Kids ey !

ditchman

Ditchy  can you imagine a kid today going home,shoes ruined with stab marks sock all cut and feet bleeding. The mother what on earth you been doing ohh throwing knives at eachother seeing who can get closest, it was great fun mother. Be all hell on,police called the lot.

Never mind shooting eachother with airguns lol

1 minute ago, Davyo said:

I ran old Mrs Patterson over on mine, that's when the plank snapped.She fell on top of me  and the  bogey went crack.Old Mr Patterson bashed me with the crook end of his walking stick.Then my dad belted me when he got home from Pit.

Davyo them were the days. 

If you got a clout for doing wrong you didn't tell your parents when you went home because you'd get another.

Edited by figgy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, figgy said:

Ditchy  can you imagine a kid today going home,shoes ruined with stab marks sock all cut and feet bleeding. The mother what on earth you been doing ohh throwing knives at eachother seeing who can get closest, it was great fun mother. Be all hell on,police called the lot.

Never mind shooting eachother with airguns lol

Davyo them were the days. 

If you got a clout for doing wrong you didn't tell your parents when you went home because you'd get another.

Haha was mad in my house,dad would belt me,mam would belt him.Dad would go to the pub for a week.Gran would go up the pub and kick off with dad.Grandad would kick off with gran.I would get no pocket money for a month.So id play the dinner nick at school & spend me dinner money.Then id get caught, get the cane.Go back home and it would all kick off again.Loved Grandad he would call me dad a anchor and let me smoke his pipe.

Edited by Davyo

Bombs made out of a tin, length of plastic hose, short candle and a bit of custard powder

chlorate sugar bombs in a bit of copper pipe,or if you could find one...an Ali cigar tube. Used to tape them onto the green house windows out on "the moss". Fuse made of string soaked in vinegar and then dried in the AGA gave a good time delay . Blew out a fair few windows

Putty guns....length of copper pipe as as blowpipe and putty balls

blowpipes out of Biro tube, pin cotton wool

as said before...bolt bombs

all these things along with those mentioned above have made me into the rounded person I am now:rolleyes:

38 minutes ago, Diver One said:

Bombs made out of a tin, length of plastic hose, short candle and a bit of custard powder

chlorate sugar bombs in a bit of copper pipe,or if you could find one...an Ali cigar tube. Used to tape them onto the green house windows out on "the moss". Fuse made of string soaked in vinegar and then dried in the AGA gave a good time delay . Blew out a fair few windows

Putty guns....length of copper pipe as as blowpipe and putty balls

blowpipes out of Biro tube, pin cotton wool

as said before...bolt bombs

all these things along with those mentioned above have made me into the rounded person I am now:rolleyes:

we did something different...........we used to hang around the pit  and find those old keys with a hollow tube down the middle...then cut a 6" nail in half pack the key with 4 crushed swan vestas put the nail in with some sellotape and tape it to and arrow....fired one at next doors gardener bob lister...he was up a ladder tying the rose against the wall....the balistic arrow hit the wall and went off like a .303..........bob fell off the ladder swearing and cussing...words i never heard before........

i had to put my hand on the bible and swear an oath (one of many i might add) never to do it again..............

oh yeah.............i couldnt sit down for a week .........:oops:

One of the most effective weapons available from the hedgerow , was a piece of hazel stick about 1/2 inch thick, sharpened at one end then push an acorn on the sharp end. By hitting the stick on the side of your foot you could propel that acorn at warp speed and with practise very accurately out to 30-40yrds.  Anyone on the receiving end would only see a kid carrying a small stick. 

Remember my grandfather suggesting we sort some rats under a deep litter pen. The pen was about 30ft by 10ft and had about a foot of hen muck inside but fortunately no chickens at that time.  He told me to go round the outside and block all the holes but one having put a piece of carbide in each hole plus a splash of water.  My grandmother called him to the phone and he must have been away for 15 minutes or more before returning and typing  parrafin soaked rag on the line prop. He gave me the job of removing the sod I had put on one hole and he then pushed the lit rag over the hole and there was a thunderous roar, rats being propelled through the air and the shed collapsed in a heap.  Seems I shouldn't have put four pieces of the stuff in each hole, just one.   Our next bonfire on Nov 5th was built over that old shed and it never house chickens again.

Edited by Walker570

When I was about 15 we had a mole problem on the back lawn, so my younger brother and I made a sodium chlorate, sulphur and coal dust mix with the intention of smoking out or gassing the moles. This was packed into the mole holes and ignited.

Lots of fumes, but they turned out to be inflammable - so whooomph, the lawn appeared to rise about 6 inches.

No more moles, but also no more lawn, or at least, lots of yellow patches.

Father never knew

46 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

One of the most effective weapons available from the hedgerow , was a piece of hazel stick about 1/2 inch thick, sharpened at one end then push an acorn on the sharp end. By hitting the stick on the side of your foot you could propel that acorn at warp speed and with practise very accurately out to 30-40yrds.  Anyone on the receiving end would only see a kid carrying a small stick. 

Remember my grandfather suggesting we sort some rats under a deep litter pen. The pen was about 30ft by 10ft and had about a foot of hen muck inside but fortunately no chickens at that time.  He told me to go round the outside and block all the holes but one having put a piece of carbide in each hole plus a splash of water.  My grandmother called him to the phone and he must have been away for 15 minutes or more before returning and typing  parrafin soaked rag on the line prop. He gave me the job of removing the sod I had put on one hole and he then pushed the lit rag over the hole and there was a thunderous roar, rats being propelled through the air and the shed collapsed in a heap.  Seems I shouldn't have put four pieces of the stuff in each hole, just one.   Our next bonfire on Nov 5th was built over that old shed and it never house chickens again.

awesome dude..:good:

Bejasus they gave you lot gun tickets, none of you would have been allowed a catapult if you had to declare adolescent naughtys.

As sure as I'm sat here riding this bike I was a good boy. 😁 Only have two impact scars (rocks) on my head, one dart hole in my face  and several short cut scars in various places. 😥

4 minutes ago, Sha Bu Le said:

Bejasus they gave you lot gun tickets, none of you would have been allowed a catapult if you had to declare adolescent naughtys.

As sure as I'm sat here riding this bike I was a good boy. 😁 Only have two impact scars (rocks) on my head, one dart hole in my face  and several short cut scars in various places. 😥

it makes you think dont it.........:lol:..........tell the truth to the FEO and he would have a fit ....and cuff you there and then...."danger to soceity" and all that:lol:

38 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

Is that in Wales or something, bit cooler than the original Guantanamo Bay 🙂

Sorry matey

look ..its early in the morning and my spelling is not up to much...........keep yer hand on the steering wheel and always signal when you are turning when you are driving your plane...

I remember playing stretch on the front lawn with Dads old army knife. Bear in mind the mining houses had open plan front lawns that weren't allowed to be fenced. No parent came out to stop us. We must have been better at aiming than you lot as I can't remember anyone getting scewered. This is the knife. I still have it. A bit battered and chipped from all the abuse it had.

IMG_20190323_095757.jpg

29 minutes ago, loriusgarrulus said:

I remember playing stretch on the front lawn with Dads old army knife. Bear in mind the mining houses had open plan front lawns that weren't allowed to be fenced. No parent came out to stop us. We must have been better at aiming than you lot as I can't remember anyone getting scewered. This is the knife. I still have it. A bit battered and chipped from all the abuse it had.

IMG_20190323_095757.jpg

Looking at the broken stick in the background, someone’s probably had a beating too!

10 minutes ago, Jaymo said:

That’s not a ‘Beating stick’ , it’s a ‘Paint stirring’ stick that every shed by law, has to have.

Now come on, surely you understand that the paint should be stirred with the same old screwdriver used to prize open the tin.

Any one remember , lobber dobbers?!

a peice of 2"  plastic pipe about 3 ft long, this was rammed into the ground/ grass and pulled out with the sod stuck firmly in the end,

lift pipe above /behind head and sling forward keeping hold of the pipe, the sod would come out of the end with great speed,

The gable ends of the terrace houses near us were polka dotted with Sod's of mud lol lol

And  many a  kitchen sink waste pipe went missing from various houses lol

flynny

2 minutes ago, flynny said:

Any one remember , lobber dobbers?!

a peice of 2"  plastic pipe about 3 ft long, this was rammed into the ground/ grass and pulled out with the sod stuck firmly in the end,

lift pipe above /behind head and sling forward keeping hold of the pipe, the sod would come out of the end with great speed,

The gable ends of the terrace houses near us were polka dotted with Sod's of mud lol lol

And  many a  kitchen sink waste pipe went missing from various houses lol

flynny

Yep and cow **** frisbees. 

12 hours ago, la bala said:

Have I missed a post, no one has mentioned spud guns.

Saw a new take on this the other year. A mate (as I understood his invention )had a piece of 4" plastic drain with end caps. The front had 12" length of plastic outlet pipe glued/welded into the centre and into the back plate he'd fitted a gas igniter (I think that's what he called it). He'd put a small spud in the front outlet, unscrew the rear end cap, squirt in quick start (from a car bar) into the drainpipe, refit end cap and wallop the gas igniter thus propelling  the spud forward at a rate of knots. He was in his md 40's so boyhood fun with things that go bang seems hard wired into our psyche.

21 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Saw a new take on this the other year. A mate (as I understood his invention )had a piece of 4" plastic drain with end caps. The front had 12" length of plastic outlet pipe glued/welded into the centre and into the back plate he'd fitted a gas igniter (I think that's what he called it). He'd put a small spud in the front outlet, unscrew the rear end cap, squirt in quick start (from a car bar) into the drainpipe, refit end cap and wallop the gas igniter thus propelling  the spud forward at a rate of knots. He was in his md 40's so boyhood fun with things that go bang seems hard wired into our psyche.

Watched a guy on Youtube last night make one.Shot it through the wing on a scrapped car.