Browning A5, anyone got one?

Taileron

Good evening,

Had a great day on the clays yesterday and bumped into a chap who had a new browning A5, ultimate ducks variant. I shouldered it a few times and it seemed very well put together, he loved it and was rating it very highly indeed. The fit would take a bit of tweaking for my build, but nothing serious. I was wondering if anyone has owned one for a period of time and what their thoughts were based on ownership (build, reliability etc). I have done the due diligence with the usual internet searches but it’s quite limited what I have been able to find.

Many Thanks.

I don’t own one and never have but i still feel qualified to comment here as a good friend of mine who i shoot with regularly has had one for wild fowling mostly over 5 years, its not the ultimate duck version its just a black synthetic stocked style. 

He has had zero issues with it in that time, he keeps it clean lubricates it and it just keeps on going, he loves it and i can say i have never seen it misbehave any weather i will say i dont think he shoots light loads 32 gram reloads are about the lightest loads that gun shoots, so not sure if they will cope with 24 gram loads as i have never seen him use any as far as i know.

2 hours ago, Andy H said:

I own one that was  made in 1907 and it is my go to gun very reliable  but will not in any way feed anything lower than 28 grams , In the day it was a  1 1/8th -1 11/4 oz standard load gun

Andy H this is easy mistake for you to make, but this thread is the NEW A 5 not the old FN Browning auto 5.

I have the black hunter version bought it for ducks with 3 1/2 inch chamber This is my honest opinion it won’t cycle light loads no matter how much I’ve cleaned it keeps jamming and stove pipes when take it to the clay range have used it for ducks with heavier steel shot and it stills jams on occasion in the marsh The trigger pulls arnt great I just can’t get on with it you get a better sight picture with the humpback design but I’ve given up on it I now just shoot my S/S for clays and ducks I will be trading it in for o/u or beretta gas auto when get few shillings saved It also kicks a bit harder being inertia mechanics in the gun I’ve had it Year and half went on the duck forums USA People saying the same problems with New A5 Try couple semi autos out if that’s what your after But the gun not for me Hope this input helps you decide Good Luck 👍

18 hours ago, figgy said:

The wicked wings versions look good with bronze cerakoted metal bits and some good hazy camo rather than printing grasses or leaves on.

I f i had a grand spare i would buy one the cerocote has to be better than the duratouch, i like the look of the A5 .

I brought the Anerversary model a few years ago, it’s no different mechanily than a standard A5 just hevely engraved and nice stock. I have not had problems with mine but I have not used it that much compared to someone who has one as there main gun. I do like it and will be keeping mine.

The inertia guns can be fussy on lube choice gerry 78, had a lot of down time with a mates SBE Mk 1 down to wrong lubrication, his gun liked HYTRAN was only oil it would run on and it liked to be wet. any other way it would jam. Just a case of trial and error find the right combination and they run faultless.

Thanks lads I’ve tried browning oil and about 3 other kinds of lubricant I lightly coat it It’s just a jamming machine friggin paid near 1100 cash new and you expect it to work My old friend fowled for years and hated semi autos I’m now thinking he was right lol Glad my s/s will shoot any cartridge up to 3inch 🙄👍

6 minutes ago, Gerry78 said:

Thanks lads I’ve tried browning oil and about 3 other kinds of lubricant I lightly coat it It’s just a jamming machine friggin paid near 1100 cash new and you expect it to work My old friend fowled for years and hated semi autos I’m now thinking he was right lol Glad my s/s will shoot any cartridge up to 3inch 🙄👍

get some dirt in the bite of your sxs it wont shut or shoot. autos need to be lubricated and in a way they will function some like to have little or no lubrication others the opposite. Ammo can play its part too. Inertia guns if suitably lubricated and ammo used of acceptable performance function reliably .

Do not get the idea doubles are faultless any inertia cocked second barrel can malfunction its rare but jams on well set up semi autos are just as rare.

Yes fen tiger all guns can jam but if 1 barrel doesn’t fire on my s/s the other one will with double triggers Mate has beretta semi think 391 it eats any cartridge he feeds it Just that A5 been giving me issues but not to worry sure il work something out cheers 👍👍

Sorry for the late response, been on shift for a few weeks. Thanks for all the information, I’m going out tomorrow with a friend, who is meeting his friend who owns one and is kind enough to let me have a go. He has also suffered with poor feeding of anything under 32g so I’m going to run some lyvale power red 27g through it and see how it goes.

Thanks again👍

Talleron If your looking to put clay loads through a newer A5. Your looking at the wrong  gun it wasn't designed for it and won't cycle them all the time unless you modify it by changing the spring. 

Much better suited autos guns for clay loads.