Applying for my FAC

Hello fellow PW members.

I am about to apply for my FAC- held shotguns for nearly 10 years now and been out shooting rifles with my friends for a few years so have have some FAC experience.

I was going to apply for 22, 17HMR and either a 223/243

Land is about 500 acres - big hilly fields with plenty of safe shooting. Rabbit, fox, Chinese, Muntjac and Roe on the land and the farmer is more than happy to see all managed.

My query is I realise the 243 is the only calibre for roe in the above quarry list but I see regularly on here people getting turned down on the 243 due to inexperience on first application, am I more likely to get an approval on the 223 which is fine for Muntjac and Chinese and the Foxes? Last thing I want is to be left without a fox suitable calibre or for the smaller deer (I know you can argue the 17 hmr at certain ranges for the fox) by over cooking the first application with the 243. To me the logic is that any rifle should be used safely so there shouldn't be much difference however I'm not an FEO and its not always viewed that way by them from the feedback on here.

Can I put both on the form and write to discuss?! I don't want or need both. Can I write "or" on the form without looking like a plonker?! perhaps a covering letter?

Any Guidance would be much appreciated- I realise my next move is probably just to have a good chat with the FEO

Put in for what you want/need and familiarise yourself with the relevant sections of the guidance note concerning good reason etc.  Your local constabulary will find it difficult to refuse.  Don't get bogged down in providing additional information in covering letters, I believe it will only over complicate and confuse the situation.

It's just my personal opinion but I wouldn't bother with the HMR though.

Good luck,

Tim

Just now, Touchstone said:

Put in for what you want/need and familiarise yourself with the relevant sections of the guidance note concerning good reason etc.  Your local constabulary will find it difficult to refuse.  Don't get bogged down in providing additional information in covering letters, I believe it will only over complicate and confuse the situation.

It's just my personal opinion but I wouldn't bother with the HMR though.

Good luck,

Tim

How about just put in for hmr at the moment .thats the cal most likely to get passed off .its also gonna cover most of your quarry .then put in a variation after 6 months for the .243.

Forget the .223 

You can add the .22lr later if you decide you need a quieter gun .

Also Its definatly better to learn 1 cal at a time .imo.