Browning crown

Hudson12

Must be good if not seen any used ones for sale.  

Handle nice and look nice, only the price puts me off. Basically older style nominal bore fixed choke barrels and silver inlaid into the engraving of a 525 action. 

Heard that a new model of it is due in the autumn.

I think the 30" 12 bore with fixed chokes is the best choice in a game or all round use gun.

The 20 bore crown I handled felt so well balanced and nice in the hands. As walked up or stand one beat one game syndicate shoot gun they would be hard to beat.

• 5 months later...

I've been looking for a game gun and I have my heart set on one of these. However Browning state lead shot only - I know there are threads ongoing about using steel in non-steel guns etc, but assuming I follow Browning's instructions and want to keep my warranty etc, would anyone worry about buying one in the context of lead shot being banned any time soon? I'd hate to buy one then lead shot gets banned 😪 I don't know if I'm worrying about nothing?

The alternative would be to get the Browning Exquisite which is multi choked and ok for steel. 

As above only half chokes, not sure why no steel shot allowed. Maybe due to nominal bores rather than the backbored version.

The Miroku version the English field says same but that's tighter choked.

Iirc I was told they're not hard chrome lined bores.

Edited by figgy

When I bought it I discussed steel with the Gunshop owner and he said no problem using standard steel loads, he had been out to the Browning Factory and seen the guns being made.  

https://www.thefield.co.uk/reviews/gun-reviews/browning-525-crown-12-bore

Look in the Technical specs they are now being proofed for steel.

Edited by JRDS

Why so many are worried about lead being banned I don’t know. I honestly don’t think it will/would happen for a long time and you can happily shoot standard steel 28-32gr through any gun as long as your gun is 70mm or longer and the recommend advice is 1/2 or less choke but I, like many on here have shot steel through chokes from 1/4 to full for many years with no ill effects. My friend runs a big duck shoot and supplies gamebore steel to all guns and he’s never had a problem or complaint. This year he is moving to the new eco wad steel for environmental purposes

Dodeer the problem is lead is being looked at as bad all over Europe.  Skandanavia has banned it and use non toxic, plenty on here would like some of the steel loads other countries get. Some European countries banned lead. No one thought lead would be banned for wildfowling. I do believe a ban will come as lead and plastic is a big issue.  It's just a question of when.

"The European Commission (EC) has requested the European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) to prepare a restriction proposal addressing the risk to wildlife and humans (via the consumption of game meat) from lead in all ammunition (shot and bullets) including target shooting."

So the EU Commission have decided lead is bad and then asked its scientific body for the evidence to ban it. Which can only end one way when scientific research is conducted in this manner. I am in Ireland and under no illusion that lead will be banned in the coming years. Wherever the United Kingdom are politically at that time (depending on what happens in the coming weeks) itwill have repercussions with you. 

Edited by Croohur

Croohur even with the UK out of Europe, in order to sell food stuffs to Europe we will have to comply with the ruling. It won't only be lead but plastic wads too will go, there are eco alternatives. Micro plastics are a no no too.

Thought China might have dominated the cartridge market across Europe years ago with cheap carts, but it never happened. When a lead ban does come into force the heavy weight shot manufacturers will have a larger market.

Edited by figgy

3 hours ago, figgy said:

Croohur even with the UK out of Europe, in order to sell food stuffs to Europe we will have to comply with the ruling. It won't only be lead but plastic wads too will go, there are eco alternatives. Micro plastics are a no no too.

Thought China might have dominated the cartridge market across Europe years ago with cheap carts, but it never happened. When a lead ban does come into force the heavy weight shot manufacturers will have a larger market.

I personally hate using plastic wads as most of my shooting is on the family farm and it's not really necessary for the type of shooting I do. Very glad that manufacturers like Eley are pushing on with these new steel carts with biodegradable wads and hope more and more manufacturers start getting their finger out. 

What sticks in my craw is the lack of regard or respect to the shooting community to decide a ban will happen and then find the science to prove their point of view. If big businesses did this they would be rightly pilloried and the scientific conclusions ignored. But unelected functionaries in power can make that decision (whether it is correct or not), and whether there is an alternative or not and it will slowly churn its way into law. 

Ideally I would rather not use lead, but it feels like it is more of a ruse to price gun owners out of their own past time than a genuine attempt to be environmentally friendly.