her if her daughter was messing about on skyp with here mates ...and she said no.....she was still messing about with the cotton reel tank  

Ah, the cotton reel tanks, that brings back memories. Kept us amused making them and playing for hours. What about the two cocoa tins and bit of string for our version of mobile phones ?

It seems kids miss out a lot on the simple things in life that we once enjoyed.

OB

WP_20190322_11_48_13_Pro.jpg.e02c5ae394a0a1c85703c1c221e3a0a5.jpg

53 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i said "we used to make our own toys"....she larfed in disblief.........so 15 mins later ...i had made her a "cotton reel tank"....then i made her a matchbox gun.....she was in awe.....anyway that was a week ago...phoned her mum last night....and i asked her if her daughter was messing about on skyp with here mates ...and she said no.....she was still messing about with the cotton reel tank  

sounds great Ditchy, see if you can find a copy of this book, you probably don't need it but its very good, and there's a girl version

58 minutes ago, NoBodyImportant said:

My kiddo has a video game addiction so I try to lure him out of the house.  We bayonet stuff and beat cars with hammers.  We are poor but we stay entertained.  

B3B44C03-1A04-4755-8BB2-EB0AEFF4BCEA.jpeg

7CE949A7-0E45-4253-AA6A-A9C86D34AC19.jpeg

974F5263-D812-4880-8162-04667BB8BD3B.jpeg

63EF48E6-4A4F-4885-93C4-081FEA632BF6.jpeg

No suppressed anger there then  ;)  over here we encouraged to knit sandals out of yogurt whilst listening to whales deep breathing

Just now, islandgun said:

No suppressed anger there then  ;)  over here we encouraged to knit sandals out of yogurt whilst listening to whales deep breathing

Absolutely not.  He knows to ask before hitting stuff with hammers.   We have rules.  Guns for example.  Any time he wants to see them he asks.  We safety check them together and I take the mystery out of them.  We also play a game called is it bulletproof where we shoot things to see what bullets will do.  Everything we throw in the trash we like to shoot to see the destruction.  I do this to show him that guns are not toys and should always be treated with respect.  The trick is to remove the urge to do things behind my back.  

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Aah, Nostalgia isn't what it used to be. Jumpers for goalposts. 

I used to make catapults, bows and arrows, sling shots but they were bloody dangerous to me more than others. Spears out of sharpened fire hardened sticks. Bit of tube as a pea shooter 15mm copper or plastic conduit was best.

Also when walking home finding a stone or flattened can to kick along as you walked for as long as could before losing it.

Flicking stones or  pips etc by crooking your index finger on left hand and gripping your chosen projectile. Then placing the top of the pad of your right index finger on the second joint of left finger applying pressure with left thumb to send joint of right finger untill your finger tip slips through the crook pushing the projectile at quite fast speed and accuracy at what you like. Usually a mate. Holly and Rowan berries were good for this along with dried peas. Small coins would wizz like ricocheting bullets.

Small bits of white spark plug Insulater was great on toughened glass from distance.

Anyone else enjoy flicking dog cack with a stick at things.

Edited by figgy

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Split the kipper! Lol!.... and bird nesting?

ruined many a good penknife doing that....(and gum boots for that matter...we all lived in turned down gumboots winter and summer)..........we used to call it "splitsees"...........

You should all become Scout Leaders, plenty of opportunity to teach the young innapropriate traditional games, just don't do pea shooters as they could be viewed as blowpipes and so as offensive weapons(I did).

Small siege weapons are ok though.

, "children are the last savage tribe"

19 minutes ago, Yellow Bear said:

And this just shows the stupidity of the snowflake generation, they'll ban Nerf and ping pong ball guns next

pump action 10 shot ping-pong ball guns were nothing short of AWESOME....on cold days indoors.........with a couple of mates pretending to be japanese soldiers running at you on the landing............

Handlebar mortors ,bike on its side ,remove end cap light blue touch paper lob inside handle bar step back and laugh as boom boom it leaves "the tube "

Remember the hand bangers with the flimsy green plastic handles ,light them and prey u have fingers left.

Enforce and improve your french arrows put a dart head on the end ,awesome range but dont try and catch them :w00t: