Kids ey !

ditchman

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great thread! Where to start? Bashing lead piping flat and cutting into small squares with a chisel to fire from catapults; caused many an injury to thumb ends etc. We would go onto the local council tip and jump on the roof of a half buried car and shoot at the rats which ran out....can’t recall hitting any! 

I can clearly recall cotton bobbin tanks; we would cut treads into them so they could grip. 

Pea shooters with rice as projectiles and making dens in woods and rope swings over rivers and becks. 

What were those games called where you moved letters or numbers around a small square by moving one letter or number at a time to get them all in the correct order? Never could do it! 

5 hours ago, old'un said:

Or making 1p banger guns out of a piece of ½ inch copper pipe and fishing shot or ball bearings for ammo, amazed we weren’t killed or seriously hurt.

Oh yes! 

And weedkiller and sugar in a pop bottle, ignited by a torch bulb and pushbike dynamo.

It wasn't until the A level chemistry class that I was able to discover the recipe for guncotton.

I still have 10 fingers

17 minutes ago, amateur said:

Oh yes! 

And weedkiller and sugar in a pop bottle, ignited by a torch bulb and pushbike dynamo.

It wasn't until the A level chemistry class that I was able to discover the recipe for guncotton.

I still have 10 fingers

I got the mixture for gunpowder from a book called "Butter Side UP!" by Magnus Pike.

I got the Saltpetre and Sulpher from the school chemistry labs.

My mum still dosent know why i lost a lot of my eyebrows one day , I could never master making fuses.

Edited by Dibble

18 minutes ago, amateur said:

Oh yes! 

I still have 10 fingers

How many did you start out with?:rolleyes:

Being 1943 born in Bristol our playgrounds were bomb sites. We made our share of bows and arrows, catapaults and French arrows. The latter were lethal: we weighted the ends with transformer wire from discarded radios and front loaded them with 6" nails. Bonfire night was lethal. Rockets out of drainpipes like bazookers wearing Mark IV goggles to protect our eyes and air bombs aimed at 2nd storey Windows to scare neighbours. Scrumping apples and roasting over open fires on bomb sites. Gang fights against the Kingsdown gang and avoiding the local bobbies who could be very old school when it came to punishment. Looking back we must have been a nightmare for our parents and neighbours. With that experience I made sure my two boys towed the line.

13 minutes ago, Dibble said:

I got the mixture for gunpowder from a book called "Butter Side UP!" by Magnus Pike.

I got the Saltpetre and Sulpher from the school chemistry labs.

My mum still dosent know why i lost a lot of my eyebrows one day , I could never master making fuses.

best fuse is made with a pyjama cord soaked in chlorate weedkiler and dried on a radiator.......

34 minutes ago, amateur said:

Oh yes! 

I still have 10 fingers

10 fingers and two thumbs? :ermm: Originally from the Norfolk area? :whistling:

My best toys were french arrows, made with bamboo, 6" nail sharpened and rammed in the end. Turkey feather for flights. Get a good 150 yard out of one. 

Next was gaffa taping cheap fireworks on to arrows, and launching from a rubbish recurve bow i had. Get a mate to light it and see how far they go. Needless to say we never found any. 

Did anybody ever make the bakedbean Bazooka? Brilliant fun, how we never lost fingers ill never know. 

Catapult fights which progressed to gat guns and g10s. 

. 22rf in pliers and hitting with a hammer. Very dodgy, we gave up after half a box and lobbed the rest on the bonfire. Run. 

I loved being 13 😂

Pea shooters fights,gats fights, bows and arrows.Ended up in hospital with an arrow stuck in my temple once. Daft thing was i was supposed to be one of the Indians.Big brother tried to pull it out but it was stuck.Snapped it off like in a cowboy films,ended up just making it worse.

Controversial now but every kid used to have an egg collection.Every day in the Summer we would go nesting.The golden rule was only take one egg.We where never in the house in those days.

Used to hate Sunday bath night & bit like Monday mornings now.We never had much as kids but we always had plenty to do.Great days,really great days!

9 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

My best toys were french arrows, made with bamboo, 6" nail sharpened and rammed in the end. Turkey feather for flights. Get a good 150 yard out of one. 

Next was gaffa taping cheap fireworks on to arrows, and launching from a rubbish recurve bow i had. Get a mate to light it and see how far they go. Needless to say we never found any. 

Did anybody ever make the bakedbean Bazooka? Brilliant fun, how we never lost fingers ill never know. 

Catapult fights which progressed to gat guns and g10s. 

. 22rf in pliers and hitting with a hammer. Very dodgy, we gave up after half a box and lobbed the rest on the bonfire. Run. 

I loved being 13 😂

Lol, i couldn't help my self last summer.Her in doors went in the house after a barbi.I'd had a bit to drink & nipped in the garage and grabbed a empty aerosol and lobbed it on.She comes back out,i panicked & tried to stop her  coming up the garden  & BOOOOM!!! She nearly had an heart attack. A bit of shrapnel puts the glass out in the greenhouse & i end up in the doghouse.

Edited by Davyo

59 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

10 fingers and two thumbs? :ermm: Originally from the Norfolk area? :whistling:

You lot are so pedantic 😀

I remember taping copper pipe to the end of my air-rifle barrel and using it as a rifle-grenade launcher for lit penny bangers. The sheer delight of hiding behind a wall and lobbing exploding straddle shots at my younger brother, who didn't have a clue where they were coming from.

Video games? Who needs 'em?

2 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Lol, i couldn't help my self last summer.Her in doors went in the house after a barbi.I'd had a bit to drink & nipped in the garage and grabbed a empty aerosol and lobbed it on.She comes back out,i panicked & tried to stop her  coming up the garden  & BOOOOM!!! She nearly had an heart attack. A bit of shrapnel puts the glass out in the greenhouse & i end up in the doghouse.

Do a full unopened bakebean tin on a bonfire. Impressive boom and a great orange spray! 

Just remembered we also used to put bangers in each others pockets when they weren't looking. The bruise it used to leave, youd have thought theyd been hit with a sledge. 

A large nut and two bolts,,,,screw one bolt 1/3 way into the nut,,fill with the scrapings of half a dozen match heads then screw in the second bolt,CAREFULLY !

Throw,,,,,and enjoy the bang if it lands correctly. If not,,approach with care and try throwing it again.

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

best fuse is made with a pyjama cord soaked in chlorate weedkiler and dried on a radiator.......

Old bootlaces with the inner cords pulled out were ours. Probably very similar stuff Ditchy.

Reading this thread has me chuckling remembering the things we got up to.  Learned about risk assessment the hard way, and you never forget it.

Beans or tinned mushy peas Into a camp fire with no one else knowing as they all sit round it, boom all screaming as bits of fire are blown everywhere and all  burnt from scalding hot beans or peas stuck to you. The fun we had.

You all must have made bogeys out of two planks of wood and pram wheels nailed on, string for steering front cross member bolted through the front of the plank.

1 minute ago, figgy said:

Old bootlaces with the inner cords pulled out were ours. Probably very similar stuff Ditchy.

Reading this thread has me chuckling remembering the things we got up to.  Learned about risk assessment the hard way, and you never forget it.

Beans or tinned mushy peas Into a camp fire with no one else knowing as they all sit round it, boom all screaming as bits of fire are blown everywhere and all  burnt from scalding hot beans or peas stuck to you. The fun we had.

You all must have made bogeys out of two planks of wood and pram wheels nailed on, string for steering front cross member bolted through the front of the plank.

I ran old Mrs Patterson over on mine, that's when the plank snapped.She fell on top of me  and the  bogey went crack.Old Mr Patterson bashed me with the crook end of his walking stick.Then my dad belted me when he got home from Pit.