Stickleback II

fatchap

Been working on a Mk2 Stickleback tool for some time now and I couldn't come up with a design that I was happy with compared to the original.....

20190127_140150.jpg.d4c668a29ef0cdb3fc61e419cb49c102.jpg

Like the one above, I wanted to change the look slightly maybe reshape the handle slightly, keep the blade to 3 inches generally give the original a bit of a makeover.

Finally come up with a item I'm happy with...

20190322-183918.jpg

20190322-183954.jpg

The handle scales are hybrid wood and resin the block itself was expensive but one look at it and I had to have it, I have more pictures but my phone stopped talking to my pooter and then everything crashed and I managed to save these two pics, the other pics show the serious amount of pattern, I will have another go at getting some more on here. 

I had a bad time with the bevels, went through a fair bit of metal before I got decent grind going. The first photo shows one mistake. I usually put a jaegermeister pin in the handle, but my usual supplier has been out of stock for weeks, I found a cheaper smaller version on the bay, all good I thought until I started to polish the handle and the pin started to disintegrate. Cheap ebay rubbish!!!

Not much I can do about it now, could try drilling it out but as I have nothing to replace it with its not worth it.

All in all quite happy with the MKII.

Edited by fatchap

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Like the grind of the blade, still prefer the way my mk1 looks. Without handling one I wouldn't know if the Mk2 was better in the hand.

Good luck with them , fantastic knife to use.

Its very similar handle wise not made too greater changes there, just a little bit more shape.

Your not the only one to prefer the MK1 quite a few people have said they prefer it. one person said "It does what it does, what it looks like when its doing it is not important"

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

now that is a nice usable piece...beautifally finished...:good:

Thanks I swiped your idea for the angle grinder jig that you use for the opinal refurbs, just with the added addition of a stop and it cuts the "thumb grip" slots perfect.

By the way is your angle grinder multi speed as mine isn't I have tried your method on antler and in all honesty makes **** of the blade channel. it just rips the antler to bits.

Edited by fatchap

3 minutes ago, fatchap said:

Thanks I swiped your idea for the angle grinder jig that you use for the opinal refurbs, just with the added addition of a stop and it cuts the "thumb grip" slots perfect.

By the way is your angle grinder multi speed as mine isn't I have tried your method on antler and in all honesty makes **** of the blade channel. it just rips the antler to bits.

not sure what you mean...explain more.....................out of the 30 i have done i have only screwed up 1 blade channel........

On 24/03/2019 at 08:15, fatchap said:

Another MKI I have just finished...

20190324-074952.jpg

Unfortunatly the bloke who ordered it don't want it now. Hate timewasters. Expected it to be bigger, made the sizes quite clear to him when he first asked me. 

Just received this one which I bought. Just required a slight alteration to the sheath and a lined hole for a lanyard. The picture doesn't do it justice. I'm well chuffed.

Thank you, Fatchap.